The Positivity Thread aka "Today was a great day because....."

So a couple of weeks ago our oven, which we knew was on its last legs and we were hoping to nurse until next year when we have saved enough to remodel the kitchen, crapped out on us.

Bit of a pain but such is life. Went online to a well-known provider in the UK to find a cheap, short term replacement. Price ?139.99 but just below that for ?139.49 the same thing with delivery, installation and removal/recycling of old appliance. Let's have some of that then!

Installation occurred today via a third party contractor who confirmed the seller had screwed up and we should have been charged ?239.49 but they are legally obliged to honour the deal as advertised.

Big Business 0 MWF & HWF3.0 1

:banana:

Nice!

Are stoves gas over there or have you gone electric similar to the province of Ontario and vacation homes in Florida?

Nice!

Are stoves gas over there or have you gone electric similar to the province of Ontario and vacation homes in Florida?

We have both. In our case a four burner hob built into the kitchen worktop with a separate oven underneath which is pretty much the norm these days. The old one was gas-fired with an electric fan for heat distribution. New one is fully electric with a fan. I prefer dual-fuel myself - electric ovens tend to cook more consistently but I prefer the instant heat and control of a gas hob when cooking on the top.

Yeah, I've dealt with some electric cooktops and I never liked that what I thought was a good temperature, it was way too much and then it wasn't enough. No real easy way to modulate heat.

I'm currently (positively) flabbergasted about one of my model cars: it's a pretty valuable model which I bought back in 2014 with the right side mirror missing, for that reason it was low-ish priced. Last week I received the same model in a different (for me more desirable) colour which had been butchered with tuning rims. Since the underbody of the first model was in perfect condition I decided to swap the underbodies and try to source some sort of okay-ish spare parts for the model with a missing mirror and bad underbody. To my surprise when I disassembled the first model the right side mirror fell out of some crevice. :) That means I just need to source spare wheels to attach to the butchered suspension, then the first model will be in good condition as well. :)

We won, after getting to the finals for the very first time the FIBA EuroBasket gold medal!!! WOO! Go sportsball!

After a month of interviews, I was just offered a salary position with benefits at the largest private employer in the region.

I got the official offer call today. I'm pretty much doubling my income with this one move; sane working hours (off by 6 instead of working until 9 pm or later), health- dental- and vision- insurance, paid time off, a retirement plan, and most importantly I will not be relying on other people to show up for appointments in order to be paid!

Yesterday I had a full day scheduled. Thanks to no-shows and cancellations yesterday I got paid for 5 hours of work despite being there for a full day - no more!

Congratulations :)

Me, I've hit a floor. Don't really gain weight, but don't lose much either.

TBj5Q7n.png

5nP4imf.png

Keep at it. I've had several times where it hit a wall and I wouldn't lose any weight despite me still doing the same things.... I guess sometimes your body has to adapt for a while before it can lose more weight.

Best hint I can give you : it's okay to have a cheat every now and then.... Don't become one of those 'only lettuce and water' people. They suck

I get to look at freight trains and prairie grass from my office windows. You win on office views.

...while I tidied up my medicine cabinet (which contains just a pack of painkillers and an old first-aid kit from my car) I discovered that I use painkillers so rarely that the pack I have in my medicine cabinet still contained 6 of 20 pills and expired 8 months ago... :lol:

Ah well, since I don't even remember when I took painkillers the last time I won't buy new ones...

Another great day because I received replacements for the Osram LED bulbs which lasted not even 8 months, with the summer inbetween - I bought a pack of three in February, all three of them failed between September 25th and October 13th, and I received not one, but three packs of three bulbs. At least I have replacements for two years now if that failure rate continues... :lol:

I went on one of Lufthansa's Boeing 747 flights from Berlin to Frankfurt and it was awesome. Kept chatting to a long-term LH Technik employee who was there for exactly the same reason as me (being nuts about planes), which was very interesting. Then, near the end of the flight, a young flight attendant for whom this was the first flight on a 747 got to walk the aisles wearing a "1st Jumbo Flight" crown made by the other crew members, to the applause of the passengers. :lol:

The sounds embarrassing.

She was a bit embarrassed, but I bet that over the course of her career, she'll come across a great many passengers who embarrass themselves far more without even noticing it.