The Post Your Pets Thread

I know, I was just teasing. I could have had a dog here in Sacramento - a lot of people here in my apartment complex have them - but when I was working I would be gone for 9 hours a day. Fifi has no problem with that, she just sleeps and tries to raid my cupboard while I'm gone. But I didn't feel it would be fair or right to do that to a dog. When I move to New Hampshire and get a house, then I want to start looking at getting a dog.

I have weird taste in dogs, too. A lot of people seem to like Chihuahuas, Pomeranians, and Shih Tzus - I can't stand them. (Especially Pomeranians - they are evil dogs, Evil, I tell you!)

My roommate's dog is part Shih Tzu and Japanese Chin. She's uh... Interesting to say the least. One of my friends described her as this: "Aw, she's so ugly she's cute!" Yeaaaaah. She does a lot of tricks which may or may not go up on Youtube one day (I keep telling her to film it and upload it for instant Youtube gold/MONAY)! She doesn't pay me much mind, she only wanders in my room looking for food and then leaves when there is none to be had. :lol: When I leave to visit my Dad she does get sad because she can tell I'm leaving and very excited when I come back home. Then again, she usually greets me when I come home from work/school so at least I get that. But if I had my own animal, it would love me as much as the dog loves her owner. That, and my own animal to play with that won't get bored because I'm not their owner.

Ah yes, that dog is also a dog of habit. She knows at about 4:30 PM or so that it's feeding time so she starts getting all worked up for dinner time and so forth. Usually when my roommate wakes up she takes her out for a walk and she sneezes out of excitement so I always know when she's going for a walk or going out for a car ride. Interestingly enough the dog at my Grandma's house almost always wants to go outside at about 7:30 PM. At least she will hang out with me for a bit, or for longer if nobody's at home.

Last edited:
I like some larger dogs (Labs, Retrievers, Akitas, Saint Bernards, etc), but they are a bit tough to keep indoors as sort of indoor pets sometimes. My Grandma's house has a Golden Retriever and it doesn't work so well to keep her indoors because she doesn't get out enough (no fence, no backyard so to speak). I try to take her on walks, but it's tough. Even my roommate's little dog is quite a ball of energy sometimes and she has to go for walks twice daily or else she gets extremely upset and bugs you until she either gets food or a walk.

To be honest, if you want an easy indoor pet, you should get a cat or other small animal. If you want a dog, you really need to be prepared to set apart a chunk of your day. If Ricky (my Golden) doesn't get two long walks a day, he grouches and either glares or gives you these pathetic reproachful looks. It's quite a guilt-trip. And it doesn't matter how long we let him out in the yard because it's not enough. Usually we take him out for about an hour per walk. My roommate's Shih tzu Happy, on the other hand, also needs to go out twice (to pee and poop, at the very least), but her walks are usually about 15 minutes.

I'm definitely a big dog kind of person, too. Though Shiba Inus are adorable. I think their charm comes partly from the fact that they're built like hunting dogs, but stuck in little bodies. lol

I like some larger dogs (Labs, Retrievers, Akitas, Saint Bernards, etc), but they are a bit tough to keep indoors as sort of indoor pets sometimes.

To be honest, if you want an easy indoor pet, you should get a cat or other small animal.

Interestingly enough, Great Danes are actually supposed to be really good indoor dogs and are really laid back (once you get past the puppy stage of a year-or-so, of course).

An old friend of my mother had a great dane back in the 80's. One day it took umbrage at being being locked out of a particular room and decided to eat through the bottom corner of the door while nobody was home. The hole was about a foot wide. :lol:

Oh boy, puppy stage. The only part I don't like about having a dog or cat. Yes, they are mostly cute, but they want to chew up your stuff and or break things (I can deal with that mostly, the only things I would be worried about are of my major collection of electronics and their cables.

:hmm: Great Danes are pretty nice too. I wouldn't mind having one of those also on the consideration list for one day sometime in the future when I have ability to have dogs and or cats. (I just forgot about that breed, yay for forgetting!) Most likely I'll probably have a cat first before a dog I think because they don't need quite as much attentions as dogs do.

(Also thanks for not getting mad at me for my preferred and not preferred dog list since phoenix pointed it out! :))

Also, wow siggie. It ATE part of the door? :blink:

Yep. A large part. :lol:

My mum used to have a picture of me standing next to him. He looked like a horse next to me. I was only about 3 I think.

I had St Bernards when I was a kid, they were huge, maybe I'll check my photo album, if I find any pics I'll scan and upload them.

This is Carl Gustaf, my new baby, a 4 months old Bengal cat. This breed is a mix of a regular cat and an Asian leopard cat. The colours are fantastic, he looks like a small leopard. And this cat loves to be with other cats and dogs. He is dominant, but he likes to be and play with dogs, cats and humans.

petit-18.jpg

petit-17.jpg

petit-16.jpg

petit-15.jpg

Bengal cats are sooooooooooo cute! :wub:

OMG he's gorgeous!!!

I have been fantasising about getting a spotted Bengal if I can ever afford it. Mrs stiggie would like a marble Bengal in shades of grey. Do you mind if I ask how much he cost you?

He is absolutely beautiful. Also, love his name. Were you thinking of the rifle, or Jung? (or perhaps something else entirely that I am not smart enough to know about. :p)

Aw, he is super cute! I love those sort of cats, but they are too expensive for anyone I know to afford as a pet.

A size comparison-

Thor at 2 months of age
010Thor.jpg

and Thor at 7 months of age (picture flipped horizontally to match the one above)
IMAG0303-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: h-p
OMG he's gorgeous!!!

I have been fantasising about getting a spotted Bengal if I can ever afford it. Mrs stiggie would like a marble Bengal in shades of grey. Do you mind if I ask how much he cost you?

I paid 1500 $ CAD (CAD and AUD are about the same these days) castrated and declawded from a breeder in Montr?al. The price may vary depending where you are and depending of the colours of the cat. A marble Bengal starts at 800 $ castrated but not declawded.