The Post Your Threads

jedd_kenobi

Forum Addict
Car(s)
A Blue Police Box
Upon returning and taking a look at the forums. There's something I've noticed and there seems to be quite a few threads popping up which are based around people posting a lot of personal information. Things like posting their homes, pictures of themselves, cars, purchases and so on.
Am I the only person that isn't slightly concerned with the amount information that is being dispensed in such a cavalier method. Since some of these threads are out in the public they can be viewed by anyone and who knows how this information could end up being used.
This isn't a criticism to those who have posted. I know some are all too willing to share but surely people should look on the side of caution before openly sharing so much.

Well, no one is forcing anyone to post, I'm sure the ones who do are aware of the consequences and willing to take the chances of doing so.

What gaasc said. We're big boys and girls here.

House or car, fair enough, but if someone can steal my identity by my socks then I think they deserve it more than I.

As long as it's your own info, I'm not concerned (you're on the Internet, you should know the risks) - but I'm amazed how careless many people are.
What really annoys me is people posting pictures of other people, and I presume without permission. And stuff like numberplates should always be shopped out, too.

Last edited:
For the record: When attending a FinalGear meet, everybody knows the pictures will end up here - I'm fine with it. Hell, I publicly announce my FinalGearism on my car and occasionally on a t-shirt.
I don't like that nobody seems to care about the plates, though, but I've realized that I can't win that fight. :(

Everyone needs to know his oder her boundaries personal-information wise ... and live with consequences when they share too much. Maybe some inexperienced users should be reminded of such risks from now and then, but I personally know pretty well what I?m doing (and what not to).

It?s not like people here are pushed into that kind of behaviour here ... I personally do quite well not posting too much about myself, but then again, people need to know for themselves what they want to share with the world, and what not.

House or car, fair enough, but if someone can steal my identity by my socks then I think they deserve it more than I.

Hbriz, you are a good example of what jedd is worried about. Anybody who is familiar with Wollongong can pin-point the exact location of your house from the pictures you've posted of your car.

Hbriz, you are a good example of what jedd is worried about. Anybody who is familiar with Wollongong can pin-point the exact location of your house from the pictures you've posted of your car.

And likewise anyone who has posted pictures of their car in their local areas. It's not something I'm necessarily concerned about. People can find where I live by looking in a telephone book, too.

I think I've participated in the "Pets" edition and that's about it (because who doesn't want to see cute cuddwy-wuddwies!)

But, yeah, I kind of agree. People need to value their privacy more.

Cheers for the responses all. I understand that many are aware of the dangers of posting far too much personal information online.
I just think that when it comes to personal stuff and I mean truly personal stuff that may jeopardise people's personal identities or information it should be kept to more secure parts of the forum.

People should just be aware of the dangers before posting.

Definitely an interesting topic - epp_b brings up an interesting point: if all you want to post is pictures of your cutey-wootsie fluffballs, then so be it. My signature has links to two things with my name on it. Find me on fb if you want. But I'll pass on posting the ownership documents when I buy a car/house.

For the record: When attending a FinalGear meet, everybody knows the pictures will end up here - I'm fine with it. Hell, I publicly announce my FinalGearism on my car and occasionally on a t-shirt. I don't like that nobody seems to care about the plates, though, but I've realized that I can't win that fight. :(

Yes people are saying 'I'm fine to be in these photos' by turning up (basically), but it can also be said that it is your car, and by bringing it along you say the same for the numberplates.