The "Questions for Spectre" thread

Question for Blaro - how come you haven't got the shop that put the new motor into in to come and pick it up and fix it on their time/dime?

Because they won't pick up their phone.

They now know your number by heart. lol

Dunno how a bad starter would cause the car to stop working on the freeway, however.

Your right, but by tracking down that problem it will lead to the other. Did you check the fuses and fusible links with a meter? If the switch isn't getting power, nothing along that line will either.

Oddly enough, a lot of them were published in the hot rodding mags of the time - Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc., etc. JD Power (before they stopped allowing their data to be peer reviewed) and RL Polk were the original source of some of the studies. GM and Nissan also had internal studies; I believe GM's turbo studies were part of the big one on reliability, the one where they determined that the statistically best startup & warmup method was start, idle for 30 seconds, then drive away briskly. The name escapes me at the moment.
You must publish more peer reviewed journals before giving Spectre more accreditation.

Don't I know that feeling. Solution: just show up when you know they're working.

At this point, I wouldn't trust those bastards with getting a RadioShack RC car running any time before the inevitable heat-death of the universe.

Just plugged my OBDII scanner in. No codes.

:unsure:

Electrical failures often don't set codes. OBD2 is not God-mode diagnostics.

Was just surprised because the CEL went on while I was driving, and I thought the code might remain in there from that.

Lots of cars set the check engine light on when the engine stalls for mechanical reasons but no code gets stored. Lots also set the light on when the computer drops below critical voltage while running - and again, no code gets stored.

Got multimeter?

Lots of cars set the check engine light on when the engine stalls for mechanical reasons but no code gets stored. Lots also set the light on when the computer drops below critical voltage while running - and again, no code gets stored.

Got multimeter?

Yes. What should I check? Relays?

Well, before we get into that, what's it doing now that you've put the fully charged battery back into it?

Same thing. Clicks once when I crank it, and then nothing. Radio and headlights all work and everything. Battery wires are solid. Fusible links have that little copper bit right up front, but unbroken there. Crank/cam position sensors are in place.

Do the lights dim at all when a start is attempted? Did they load test your battery or just check voltage?

I believe they just checked the voltage, then charged it. The dashboard lights do go dim when I attempt to crank it.

BlaRo, do you hear any noises from the starter when you turn the key? You may want to start checking wires.

The Mazda 3 I buy next month will be my first new car. Should the first oil change come early, or just stick with the normal interval?