The "Questions for Spectre" thread

Der Stig calls that 2.5 I4 the lunchbox motor - because it randomly lunches itself. (He used to work at a Nissan dealer.) The automatic behind it isn't great and that one's right about at the mileage where it will explode.

IIRC, FG collective ownership of those early Camry-fighter Altimas hasn't been very good either. Ninjacoco had one (from new? Not sure) that was a horrible POS. I forget who owned the other one but I seem to recall a similarly bad experience.

If you must get an Altima from this era, get the 3.5L V6. That makes it the Maxima drivetrain (literally in the early ones - the engine had the same power despite the advertised claim of 20 less) and it just works out better all around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments on the Altima

I guess I need to review what we're looking for:
About $3,500 max out-lay
Small/mid-size sedan/coupe, 2000 or newer. IMHO, the kids have really odd tastes. The son saw an Escape he liked yesterday... and, a small pick-up would probably be OK.
4 cyl. automatic (Slow is good in this scenario - I guess she might go for a V6, given the right car; but she really wants a 4 cyl.)
Reliable transportation, 'driving fun' is secondary
Decent fuel mileage (relative...)
No rust, or at least very little (Jill and her daughter are a bit fashion-conscious)
Reasonably nice interior with either a decent sound system or a replaceable head unit

I know that it's quite a bit to ask for, but we found a very nice Sentra for her daughter a couple of years ago for $2,500. Now her son will be driving, so he'll probably inherit the black Sentra and the daughter will get what we hope will be a 'nicer' car (unless she buys a small pickup, in which case the son will drive that. :?)

SL

Camcord, you have just described a Camcord.

It's Ohio. You need to do that with *every* car there. :p

I know, but I'd go through that even more so...

toybent_zps4e051b43.jpg

I found this TSX at a Toyota dealer with an asking price of 4k, but it has nearly 200k on it.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ListingId=439712301&listingId=436750597&Log=0

07 Fusion, only has 130k, but it's a V6.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ListingId=439712301&listingId=435508466&Log=0

01 Celica, 117k
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ListingId=439712301&listingId=439203888&Log=0

Last edited:
First, the Chillicothe listing was found by accident. Our local Craigslist is the one from Huntington, WV which serves the tri-state (Huntington, WV ? Ashland, KY ? Ironton, OH) area. Craigslist must now show ?nearby? listings automatically because I didn?t ask for it on that search?

Camcord, you have just described a Camcord.

A Camry or Accord would be just wonderful ? if you could find one without problems.

I would put money on that listing being a prank. Toyota pickups go for big money around here, despite their rust problems. And yes, if we get close to a purchase, I?ll have the car/truck up on a lift?

Of the three cars listed, the Celica would be the most likely, but Cambridge is probably farther than Jill wants to go to test-drive a car. It?s a bit over 3 hours from us, even given perfect driving conditions?

SL

Hey Spectre, what are your thoughts on the half ton 4WD truck market?

I'm looking for something to use for camping trips up north where I would need a decent 4WD. I'm leaning towards a full size truck due to the size and comfort. The F150 seemed like a logical choice, most likely the previous gen. I like the upper level trim packages and they offered an electronic locking rear diff (as a stand alone option I believe), which is a big plus.

But how reliable have they been? It seems like most used models are Ecoboost V6's and I've heard some conflicting rumors about reliability. Have you heard anything? Are there other half ton trucks that I should consider first?

Thanks!

The only things I've heard of that can't be explained by stupid owners is the DI carboning issue, which affects all DI engines to a greater or lesser extent. There's solvents you can use to try to clean the back of the valves and if you use Top Tier gas it's supposed to be greatly reduced or eliminated.

- - - Updated - - -
If you look around in the Texas market, you'll find lots of the 32V 5.0L Coyote V8 trucks, too. :D They're not all Ecoboosts, nor are the V8s a tiny minority.

In any case, the GM trucks really aren't worth looking at and the Dodges, while improved, are still suspicious. The Titan is long in the tooth and not really worth it at this point and the Tundra isn't all that sturdy for offroading or hauling - good drivetrain and comfortable enough to drive around town, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
I don't see how using premium fuels will help carbon buildup on the back of the valves. It might help on the injector itself, but that is not the only place DI engines are having a carbon problem.

I don't see how using premium fuels will help carbon buildup on the back of the valves. It might help on the injector itself, but that is not the only place DI engines are having a carbon problem.

Top Tier does not mean premium fuels, it just means that the fuel meets minimum standards *and* that it has a detergent/additive package that meets standards for both keeping the combustion chamber clean but also tries to prevent carbon deposits on things like valves. The carbon buildup on the back of DI engines' intake valves is caused by particulates and gases not completely evacuated from the cylinders before the exhaust valves close. What these additives do (in part) is try to prevent these deposits from bonding or sticking to the metal of the valve, valve seat or indeed anywhere else in the engine.

In fact, some of the cheapest fuel you can get actually meets Top Tier - the QuikTrip and QT discount gasoline chains. CostCo Gasoline as well: http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

That's not the *only* place DI motors have carbon issues, but it is the biggest one, it's the most common one and seems to affect all DI motors to one degree or other.

Last edited:
Also, this: http://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

Sorry about the CR link, but in this case they're just repeating what the AAA found in their recent test (can't find the original AAA link or they put it behind a member paywall again) so they're not pulling numbers out of their ass like they often do.

CR-Cars-Inline-AAA-Fuel-Quality-Comparison-07-16.jpg

For its test, the lab operated an engine continuously for 100 hours on a cycle to represent 4,000 real-miles of use. The engine was then disassembled, photographed, and its key components weighed and measured to determine the thickness of carbon deposits. Six fuels were used, randomly selected and split among three basic gasoline sources and three Top Tier.

The results showed that on average, Top Tier gasoline had 19 times fewer carbon deposits on injectors, intake valves, and in the combustion chamber when compared to regular gasoline.

AAA also found Top Tier gasoline can have a cleansing effect, reducing intake valve deposits by 45 to 72 percent when used over a 5,000-mile interval. Variation in the results is attributed to the detergents used by different brands.

Further, analyzing gas prices over a 12-month period found just a three cent price difference between non-Top Tier and Top Tier gasoline.

Given the advent and rapid spread of DI gasoline engines, the introduction of Top Tier is probably about as significant to engine life as the split between gasoline engine, diesel engine and motorcycle oil after the API SG standard. (Motorcycles with integrated gearboxes, which is to say most of them, *cannot* safely use post-SG gasoline car oils due to the SH-and-later formulation changes, whereas most pre-SH cars would be better served by moving to diesel oils as the SH and later standards reduced lubrication and protection in favor of mostly useless environmental protection measures whereas diesel oils mostly didn't.)

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, found the original AAA report: https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report.pdf

If you look around in the Texas market, you'll find lots of the 32V 5.0L Coyote V8 trucks, too. :D They're not all Ecoboosts, nor are the V8s a tiny minority.

Even among the higher trim levels? Looking around on eBay motors and craigslist doesn't turn up many Platinum or King Ranch editions with a V8. Even the FX4's seem to be mostly Ecoboost. Not that I would mind, but I think I would prefer the simplicity of a good old V8. And the soundtrack.

Even among the higher trim levels? Looking around on eBay motors and craigslist doesn't turn up many Platinum or King Ranch editions with a V8. Even the FX4's seem to be mostly Ecoboost. Not that I would mind, but I think I would prefer the simplicity of a good old V8. And the soundtrack.

As CrazyJeeper would be first to mention if he weren't heading off on a family trip at oh-dark-thirty this morning: In this generation of F-150, the only real difference between the Lariat and Platinum is the grade and style of the leather, pretty much everything else is the same. The KR has a couple more trim badges, unique trim bits and such but is functionally the same as the Lariat. Might as well get a Lariat. :D

But yes, even among those level trucks you can find V8s. It should be mentioned that most of the people who bought the V8s are still using them whereas many of the Ecoboost buyers are trading in for new aluminum EcoBoosts.

Keep in mind for your CL searches that CL thinks "F150" and "F-150" are two totally different things.

I completely understand what "top tier" fuels are, premium was a bad choice on my part.

I think part of the problem, in fact I would call it most of the problem, comes from the PVC system and blow by gasses. This seems to be even more prevalent on turbo charged engines that also have low friction rings.

There are other factors. Cheap oils and not changing oil at the proper interval. Not getting the engine up to temp. These are all part of the reasons that catch can systems are becoming popular add ons to these engines.