The random thoughts threads

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Does anyone else think that they are too active? So many people treat them like IRC or something. I mean, the "New Thread" button isn't hard to click. Don't be scared to use it. Everything on the forums doesn't have to be piled into as single impossible to follow thread...

I think they serve a purpose, but they are definitely overused. I've seen a few "posting this in here because it gets more traffic" questions when really what it does is doom the question and responses to obscurity. And yes, IRC-like discussions for those of us who are afraid of being licked :cry:

No, I wasn't suggesting killing them off at all. I just think too much stuff is posted into there that is better off in it's own thread.

What's really annoying is when people do post a new thread, only to have a dozen idiots flame him/her for reposting something that could be found on page 28,785 of some random thoughts thread.

What's really annoying is when people do post a new thread, only to have a dozen idiots flame him/her for reposting something that could be found on page 28,785 of some random thoughts thread.

This annoys me as well. Like I have time to follow a thread that generates a dozen pages a day...

This annoys me as well. Like I have time to follow a thread that generates a dozen pages a day...

Says the man with 26,614 posts. :p

I do agree more threads would be better.

I suggest reporting people who flame about starting such threads. We'll chastise them and let the person who started the thread know that they did not make a mistake.

I suggest reporting people who flame about starting such threads. We'll chastise them and let the person who started the thread know that they did not make a mistake.

I agree that would be the way to do it. I think we are becoming a bit unfriendly to new members on account of that and the random thoughts threads.

I agree, but having 135 new threads each day would also be bad, no?
Discussing guidelines would be impossible, I guess. :|

That is most members with more than 10 posts. The number of threads started by new members here, who then end up with massive neg rep and no incentive to stay is a disgrace; unless the forum is intent on self destruction (along with the tv program it acts as fan site for).

TomCat is spot on with his observation. I have thought the same for the last year or two.

I also think that the rep system doesn't work here. It makes the forum a closed shop and stifles open discussion. Many post are just rep suck ups, which I have no interest in reading and have made my visits to this forum increasingly less frequent ... which is probably a relief to some.

And yes, IRC-like discussions for those of us who are afraid of being licked :cry:

/me licks thevictor390

:D

And here I thought you'd be more scared of the wiley slap happy trout :tease:

As for threads, any problems with a Math thread, Homework Help Thread, I'm Bored Please Amuse Me Thread and Your Opinions Please thread? (for starters)

So we have a Random Thoughts Threads Thread where one can post random thoughts about the random thoughts threads?

yo-dawg-xzibit-48.jpg

GerFix is right though. We (and I include myself in this) are rather too hasty in pouncing on n00bs who do things and don't know any better and we should perhaps cut them a little more slack. That's not to say that there aren't recent additions who haven't made an impression, in some cases not necessarily for all the right reasons, but I think if one comes along with the right attitude and joins in proceedings in the correct spirit..... Shirahime, NoNeedForAChestWig and the late great Lieutenant 47 spring to mind. They arrived with somewhat of a bang and quickly embroiled themselves in forum life.

But yes, a little more n00b nursing and patience and understanding from the core might help a bit.

And ash? Please start all those threads at once. In one fell swoop you have found a home for narf, LeMans GTR, MaxtortheOne and rick(procrastinator-in-chief)hamilton620 respectively.

I shall be filling the Maths Thread with funny pictures post haste! :lol:

I like the dolly mixture nature of the Random thoughs threads and the stuff I put in is usually in response to other people's thoughts but it is difficult to keep a track of I agree, that is for the management - Ron and Ron.

I pledge to be a better Random Thought person from now on. ...

How about a "Do Not Respond to this, I just have to get it off my chest" thread?

Strictly NO RESPONSES allowed. Purely for ranting/confession purposes.

Most forums I've visited have these type of threads. It's usually populated by a certain set of people who just chat there, which is fine. I don't follow any of the "big ones", there's just too much noise. It annoys me that stuff that would perfectly well deserve its own thread gets lost there. So when you post there, you should be aware that only a limited bunch will probably get to notice/read it, and thanks to vb4's amazing search nobody will ever find it, even if he knew what to look for.

I think sometimes an intersting actual discussion starts in random thoughts that would benifit from having it?s own thread ... but usally there is little to indicate that a random thoughts post will actually lead to such an discussion. It?s like smalltalk ... sometimes it?s just meaningless blabla ... and suddenly you are in an actually interesting conversation and you just think "how the hell did that just happen by accident?"

But maybe I?m just the wrong guy to talk about threads and postings ... I have made 4500 posts :banana: ... and only started 23 threads. So what do I know about threads? Practially nothing ...