The RC Cars/Planes/Boats/Helis thread

Upgrade time!

Well not really, more like modding.

Added some larger Durbro Wheels to the front and dremeled out one of the fronts to replace the tiny rear wheel. Taxiing and landing on grass is far more controllable now. It is quite happy to touch down and not dig in and topple like it used to with the crappy small foam wheels.

pics:

It's a bush plane!

The Bush Plane now has a friend. I went in to pick up some bits from the local and walked out with a BNF Micro Sukhoi and a few extra lipos for it.

Damn this thing is small! Unfortunately too small to fly in the breeze we have today, so its staying inside for now.

A few pics for comparison though.

Weight of my 3s 1300mah Lipo

Weight of the Sukhoi with its battery

Sukhoi and 1300mah 3s

Sukhoi vs the Super Cub

Yeah I know, lots of photos, but its a bit hard not to when its too windy to fly.

I want this mean mother f#&$er so bad.

Any hint at where to get it with a good buying experience that isn't Banana Hobby?

Last edited:
That thing is badass but I'd be too afraid of the ill handling characteristics of flying wings to fly one.

The Bush Plane now has a friend. I went in to pick up some bits from the local and walked out with a BNF Micro Sukhoi and a few extra lipos for it.

Damn this thing is small! Unfortunately too small to fly in the breeze we have today, so its staying inside for now.

A few pics for comparison though.

Weight of my 3s 1300mah Lipo

Weight of the Sukhoi with its battery

Sukhoi and 1300mah 3s

Sukhoi vs the Super Cub

Yeah I know, lots of photos, but its a bit hard not to when its too windy to fly.

Hey mate, have you flowen the Sukhoi at all? Im in the market for a plane and thats one of the ones im looking at for a starter plane. Would be interested in hearing how it performs.

Well this evening I headed out, but it was still way to windy for the Sukhoi. First impressions are that it is super fragile. I damaged the rudder when it toppled over from a gust of wind, literally with it just sitting on the ground.

Weather was only good for snapping a couple of pics.

Hey mate, have you flowen the Sukhoi at all? Im in the market for a plane and thats one of the ones im looking at for a starter plane. Would be interested in hearing how it performs.

have you flown any r/c planes before? for a starter i think the Sukhoi would be way too much of a handful, if you want a micro, the Hobyzone Champ is pretty much the undisputed best first plane to teach yourself on (or if you want a classic WWI biplane, the Flyzone Albatros, which i have). then once you feel ready for a 4-channel move up to the T-28 (i absolutely love mine). from there you should be ready for any of the other micros :)

Last edited:
A guy at my drifting club let me fly his Sukhoi a few times (no takeoff or landings though), and I agree it is a bit of a handful. But at the same time hugely enjoyable once I got the hang of it, which is why im looking at it. He did suggest practicing on a sim for a little bit as well.

have you thought about the PoleCat?
PKZU1480-GAL06.jpg

aside from me lucking out and getting one of the first batch with bad bricks (they are sending me a replacement), i love mine. its not as extreme as the Sukhoi, but it is still VERY capable and will do pretty much any maneuver short of 3D flying....and it just looks good ;)

Last edited:
Whoops, went to get some more batteries for the Sukhoi last night and walked out with a BNF Parkzone F4F Wildcat :lol:

As stated above, I don't think the Sukhoi is a great starters plane, its quite "twitchy" even on low rates, good fun once you get used to it though.

Anyway, due to the F4F taking the same batteries as my super cub it had its maiden flight late yesterday evening. I was highly impressed although at first I was thinking that the low rates they suggested for ailerons was a bit lacking. Upon landing I discovered one of the wires had popped out of the right aileron connector sometime after launch.

It was a bit dark so no fancy stuff, but hopefully after work today I can get in a better flight.

...Has anyone ever tried to strap a Cox 049 on the front of a foamy with any remote success? I imagine the alcohol and oil won't do the foam any favors but I'm sure someone somewhere has gotten one to last more than two flights before melting.

Yeah, heat and oil will be the killer.

You can get monster Brushless motors these days fairly cheap. That would be a more reliable bet. Or rebuild the front end out of wood/CF rods.

I'm aware that BL is cheaper and reliable. Don't care. They don't put a smile on my face the same way ICE does, and I'm in this for the smile factor not cost effectiveness or reliability.

Besides, a well kept 049 will run quite reliably, and you can get throttled surestarts at coxengines.ca. See: http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=323&quantity=1

They also make heads that facilitate the use of bog standard 1/4x32 glow plugs, and thus standard glow ignitors, which I would also fit. I may lose a few hundred RPM on the top end, but that head conversion is said to give the best midrange, best throttle response, and lowest idle. If you ask me, worth every penny.

Last edited:
I'd say go with the CF rods glued into the foam chassis and then attach either a metal or wood motor mount to that. Should be plenty strong and distribute the vibrations through the whole air-frame rather than the first few cm of foam.

Repost?

I'm having thoughts of adding a touring car to my collection to go racing. Saw this for $200 RTR:

prv_prd_390x390_120200.jpg

LRP S10 Blast

Haven't really had experience with LRP stuff, but from what I understand they're the European version of Team Associated? Seems pretty alright for entry-level touring car racing.

Also need some short-course tyre advice. Thinking of getting a set of rear tyres for the SC10 when hooning off-road on loose dirt - ideas? Since my car's 2WD I can't be bothered upgrading the fronts.

Last edited:
I know LRP and AE are related but I'm not sure how the overseas branding works. If it is an AE car, most likely, it's a TC4 or TC5, both of which can usually be found for roughly the same price long as you don't go for the FT race kit.

As for tires...loose dirt = big lugs. So get the knobbiest meats you can. I do suggest you nab a set of fronts too, they may not drive the truck but if you've got a fine pin-type racing tire on the front it's going to handle like a Mack truck in that loose dirt...not to mention wear the fronts out in short order.

Last edited:
Also need some short-course tyre advice. Thinking of getting a set of rear tyres for the SC10 when hooning off-road on loose dirt - ideas? Since my car's 2WD I can't be bothered upgrading the fronts.

Proline Caliber 2.0's are really good for loose dirt. My track is pretty loose and they provide tons of grip. Great for racing, but perhaps a bit too much grip for general bashing. The Proline Gladiators would be a good option for that.

Last edited: