Ownership Verified: The "RS" stands for "Really Slow"

tumblr_n45305iYwM1s02rnqo1_400.gif

Theseu's Porsche? :p

Some time ago, actually before the oil change, the car had started to make an odd noise when warm. One person said it sounded like an exhaust leak, but that didn't seem to be it. The pattern would have made it from a single cylinder rather than from further down the exhaust, and all of those joints were tight and not leaking. So we had a mechanic look and listen. The mechanic said the sound was coming from the vacuum pump. The pump was probably failing. It wasn't a major concern, though. This car has a vacuum pump because it does not always create enough vacuum to drive everything for the motor plus the brake boost and the exhaust flaps. It prioritizes the motor's needs, so when the vacuum pump fails, our exhaust flaps won't work anymore and the brakes will feel a bit different. The brakes will lose part of their boost, but not all of it. That symptom list is not particularly concerning, so the mechanic recommended waiting until it actually failed to replace it. We double-checked with Sharkwerks that all of this was sane (since they made so many changes to the car), and James agreed it seemed like a reasonable course. So we carried on.

At our next track day... the pump failed. The brakes became just a bit softer (but not by much). I didn't notice the exhaust. The car ran fine the rest of the day, though. We then brought the car home and tried to order the part. There's a sticker on the old vacuum pump that has the part number, but in 9 years, it's faded:

sCvCJ1k.jpg

We did our best to guess at the part number, and sent the image to the place we ordered the part as well. They checked their catalog, and no part number that seemed to match any interpretation of what's pictured was in the catalog. However, there was a vacuum pump listed for a 2007 GT3. This website seems to pull from the same catalog, and you can see the vacuum pump listed as 997.105.016.90. Sometimes a change is made to a part, and the part number updated, but the part will still work. So the part number that was sent is 997.105.016.90. This also suggests that faded part number is 997.105.016.71. Google had no results when I searched for that number, though (presumably it'll index this at some point and this post will become the result). And, of course, that 71 (particularly the 1) is a best guess based on a terribly faded number - maybe it's something else that is hiding in the catalog somewhere.

There was a mix-up that delayed shipping, etc., and we didn't end up getting the part until Friday. Yesterday we tried to install it. We got the old pump off and discovered... the parts are different.

14700741_10157566873980521_1773370339255385380_o.jpg

Well that's just great. Note the sticker on the new part we have says 997.105.016.90 AS01 (barely visible in that image). I don't know if that AS01 is relevant or not, but... after poking around at the online version of the catalog... I'm just confused. There is no 997.2 (or 2010/2011) GT3 listed there. There's two "oil supply return line" categories with different parts in them, but only one of them actually has a vacuum pump and neither has a 997.105.016.71 part. There is a "Vacuum line tandem pump" in the other "oil supply return line" part of the catalog, but the price difference suggests it's rather different.

We emailed the parts supplier to let them know, and we emailed the Sharkwerks folks to see if they had any insight. James replied that the new part, the .90, is for the 997.2, saying, "That engine has no scavenge pump driven by the cam and has variable exhaust cams hence the different drive system." He also offered to find the correct part number on Monday. They have a few different databases and systems to search for part numbers (we watched them dig through them when looking for the power steering line), so hopefully they have one with the correct part number. This makes me happy - both that they're so helpful, and that James knows off the top of his head exactly what's going on, just from a few photos.

This delay is disappointing, though, as it's unlikely we'll be able to get the correct vacuum pump in hand before next weekend, which we'll be spending at TWS.

Full gallery from the installation attempt.

Google had no results when I searched for that number, though (presumably it'll index this at some point and this post will become the result). And, of course, that 71 (particularly the 1) is a best guess based on a terribly faded number - maybe it's something else that is hiding in the catalog somewhere.

Try without the dots. At least in the case of Mercedes the stickers and stamped part numbers have spaces in them but no one actually writes them like that. I get some results for 99710501671, e.g. this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Vakuumpumpe-...Turbo-Benzin-M97-70-99710501671-/321952615405

That suggests we're reading the part number correctly - the one you linked is the same part. The part in this post also shows the same part number. Unfortunately, there still aren't any new parts available with that number, so it's still not clear if that part number has been superseded or if the catalog is wrong.

Wait, a German car company that might have an error in a parts catalog. What is wrong with this world?

:p

Well it definitely sounds like it's replaced by the new part number. That happens with M-Bs all the time (there might be 5 numbers for the same part) but in the case of M-B the catalogue clearly says it.

Mystery solved. The part we received is definitely for a 997.2 (2010) GT3. Unfortunately, you can't buy a vacuum pump for a 997.1 GT3, even though it has a Porsche part number. We have to buy a tandem pump which is the vacuum pump and the oil scavenging pump bundled together as a single part number.

Good news: Suncoast is taking the 997.2 pump back and shipping out the tandem pump.
Bad news: From Germany and it cost USD$1500 because we have to buy the oil pump part that we don't need.

For the fun of it I shall wander into a Porsche Zentrum tomorrow equipped with the part number for both the standalone pump as well as the replacement tandem pump, and see what price and availability they are throwing at me. And what kind of confused look :D.

Porsches be expensive!

The new and correct Tandem Pump Cyl 1-3 arrived yesterday, so this morning we set about to do the replacement for real. This time through, now that we kind of knew what we were doing the whole endeavor took about 30 minutes start to finish. We delicately removed the vacuum pump from the oil pump portion of the replacement part...

Then pulled off the bad pump and replaced it with the new pump...

The car fired up, showed good oil pressure, and after about a minute of disconcerting oil smoke everything seemed all good. Brakes feel great again and we're now basking in the smug, self-satisfaction that comes from doing your own car repair work.

All the pictures up at the Flickr album. I also documented the steps of the repair on a thread over on Rennlist.

:thumbsup:

You have some weird animal silhouettes there. I see a horse, a duck, a strange stork. Why is the dolphin bent that way? A dog or cat. Is that the Flash? A scorpion, and is that last one a Pterodactyl?

You have some weird animal silhouettes there. I see a horse, a duck, a strange stork. Why is the dolphin bent that way? A dog or cat. Is that the Flash? A scorpion, and is that last one a Pterodactyl?

That's the Ben Spies method :lol: