The RWD extremist thread

Strelok16

Car(s)
'69 Mustang project, '92 Buick Retiree-gal
I mean, there are at least a few of us left on here, right? Those of us who, for all sorts of reasons real and imagined, have issues, justified or not, with all drivetrains other than good old RWD and would never drive anything else by choice?

Where is posmo?

silver-busa-burnout.jpg

I use to be a bit obsessed with RWD superiority, but I've grown up a bit in recent years. Still my favorite layout, when done properly of course. I don't subscribe to this nonsense that anything RWD is automatically superior, simply because you can drift it. Which is illegal on the road and annoys the shit out of people on the track.

Re: The RWD extremist thread

I can't really agree on the word extremist, but for most purposes I really prefer rwd cars. This much should also be apparent from the cars field in my profile. Fwd just can't give you the feeling of stepping on the throttle in a corner and feeling the front end turn in even sharper. And then I'm not even mentioning stuff like steering feel and traction.

:Raises hand:*

*Also owns a FWD vehicle that does not run.

^ I meant what it is as well; any car in reverse can be a Beetle - just my way of putting it was that your Beetle is......nevermind.

Yeah, I also prefer RWD but rather baulk at the term extremeist.

FWD have their place in the city, nipping around in the traffic and parking easily.
What scares me is seing FWD cars zooming down the motorways at high speeds 80+mph, with their drivers unaware of their limits.

(No, I don't mean cars like a VW Golf R32 or big Audis, but the small 1l Euro-snot boxes.)

:smile:

Last edited:
I think i can be put into the extremist part, i mainly drive RWD cars, and in the seat of a FWD, i get frustrated at how it doesn't handle like i'm used to :p

What i've never got though, is the guy that'll point at my car and tell me it's crap, because FWD cars are superior on snow...
do FWD owners confuse FWD with AWD?

Another RWD extremist here.

I still have to drive a RWD daily, but every time I have been in one I liked the way the steering felt compared to FWD cars.

Has nothing to do with drifting - never did that...

I don't notice the drivetrain in a normal car under normal conditions. The only car I've driven in a performance environment was FWD, and it was tons of fun (Focus ST). RWD is preferred but by no means necessary.