The S60R is dead... Long Live the S60R

British_Rover

Car(s)
2005 Gr Cherokee, dealer demo
Yes I said S60R and not BS R-Design.

There will be another S60R and yes it will have more power. Not sure how much more but more plus unique styling and suspension. I am sure there will be upgraded brakes and a unique interior that is supposed to be better then the current R-Design interiors.

No I don't have a link to cite you have to take my word for it.

I got it straight from our Volvo meeting this past week right with our Rep.

There were also pictures but we couldn't keep them.

The only other detail I know for sure is no manual trans will be offered. It just doesn't make sense to offer it in the US for the low amount of sales it would generate. You would end up with a S60R manual that was a few thousand dollars more then a S60R automatic.

Will it use the straight 6?

Will it use the straight 6?

Yes, yes it will. That is the most powerful engine Volvo makes currently as the V8 is out of production as of last year.

You want one even more set up for RWD don't you?

Last edited:
I would, but I'm guessing I can't bolt on a T5 to the end of it. :p

I do like L6s.

You want one even more set up for RWD don't you?

Given their issues with the angle gear in the last S60R/V70R i wonder if they would consider a RWD version. I assume of course they will probably go with a beefier version of the latest Haldex drivetrain but still RWD would be pretty sweet.

Given their issues with the angle gear in the last S60R/V70R i wonder if they would consider a RWD version. I assume of course they will probably go with a beefier version of the latest Haldex drivetrain but still RWD would be pretty sweet.

I don't see Volvo going back to RWD.

Yeah, i think an AWD version is the best we can hope for.

Last edited:
Just got the tech specs on the new S60R for 2012.

All revised suspension system and chassis that is even more aggressive then the advanced setting in the current 4C chassis.

The R will have 325 hp @ 5,400-6,500 rpm vs 300 @ 5,600 rpm for the T6.

Torque will be 354 @ 3,000-3,600 for the R vs 325 @ 2,100-4,200.

All sorts of improvements to engine management and DSTC to match the more aggressive engine and suspension.

will there be a row-your-own possibility?

EDIT:just reread the top of the thread. sad day.

Nope just too much money to offer a manual in the car. Would you pay $1,000 to $2,000 more for the manual in this car on top of the R-Premium? Volvo doesn't think anyone would and that is how much extra they would have to charge for the manual to make money on it. A regular S60 T6 with premium package and climate package is around a $42,000 MSRP car right now. Figure the R model will be $3,000 to $5,000 on top of that plus other options like multimedia/navigation package and you are north of $50,00 real quick. Volvo's just don't sell very well above that $50,000 price point.

Boo! That's not what I expected. Unless the suspension updates are really clever, I would just go for a regular T6. IPD offer ECU upgrades for $800 and they increase 25-40hp.

The only thing I can hope for is that with the new one coming out, the price on the old R's will fall down. I'm buying one in August.

Yea, the standard T6 with the polestar performance pack, which doesn't affect warranties, will put out 325hp...

12-S60-R-Specs.jpg

It's not heart-stoppingly beautiful, but I think it works.

It needs Pegs and a manual gearbox though.

Preliminary 2012 MY S60 pricing.

...............................S60 T5............S60 T6..........S60 R-Design

Local MSRP with Dest. $31,850..... .....$38,575............$43,150

Those are for base cars.

The S60 R-design comes standard with the S60 T6's premium package which is a $1,500 option. So the R-Design elements are a about a $3,000 premium over the regular S60 T6.

Preliminary 2012 MY S60 pricing.

...............................S60 T5............S60 T6..........S60 R-Design

Local MSRP with Dest. $31,850..... .....$38,575............$43,150

Those are for base cars.

The S60 R-design comes standard with the S60 T6's premium package which is a $1,500 option. So the R-Design elements are a about a $3,000 premium over the regular S60 T6.

Good lor I wish I was an American...