Ownership Verified: The Saaba begins: 1995 Saab 9000 Aero

Very nice. One of these days I might see you on the roads even.

I would, but I enjoy my rear visibility too much; the tail doesn't extend down far enough for a ducktail. I was thinking Sierra-style biplane, but that'd be tricky to attach.

I won't surprise anyone, but I really like my spoiler. I was also worried about rear visibility, but now that I have it on it's not really an issue. While driving I can still see everything behind me, but interestingly the spoiler tends to block the headlights of the car behind me. So it has the function of the auto-dimming mirror :)

Oh look, you can put a 850R spoiler on a 9000...sort of.

12186624_1152635001431264_1655593289523573348_o.jpg

Maybe I was too hasty to swap out my snows. These all-seasons both handle worse and are less comfortable.

So the TCS went into limp-home mode today while driving into work; I pulled over, turned the car off and on again, and it drove fine again. This, on top of the whining transmission output shaft, and the body work that still needs doing, is testing my interest in keeping this thing going forever. Trying to figure out if I'm going to consign it to beaterdom and just drive it into the ground.

TCS should be a really cheap fix - less than $100.

Eh, my much newer car had all the dashboard warning lights freak out and disabled the TCS randomly (fixed by restart), it was months ago and it hasn't happened again.

Let me clarify, my traction control already doesn't work because of a failed ABS sensor. "Limp-home mode" in this case means that the over-complicated electronic throttle body that Saab made only for 3 years basically blue-screened, and it reverted to a really crude mechanical backup that feels like you're pushing one of those handicapped assist doors. Having the throttle pedal suddenly stiffen while in traffic is not a pleasant or safe experience.

Oops, my bad. I thought TCS meant Turbo Control Solenoid.

Regardless, I'm surprised Saab had an electronic throttle body in 1995. My car is supposed to have "traction control" but it has been permanently disabled.

My car is supposed to have "traction control" but it has been permanently disabled.

I don't think traction control was available until the electronic throttle body came around in 1999. Yours still has a cable throttle right?

They introduced TCS in 1989. Euro spec production cars had it available in 1990 or 1991. I'd assume US Turbo models got it for '92 MY.

I don't think traction control was available until the electronic throttle body came around in 1999. Yours still has a cable throttle right?

Yes, cable throttle. Hence the quotation marks around "traction control."