The show can still be saved

I would keep Sabine to do the power laps and get rid of the Stig. Top Gear UK, US and France were giving him less place over the years so...

I would keep Sabine to do the power laps and get rid of the Stig. Top Gear UK, US and France were giving him less place over the years so...

Problem is getting companies like Ferrari to allow their cars to be power lapped by someone else. The Stig character allows them to send their own trusted test drivers, dress them as Stig and do the lap.

For example, I bet the Lamborghini laps were done by Valentino Balboni / Max Venturi instead of Ben Collins.

You'd have to be stupid to get rid of The Stig. Just getting Sabine to do the power laps wouldn't work. Top Gear UK only backed off using the Stig because Ben Collins leaving to write a book spooked them, it was really Ben who made the Stig into a character and they had to train the new guy to act like the Stig should act. Top Gear US didn't have much use for him after they got rid of the studio section but he still makes a lot more appearances then he used to, or did up until it was cancelled.

Problem is getting companies like Ferrari to allow their cars to be power lapped by someone else. The Stig character allows them to send their own trusted test drivers, dress them as Stig and do the lap.

For example, I bet the Lamborghini laps were done by Valentino Balboni / Max Venturi instead of Ben Collins.

I don't think so, Top Gear were very protective of the Stig according to Ben Collins Michael Schumacher was only allowed to get into the Stig outfit because they (Willman) was a fan and wanted to get him on the show. I also think it was used as a distraction since word was out at the time that Ben was the Stig.

Last edited:
Jalopnik had a pretty balanced bit about episode 6:

http://jalopnik.com/lets-talk-about-the-series-finale-of-top-gear-1783065179

Personally, I think with Evans gone and hopefully a focus on 3 or 4 presenters who can gel, it has a good chance of becoming a good show again. It'll never be the same as the CMH version, but still good. For one thing, the BBC has *got* to let a bit of classic brit humor back into those show. There is a reason that humor is still so popular (it's, you know, "funny").

Honestly, I think "Cut back on the number of presenters" makes sense. Promote Chris Harris to be part of the three-man team, but keep Rory around for "Extra Gear", which I think is a good show and a role I think he is good at.

Eddie just doesn't really have a purpose on the show and neither does Sabine when they have The Stig.

So with Harris and LeBlanc as 2 of the 3 person team, who would you like to see fill the third slot?

Rory has awesome delivery. "So which one would I have? Easy, its the one that's a complete nightmare and yet still somehow the stuff of dreams." All of his pieces feel very poignant like many of Clarksons. I enjoyed his segments more than anything else on this season. He's a far better presenter than Hammond, maybe even May.

Chris is a significantly better driver than CHM. Like his youtube channel though, there still isn't much feeling there. I can't quite work out why. It's a bit dry is all I can think of to say.

Matt is some humorous deadpan combination of James and Richard; more likeable than the former and less annoying the the latter.

Chris H is still awful in the studio segments, and Rory doesn't really appear in them. Matt is carrying the studio parts all alone with Chris E gone. I've got high hopes for season 2, and I think that whatever happens, Rory has got quite a future ahead of him.

So with Harris and LeBlanc as 2 of the 3 person team, who would you like to see fill the third slot?
Rory, IMO.

Let them hang around for some time before recording to let the chemistry among them fully develop and we'd receive a working trio. Also they should have more influence on the output; BBC should get rid of those clowns who want them to (perhaps only) replicate CHM.

Last edited:
Rory, IMO.

Let them hang around for some time before recording to let the chemistry among them fully develop and we'd receive a working trio. Also they should have more influence on the output; BBC should get rid of those clowns who want them to (perhaps only) replicate CHM.

I was directing the question towards Kiskaloo because he/she would prefer to see Rory do Extra Gear and appears to see no future for Sabine or Eddie, that obviously leaves a spare birth on the main show.

I would like the News to be moved back into the main show, provided it would be presented by people who can shoot the breeze and make fun of it.

If it were possible I'd also like the star interviews cut way down in length and only have guests that are either very well known or can carry their own weight in an interview. I'd lose the dirt part of the star in a car but keep the interesting car; in fact, being able to drive an interesting car may draw more celebs to be willing to be on the show.

The show can still be saved

Why bother there is a better alternative just around the corner.....

The only reason the BBC wants to keep flogging this dead horse is they are reliant on amount of cash it used to bring in with CHM at the helm... not gonna happen now though

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe its a trick and the Stig is really sabine in disguise anyway? Bit like Ben Collins appeared in several TG episodes :D

Rory wins by default, now that Evans has resigned. :)

The other option is to stay with two people and promote Harris to replace Evans and team with LeBlanc. But honestly, I think three people work better (to heck if your "aping" CHM Gear) so I would give Harris and Rory a promotion and still keep Extra Gear (I guess as is, now).

I notice BBC America is starting a new series "Chris Harris on Cars" in TG's time slot next week. Bit more exposure for the man so while I am sure it was done without the knowledge Evans would be resigning, it should help cement Harris as his replacement for Season 2.

Last edited: