The "Things that annoy me" thread

Lets see what I get....

ixUolq2.png

zZzMo8A.png

Can't comment on that second one, but the first one seems pretty accurate.

Happy is funny.

I only watched some of the first season of Aggretsuko but it was amusing as well. The gimmick kind of ran its course though.

My town has suddenly decided to do actual speed traps (I have blessingly almost never seen them) and pulled me over via their new bullshit "speed limit is 25 if not otherwise posted" law.

AND the radar detector is out of stock QUOTE]

The V1 is in stock - order manufacturer direct.

I got a link to a "customer portal" for an item that was in development at CES2017, and has been "almost ready to ship" seemingly ever since.

First update: "Paying your reservation balance / delivery dates", which contains no ship dates.
2nd update: "More insight into production" which is actually intresting, but provides little in the way of date targets.
3rd update (one month ago): "The production process is underway", and by "underway" they mean the first batch of production prototypes that will need months of testing is starting soon.
4th update: "Meet the team" sigh
5th update (two weeks ago): "Videos from our journey" which is just embedded videos from a year or two ago, and is already on their social media.

Is this a Kickstarter project like Waterseer? :p

My town has suddenly decided to do actual speed traps (I have blessingly almost never seen them) and pulled me over via their new bullshit "speed limit is 25 if not otherwise posted" law.

AND the radar detector is out of stock <_<
Are there no blanket within-city-limits speed limits in the world you live in?

I've had a Maxnomic gaming office chair, in green (the colour really popped when new but that's not important now), since May 2015. It's a nice chair but now the top layer of the pleather has started peeling off, funnily enough that's something they specifically say that it doesn't do, so now I keep finding leaf-green specks stuck to my legs or on the carpet.

I'm a fidget arse and wear a lot of jeans and cargo shorts so it's probably my fault but it's rather irritating. I might have it re-trimmed, I kept all of the Land Rover logo cloth from Keely's old seats and there should be enough to cover the base at least. :think:

I've never had anything made of pleather (multiple office chairs and couches) that hasn't done that after a few years. My 5 year old couches look 30 years old. Never again.

Are there no blanket within-city-limits speed limits in the world you live in?
This is very uncommon in the US. NYC is the only major city I can think of.
Also there are like, general rules that allow you to guess what the speed limit is based on the road when you have not passed a speed limit sign. Stuff like if there is a marked division for traffic, how many lines it has, how many lanes a road has. TBH possibly the only useful part of the driving test given you can use it to play dumb on speeding tickets. "Gee officer I didn't see a sign, but it's a double yellow line road." (Why yes, that is exactly what I said).

I had actually never encountered it afaik, until my town and the one that borders it passed it like 1-2 years ago. Which is irritating because generally this area is lax on that. The cops have been out in ridiculous numbers recently someone must have given them a quota.

Also there are like, general rules that allow you to guess what the speed limit is based on the road when you have not passed a speed limit sign. Stuff like if there is a marked division for traffic, how many lines it has, how many lanes a road has. TBH possibly the only useful part of the driving test given you can use it to play dumb on speeding tickets. "Gee officer I didn't see a sign, but it's a double yellow line road." (Why yes, that is exactly what I said).

I had actually never encountered it afaik, until my town and the one that borders it passed it like 1-2 years ago. Which is irritating because generally this area is lax on that. The cops have been out in ridiculous numbers recently someone must have given them a quota.

In most states, nope. In general, you are supposed to remember the last speed limit sign you passed and stay at that speed until you see and pass another.

You can, however, get a GPS system that will show you the speed limit on any but the most recently constructed or changed roads.

Over here there is a default speed for the type of area you're in, which can be overruled with a traffic sign. Bit each time a side road connects, this sign is voided and needs to be repeated for it come in effect again. (Because the people joining from said side road, would have no idea about the limitation)

So yeah, sometimes you have the same sign 7 times in a row, just because there are many side roads

Over here there is a default speed for the type of area you're in, which can be overruled with a traffic sign. Bit each time a side road connects, this sign is voided and needs to be repeated for it come in effect again. (Because the people joining from said side road, would have no idea about the limitation)

So yeah, sometimes you have the same sign 7 times in a row, just because there are many side roads

That sign logic is more or less what's supposed to happen here, though if both connecting/intersecting roads are the same speed limit, they don't always bother to post after the intersection.

Unless it's an area limitation, in which case the side roads will already have had the limit presented to them and an intersection doesn't nullify it.

But yes, 50 in all built up areas unless specifically stated otherwise.

In most states, nope. In general, you are supposed to remember the last speed limit sign you passed and stay at that speed until you see and pass another.

Thats not entirely true. Many states do have blanket speed limits that hold unless otherwise noted. For example, this is an excerpt from MA's official driver's manual.

dGEQq4l.png

Unless it's an area limitation, in which case the side roads will already have had the limit presented to them and an intersection doesn't nullify it.

But yes, 50 in all built up areas unless specifically stated otherwise.

If we were limited to 50kph in all built up areas in American cities, it would take hours to get out of a city. You've been to Dallas; if you started in downtown Dallas and went north on Turtle Creek/Preston, you would be driving over 65km (with traffic and lights sometimes over two hours!) to get out of the built up area.

48390355576_4cc116077f_z.jpg
[/url]
Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 16.04.34

Which is why much of Preston is marked for 45+mph instead.

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 16.22.07

Thats not entirely true. Many states do have blanket speed limits that hold unless otherwise noted. For example, this is an excerpt from MA's official driver's manual.

dGEQq4l.png

Hence me saying 'most'. And I should clarify - pretty much all states have a "unless posted" regulation or two, usually for things like alleys and residential (aka, lined by homes), but most do not have a comprehensive "unless posted" list like MA does. Texas has just two that I can recall (not having looked at it in a while) - unless otherwise posted, 15mph in alleys and 30mph in residential streets and that's it. Even in those cases, Texas law allows for a driver to be ticketed for driving too slowly/obstructing traffic even for speeds up to said limits.

Pretty much everyone ignores posted limits outside of posted school zones anyway... https://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/Dallas-Freeways-Where-Almost-Everyone-Speeds-138851784.html

Last edited:
If we were limited to 50kph in all built up areas in American cities, it would take hours to get out of a city. You've been to Dallas; if you started in downtown Dallas and went north on Turtle Creek/Preston, you would be driving over 65km (with traffic and lights sometimes over two hours!) to get out of the built up area.

48390355576_4cc116077f_z.jpg
[/url]
Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 16.04.34

Which is why much of Preston is marked for 45+mph instead.

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 16.22.07
That's why there's exceptions. Avenues and bypasses have higher limits. Especially when you get 2 lanes each way, it goes up to 70. And if you want more, make a bypass and raise the limit to 100.

That's why there's exceptions. Avenues and bypasses have higher limits. Especially when you get 2 lanes each way, it goes up to 70. And if you want more, make a bypass and raise the limit to 100.

That’s if you don’t have a town/police department who want to live off of speeding fines. Quite a few towns here will have 4 laned roads (2 each way) with a median from 45 all the way down to 35mph.