The Time is Nigh...

No Boss

Neener, neener, I banned your title!
Car(s)
'07 Volvo XC70 Polestar, '01 Miata SE
Well my good friends, nobles, and countryman... The time for me has finally come. Over the next four weeks I'm going to be purchasing a new car. So like many people, I'm posting this looking for your well learned opinions and expertise on such a serious issue. As you are about to see, the line up of cars that I am looking at is a bit... eclectic. They are all really nice automobiles but they go from one end of the spectrum to the next. My budget is about USD$18,000-$20,000, car has to be below 50,000mi, and a 5/6-speed. Oh and no beige interiors, I hate beige interiors. So, might as well get right to it, they're listed in order of appeal/interest.

1.) Mini Cooper S

http://img246.imageshack.**/img246/5409/448002us0.jpg

MINI COOPER S

I've loved these cars for years and have always, always, wanted one. I test drove one just to drive one about 2-3 years ago and loved it. I have never driven a car that from the minute I got in it till the moment I got out, I had a smile on my face. I am single (dating someone), don't have lots of baggage, don't haul lots of stuff (but do plan on getting 2 big dogs once my current one passes), and do a lot of driving. So, aside from the dog thing, the size of the Mini and its M.P.G.s are very appealing. I figure if I want a small car, why not drive one now whilst I still can before I need a bigger car for family and stuff?

2.) Volvo S60R

Specifically, this S60R (which I will be test driving this Thursday):
http://img246.imageshack.**/img246/4424/picture2uc8.jpg
http://www.raycoeuro.com/html/04VolvoS60R_Gray/index.htm

Ok, yeah I know... I'm 22 years old, and what on earth do I want with a Volvo?? Well, as much as I love the Mini, a part of me feels I'm going to have to live with this car through everything (except snow, beater car for that). That includes long car rides to visit relatives in NY and where ever else I choose. I have heard not such great things about the ride comfort of the Mini and more specifically, their seats. The Volvo fits my mature(ish) personality, I love the interior, I love the seats, and it's got plenty of buttons which as a bloke, I love. May not be the most powerful or hardcore, but it's dignified and understated, and I like that.

3.) Mazda RX-8

Again, this RX-8 (Which I'll also be driving Thursday):
http://img293.imageshack.**/img293/7509/picture11hm1.jpg
http://www.raycoeuro.com/html/04MazdaRX8Coupe_DkGreen_36549/index.htm

Yes, Yes, I know... It eats oil, engine blows up, has no torque, isn't as powerful as a 350Z, and Blind_Io is going to come in here and say "poppycock" to all of that and tell me to get it. The first Top Gear clip I ever downloaded was Jeremy's RX-8 review from way back when. I've liked it since then. Something about the high revving engine, the vulgar styling, and that center console that runs through the entire cabin... just does it for me.

The following cars are all viable options, but ones that maybe a bit out of my price range:
4.) MKV Volkswagen GTI - Loved this car when I drove it, but I've had golfs/GTIs all my life... think it's time for something new.
5.) Mazdaspeed3 - Great googly moogly, such a shame it's a bit out of my range.
6.) '01-'03ish BMW 328Ci/330Ci - I dunno, something appealing to me, I guess.

Now I've gone over even more cars (early Boxster, early BMW X5 with a 5spd., E38 BMW 7, etc.), but I think that's just the "kid in the candy shop" effect setting in. As stated above, Thursday I'm going to test drive the S60R and the RX-8. There is a VW/Mazda dealer right down the road from where those two cars are, so I may try to bang out a test drive in a GTI/MSP3. I'll have a much better idea of which is best for me after getting my hands on them, but for now just looking for your thoughts.

Edit: I also plan on doing light modding to which ever car I choose. Most likely: window tint, chip/ecu tune, and light suspension mods.

/I think this is the longest post I've ever left here.... maybe.
//my post about the "you're fucking gay" lady at work may have been longer.

S60R with the Butterscotch interior. Delicious.

Patrick, after thinking of your kind of personality, the one I know of here, I think the MINI is the right choice. You're 22 years old, whoop it up.

Why not the RX-8? You do not strike me as a Japanese car driver, and the RX-8 is the embodiment of Japanese style...in my opinion of course.

Get the S60R and "Evolve" the crap outta it!

+1 for the S60R, Volvos are always cool, anyone who says otherwise is a liar. :p

Patrick, after thinking of your kind of personality, the one I know of here, I think the MINI is the right choice. You're 22 years old, whoop it up.

Why not the RX-8? You do not strike me as a Japanese car driver, and the RX-8 is the embodiment of Japanese style...in my opinion of course.

Ok... this is the point where I'm gonna embarrass the shit out of you:

My name's Rich. :lol:

It's ok Jay, no worries. I dunno why I like the RX-8, I honestly don't. I think it has to do with the fact that it's just different. Rotary, RWD, I dunno... cause I've always had an inclination towards European cars.

E46 BMW or RX8, the mini isn't bad, but i think it kinda pails compared to the other two options, plus it has THEY MOST annoying exhaust sound ever.

The S60R just seems pricey, but i would take that car 100x over if it meant i never had to drive a Mazdaspeed3. I know the MS3 is technically a good car for the money, but over and over i read european reports, from trustworthy writers, proclaiming that despite its speed its really not that much fun, so whats the point? to get in a really large accident while compiling tonnes of speeding tickets because the only way to enjoy such a car is by scaring yourself? Lack of tactility and theater are two huge reasons i wouldn't get a MS3.

whatever the case, for the love of god do as many test drives as you can!

The RX8 has one overlooked feature that i really like, the rotories design is such it causes huge flaming backfires :)

Last edited:
Ok... this is the point where I'm gonna embarrass the shit out of you:

My name's Rich. :lol:

Truth be known, I can feel my face burn. :lol:

It's ok Jay, no worries. I dunno why I like the RX-8, I honestly don't. I think it has to do with the fact that it's just different. Rotary, RWD, I dunno... cause I've always had an inclination towards European cars.

Well, then I suppose be a rebel. :) I broke the 47(!) year cycle of Pontiac's in my family by buying a Subaru, now my parents are quite interested in a Legacy wagon or Tribeca.

Last edited:
Alrighty.......

I assume its the previous generation supercharged Mini?? If so you are right it has copped a bit of flack for its buzzy engine and harsh ride. Maybe not such a good long distance car. The new ones are meant to be MUCH better.

I don't like the S60R much, but I can see its a good car. Probably very good at the long distance haul. Might be expensive to maintain though with the big power motor and super adaptive suspension and all that.

RX-8 is meant to be a very good fun car. But I reckon you would tire of never having any bloody torque in the thing.

I say get back to us Thursday having driven the contenders., and we shall go from there :)

Truth be known, I can feel my face burn. :lol:

Well, then I suppose be a rebel. :) I broke the 47(!) year cycle of Pontiac's in my family by buying a Subaru, now my parents are quite interested in a Legacy wagon or Tribeca.

HAHAHA! :lol:;) Like I said, Jay, it's cool... and now you'll never forget (even though I know you're sitting there thinking "Who the hell is Patrick then?!").

My parents have almost always owned American cars, partly one of the big reasons I hate a lot of them. My dad got rid of his Bonneville and has a new 3.5L Maxima, which has a great engine. Because of that engine I was even thinking about a G35 Sports Coupe, but I just can't get past how much a 350Z it is... and I don't fancy the 350Zs.

One major thing I forgot to say was that I only plan on owning this car for about 2-4 years. Of course, if I fall absolutely in love with it, I may keep it longer.

6.) '01-'03ish BMW 328Ci/330Ci - I dunno, something appealing to me, I guess.

It's the steering wheel, isn't it ?:p

http://img222.imageshack.**/img222/4633/img0976mediumec1.jpg

All great choices. I would definately lean on the Cooper S, just because it's a nimble car with good power and just...fits the role of a person our age to drive :lol:. Plus, how can you go wrong with a supercharged car like that?

I got an upclose look at an S60 (a 2.4l T5 I think it was?), and they are great looking cars, and of course we can all take the past review of it on Top Gear as proof that it rocks. But it's just something about being in a Volvo that would make me fell akward. It's a powerful car and has great tech with it, but it seems as if it's meant to be driven...too cautiously. Very....take the kids to school with-ish.

But that one you have there is an awesome color combo...so hard to resist.

Have you looked at what maintenance costs would be for both? I see the main thing would be that the S60's warranty is going out in April...though I think Volvo's reputation is pretty good on reliability.

Out of both I would probably take the Cooper S...just something about it, no? :D Not matter what the car, I know you'll make the right decision, at rightly justified at that :thumbsup:

/Cries for no Subaru

Last edited:
Fuck the Volvo. Get the BMW.

Ignore him, the Volvo is the way to go. It looks about a million times better, and won't make you look like the five trillion other 3 series owners. As a general all-around the S60 is probably the best as well.

Also if you get the Volvo you can put one of these beauties on.
Volvomoose-plain_lo-res.JPG

Hidden_Hunter said:
What's a pontiac GTO worth these days?
I believe a good one is still a bit north of $20k, at least $24k.