the Top Gear British phrases explanation thread

No thank you, I shall pass.

Sorry you were offended, Squidge. I agree that teachers have got a lot to answer for as far as Shakespeare's concerned, and I laughed like a drain at Rowan Atkinson's take on it.

Everything you need to know about Canadians. :canadian: :p

What I want to know about Canadians is why they consider being called a moosefucker a bad thing? Because I've seen a moose, and quite frankly, anyone who can manage to fuck one deserves respect. :)

:lol:

See, I'd think screwing a beaver would be worse, because, y'know, it's "a proud and noble animal", while a moose just isn't. (And this is coming from a non-dude who lives in the other "moose country": northern Maine.)

What I want to know about Canadians is why they consider being called a moosefucker a bad thing? Because I've seen a moose, and quite frankly, anyone who can manage to fuck one deserves respect. :)

The only ones who object are the ones who are not successful :cool:

Yeah, them too... whingers.

Did you mean :mouse::hump:s?

Oh, I see.

Must spread the love but :roflmao:

Hmm btw shouldn't the "ginger beer" -> "queer" thing be in the colloquialism post?

Originally London Rhyming slang but generally understood - like Brown Hatter, or Pillow Biter etc.

Last edited:
The only ones who object are the ones who are not successful :cool:

I've heard the trick is to be gentle and caring. When you are positioned behind the moose, tickle it gently behind the ear. Of course, a moose is quite large, which is why Canadians are so good with a hockey stick.

Hey, I came up with this one:

In 13x05, where The Stig is lapping the Jaaaaag, Jeremy comments the bagpipe music with a phrase: "terrible smell of oaks all of a sudden". Where does that come from? Are there a lot of oaks (which, afaik don't *smell* that much...) in Scotland or what?

Hey, I came up with this one:

In 13x05, where The Stig is lapping the Jaaaaag, Jeremy comments the bagpipe music with a phrase:

"terrible smell of oaks all of a sudden".
Where does that come from?

Are there a lot of oaks (which, afaik don't *smell* that much...) in Scotland or what?

Oats, not oaks.

English stereotyping the Scottish lifestyle & culture:
All Scots people eat oats for breakfast (porridge), play the bagpipes, wear kilts, drink copious amounts of whisky, chase haggises around fields for sport and fleece gullible American tourists out of their money, with the Loch Ness monster stories. :lol:
(Only the last one on the list is true, however.:p)

Oats, not oaks.

English stereotyping the Scottish lifestyle & culture:
All Scots people eat oats for breakfast (porridge), play the bagpipes, wear kilts, drink copious amounts of whisky, chase haggises around fields for sport and fleece gullible American tourists out of their money, with the Loch Ness monster stories. :lol:
(Only the last one on the list is true, however.:p)

The word "haggis" is like the word "sheep" - the singular and plural are the same, you ignorant sassenach!!

And they don't chase haggis either, they shoot them with shotguns like pheasants. That's why tossing the caber is such a tradition - before shotguns they had to throw trees at the haggis to hunt them!!!

Whats that German phrase James said when Jeremey was talking about his Merc needing a service?

You mean "Cooler, zree weekz."?
Cooler means solitary confinement in prison, and it's a nod to The Great Escape where McQueen was 'the cooler king'.

Clarkson (Z4 review):

"those car keys... I bet they spend less time in the ignition than they do in a pot... round at Muriel's house".

I'm from Spain so I have no idea what does it mean.
Thank you.

Clarkson (Z4 review):

"those car keys... I bet they spend less time in the ignition than they do in a pot... round at Muriel's house".

I'm from Spain so I have no idea what does it mean.
Thank you.

This is about 'wife swapping' parties.

Not that I've ever been to one of these, but I understand the form for this kind of thing is that a group of couples will gather somewhere (the stereotype is middle-aged, middle-class suburban couples meeting at someone's house) and swap partners for the night. 'Traditionally', the men will all put their car keys in a container and then the women will each draw a key from the container. Each woman will then pair off with the owner of the key they've drawn. You can probably figure out the rest from there ;)

Last edited: