the Top Gear British phrases explanation thread

This is about 'wife swapping' parties.

Not that I've ever been to one of these,

Interestingly, you do seem to know an awful lot about them. ;)

It's good to know what sort of parties you don't want to stick around at ;)

Its good to know what sort of parties you make sure that you stick a porsche badge on you car keys, before going out in your 1987 Ford Orion with you new close personal friend/partner. ...

Reactions: LP
Its good to know what sort of parties you make sure that you stick a porsche badge on you car keys, before going out in your 1987 Ford Orion with you new close personal friend/partner. ...

You think alot of the women would go for a middle aged balding man with a small penis and perhaps a problem with keeping it up? (or am I reading into the mid life crisis porche a bit too much)

Interestingly, you do seem to know an awful lot about them. ;)

I grew up in the 70s. They were very much in the public consciousness for some reason, and they seemed to get mentioned a lot in sitcoms. For some reason I always picture people like Margot and Jerry from The Good Life going to that kind of party (though unless there's a very dodgy episode I haven't seen, they never did).

That's all I know, honest... :cool:

13x07

The pie and the spoon?

It wasn't a spoon but a key = pikey, a derogatory term for gypsies in the UK, but more commonly used more generally for the lower classes, particularly those with poor taste.

Most likely the BBC censors said they couldn't say the word Pikey, so they alluded to it.

*buzz* They've said "pikey" on TG before, lots of times. They were just being a bit more clever about it this time.

All pikeys are travellers, not all travellers are Pikeys.

One lot just made a humongous mistake and parked outside of NATS (National Air Traffic Control System, I think that there is a duplicate in Scotland near Prestwick) - ooh they got turfed out of there pretty sharpish - within several miles of a sensitive installation and anti-terrorist laws apply - none of this private court possession order bollocks.

Last edited:
most normally when they refer to 'travellers' and pikeys, its standard procedure to make sure you keep an eye on your valuables.

It did take me a while to realise what it meant.

It wasn't till Mr May called him a steak'n'kidney door-opener. :D

... I?ll be honest and say that I haven?t checked all pages of this thread just did a search of the first post and will now hope I won?t get raped for asking something that was already asked before :D

From S6 E4 - the mothers road test. Richard says something about his mom and then goes "If you put that in, I?m dead" at the cameraman ... he goes "she?s such a Phone-horse"(?) and then mocks his mothers "telephone-style". I don?t get it. Not at all actually ...

... I?ll be honest and say that I haven?t checked all pages of this thread just did a search of the first post and will now hope I won?t get raped for asking something that was already asked before :D

From S6 E4 - the mothers road test. Richard says something about his mom and then goes "If you put that in, I?m dead" at the cameraman ... he goes "she?s such a Phone-horse"(?) and then mocks his mothers "telephone-style". I don?t get it. Not at all actually ...
telephone voice. A special, posh accent that his mother - and my mother, too - put on when they use the telephone. It's sort of just a more clearly pronounced and formal version of your regular tone of voice.

He says "Yep, it's her telephone voice" then he mocks her telephone voice by quoting her while using it himself "You'ell nowtice that the seats fowld flett" "Don't put that in or she'll kill me!":lol:

Last edited:
I think I majorly need to update the first post, huh? :?

I think I majorly need to update the first post, huh? :?

Well if you want some for S13, here are a few which spring to mind. Let me know if you want any from the earlier episodes. :)

S13e06
JC: The priapic bonnet of the Z4.
Explantion: Priapic means phallic or shaped like a penis.

Possible motivation: Use of this word is a sneaky way of avoiding the pre-watershed ?naughty words? rule. These rules often broken by TG, but I think they do stuff like this as an intellectual game with the BBC compliance people (naughty words police) and the Daily Fail complainers & moaners club, who don?t notice because they are idiots.

People: ?The new Z4 is like Uma Thurman, perfect in every way, but you?re just not sure why.?

S13e07
More on the pikeys or gypsies.
Maloo / Bathurst Review
Edit 2
JC: ?So if you are in the clothes pegs & heather business, that's the car?
It was after the Power Board Lap times were posted
Explanation: Traditionally, gypsies illegally accost you on the street or at your front door selling clothes pegs and lucky heather.

Maloo / Bathurst Review
RH: This car goes to Eleven.
Explanation: Spinal Tap joke, Film quote: ?these Amplifiers go to ELEVEN, others only go to ten, so louder?

Last edited:
the BBC have a thing for spinal tap tributes, have you noticed the Iplayer sound level goes up to 11 too????

Excellent thread this. I finally found out what Asbo means :)

"What they should have done is call [the Ford Focus ST] the ASBO."
person: Jeremy Clarkson
episode: 7x03, Ford Focus ST review
explanation: "ASBO" is short for Anti Social Behavior Order. It is mostly given to young people repeatedly attracting attention through their antisocial and sometimes criminal behaviour. Jeremy refers to this group of people since the Focus ST would be a typical car driven by such.