The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

In before LeVel's "No True Scotsman"!

Punisher Bass;n3545926 said:
Can't it be both?

I figured that was his game when he said "inherent violence on the left" sometime in 2016.

Made me think of this. :lol:

Redliner;n3545989 said:
Made me think of this. :lol:
Nice touch that that's also a free white middle-aged guy of means complaining about repression. ;-)

calvinhobbes;n3545996 said:
Nice touch that that's also a free white middle-aged guy of means complaining about repression. ;-)

The irony was not lost. In me, at least.

Another scandal from the White House, this one is all theirs.

Is it Wednesday already?

It's like a human centipede of fuck ups, one has to wonder, what's gonna come out the last person in line's asshole?

The "Cut taxes and spending" platform from the party of "State's Rights".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...favors-imposing-online-sales-tax-mnuchin-says

President Donald Trump “feels strongly” that the U.S. should impose a sales tax on purchases made over the Internet, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Thursday.

Mnuchin, speaking at a hearing before the House Ways and Means Committee, said he has spoken personally with Trump about the issue, and that the president “does feel strongly” that the tax should be applied.

The prospect of an online sales tax has been a long-standing point of contention between Internet-based retailers and their brick-and-mortar rivals. Trump has previously gone after Internet giant Amazon.com Inc., saying last year that it does “great damage to tax paying retailers.”

Amazon began collecting sales taxes on purchases in all states that levy them earlier last year, despite an exemption that allows online retailers to avoid collecting them in places where they don’t have a physical presence. But Amazon still avoids charging shoppers sales taxes when they buy from one of its third-party vendors -- sales that make up about half the company’s volume.

Untaxed third-party sales might provide an advantage over brick-and-mortar retail chains, which have their own robust online operations but have to collect sales tax on all purchases in states where they have physical presences. Many large chains have stores in almost every state.

At the federal level, several bipartisan bills have been introduced to allow states to mandate collection of the taxes, with the most recent one re-introduced in 2017 and endorsed by Amazon. A previous bill passed the Senate.

Since a 1992 Supreme Court ruling established the precedent for exempting online retailers from sales taxes, various states have enacted “Amazon laws” to tax online sales the same way that brick-and-mortar sales are taxed. The Supreme Court ruling said states couldn’t require out-of-state retailers to collect sales taxes from consumers unless those retailers had a physical presence -- through branches, warehouses or employees -- where the consumers were located.

The court may revisit the issue in a case it is hearing this year in which South Dakota challenges the 1992 ruling.

Largely because of that ruling, which predated the rise of widespread online retailing, states miss out on up to $13 billion a year in sales taxes from online and catalog purchases, according to a 2017 study by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Don't forget the $0.25 per gallon tax he is in favor of adding to fuel to fund those road projects he can't afford to pay for with out enough tax moneys.

So much for a tax cut.

GRtak;n3546148 said:
Don't forget the $0.25 per gallon tax he is in favor of adding to fuel to fund those road projects he can't afford to pay for with out enough tax moneys.

So much for a tax cut.

Now you know that the tax cut is a smoke and mirror to move the tax burden from corporations and the uber wealthy to the poor and indigent.

I knew that from day one that it was being talked about. It gets worse though, there will be a shift of funding from the Federal Government, to the states. The states can't jack up their tax rates to make up the difference, so there will be more sin and use based fees, toll roads for example. The new tax fees are just Trump having to show those that don't see through the bullshit what the real story was all along.

GRtak;n3546148 said:

So much for a tax cut.

I don't really see an issue of a tax on use, which is basically what this is. The more you use roads the more you pay.

That is an additional 25 cents per gallon.

The problem is, that everything will now cost more instantly, and the economy will suffer directly as a result. Don't worry about it though, the rich won't have to pay as much in taxes and will be able to weather the storm long enough to put a further squeeze on the average person's pay.

CraigB;n3546151 said:
Now you know that the tax cut is a smoke and mirror to move the tax burden from corporations and the uber wealthy to the poor and indigent.

It's worse than that.

Right now we are in the top half of the Recession Cycle, things are going well, the economy is growing. This is the time we traditionally pay down the debt while we can afford it, we raise interest rates to prolong sustainable growth and put off the next recession. During a recession we borrow to fund growth; right now we are borrowing in the form of spending and tax cuts, increasing the debt. When the next recession hits we will have massive debt at a time of recession and higher unemployment. We will need to borrow even more to fund recovery and prevent the recession from becoming a depression and the interest is going to kill us because we will already be so leveraged that lender confidence will plummet.

GRtak;n3546165 said:
That is an additional 25 cents per gallon.

The problem is, that everything will now cost more instantly, and the economy will suffer directly as a result. Don't worry about it though, the rich won't have to pay as much in taxes and will be able to weather the storm long enough to put a further squeeze on the average person's pay.

I’m aware of that but at the same time you can control your consumption, not so much with income tax. Though I seriously doubt this would pass.

This is going to get lost under the new affair story.