The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

LeVeL

Forum Addict
As with everything, there's a middle ground to be sought when it comes to chain migration. I don't think people should be able to bring over any member of their family if there are no "chain links" established.

For example, my dad's cousin moved to the US in the early 90s but we couldn't follow her. First, she had to bring over her mother. Then get the mother to invite her brother (my grandfather). Once he got his paperwork through, he was able to invite his son (my father). It took a decade. So I'm fine with a family establishing those links; not so fine with someone being able to bring their distant relatives directly. Just my 2c.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
So you support the current migration policy as it exists today; because what you just described is literally our current migration policy regarding families.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Is this supposed to be a gotcha moment where you get to rub it in my face that I disagree with Trump on something? Because that won't exactly be news to anyone.

I don't have a problem with people coming here. I just want to force them to work.

Blind_Io

DONOR
Car(s)
No, it's just another data point of you supporting Trump while saying you disagree with him. Pretty much every time we break down his policies and show how infantile they are, you say you disagree with him; yet you keep defending and supporting him. I can't figure out why; the energy it must take to maintain that level of cognitive dissonance is staggering.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Blind_Io;n3546528 said:
No, it's just another data point of you supporting Trump while saying you disagree with him. Pretty much every time we break down his policies and show how infantile they are, you say you disagree with him; yet you keep defending and supporting him. I can't figure out why; the energy it must take to maintain that level of cognitive dissonance is staggering.
I honestly don't see what you are talking about, he supports some of his policies as do I but not others. You can dislike Trump and be on board with some of his beliefs. I mean look at yourself there are many things you disagree with Lev and myself on but we agree on guns and drug policies.

Firecat

Politically Charged
I love how the people that “love immigrants” have also managed to denigrate immigrants like Melania and her family (nothing related to this thread, just some horrible things I read on Twitter).

My issue about merit based systems vs chain migration (which is actually known as family reunification)...is that people seem to ignore that people that are sponsored by family members to come here aren’t necessarily deadbeats. They can and do have skills as well.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Firecat;n3546532 said:
I love how the people that “love immigrants” have also managed to denigrate immigrants like Melania and her family (nothing related to this thread, just some horrible things I read on Twitter).

My issue about merit based systems vs chain migration (which is actually known as family reunification)...is that people seem to ignore that people that are sponsored by family members to come here aren’t necessarily deadbeats. They can and do have skills as well.
I wouldn't be here if it weren't for family reunification and considering what my dad and I earn and therefore the amount of taxes we pay and money we put into the economy the country is definitely better off with us here ;)

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
The US wouldn't be there if it wasn't for immigration (in the modern form, not migration by ancestral human beings). Unless you are 100% lakota sioux apache comanche bred, you got to be veeeeeeeery careful about what you're gonna say about immigration. Chances are, with the proposed changes to immigration, one or more of your ancestors wouldn't have been allowed to immigrate.

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra

awdrifter

Trump Threatens to Impose Tariffs on European Cars
Trade tensions heat up as president vows to penalize EU if it retaliates against U.S. metals duties

President Donald Trump upped the ante in a brewing trade conflict stirred up by his announcement of steel and aluminum tariffs, saying the U.S. would impose tariffs on European car exports if the bloc follows through with retaliation against his metals duties.

“If the E.U. Some economists are worried tariffs applied unilaterally rather than through the World Trade Organization would generate a series of reprisals that could end in a trade war.

The European Union’s executive arm responded Friday that it would retaliate against any metals tariffs, saying it had put together a package of penalties that would affect a total of $3.5 billion in U.S. exports, including Harley-Davidson motorcycles, bourbon and denim.

Promising to “defend European jobs,” European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said “we must…show that we also take measures.” He added: “I don’t like to use the word ‘trade war,’ but I can’t say how this wouldn’t be warlike behavior.”

The EU’s retaliatory tariffs, if implemented, would hit quintessentially American exports, as well as making a political impact in Kentucky, the home state of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and Wisconsin, the state that is home to House Speaker Paul Ryan and motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson .

Mr. Trump’s warning on Saturday, if pursued, would ratchet up pressure, targeting automobiles, which are responsible for a significant percentage of world trade.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-threatens-to-tax-european-car-imports-1520110549

Buy your German cars now I guess, it'll get more expensive in the future.

Interrobang

Forum Addict

Blind_Io

DONOR
Car(s)
Wait a second, let me get this straight. Donald "Art of the Deal" Trump, the "Dealmaker in Chief" is so bad at making deals that he is getting sued after paying money to the woman he slept with.

Well, throw this one on the pile of success, right next to killing Michael Wolff's book.

Interrobang

Forum Addict
Blind_Io;n3547096 said:
[...] the pile of success
That must be next to the pile of 'the best people' that just have to leave their Job in the White House for various reasons.

I guess stabilty is overrated anyway ...

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
Well, interestingly that is referred to in "Fire and Fury on p. 277-278.

Allegedly Bannon told him that it was an incredibly stupid thing to say: He literally told in an interview (in the New York Times) what a special prosecutor shouldn't look at. He might as well have said: Hey! Mueller! LOOK HERE! Don't look at my personal finances! I dare you...