The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

Hey, remember that tax cut that was going to put more money in the pocket of almost every American? Yeah, about that.

Blind_Io;n3546438 said:
Hey, remember that tax cut that was going to put more money in the pocket of almost every American? Yeah, about that.

Well, it's not Trump's fault is those people aren't working for the right companies, because we have people in this very forum that are getting higher pays after the tax break.

Someone needs to explain to that person that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

From that article:

Respondents who identify as Republicans were more likely to report higher paychecks after the tax overhaul, pollsters found. Thirty-two percent of Republicans said they have noticed higher paychecks, compared to 21 percent of Democrats and 22 percent of independents.

:hmm:

I wonder why that could be?

I think it has more to do with all right wingers being delusional.

:drums:

GRtak;n3546454 said:
I think it has more to do with all right wingers being delusional.

:drums:

Umm... every single person I spoke with in my company reported getting a bigger paycheck regardless of their political affiliation so yeah... Math is kind of an impartial measure.

In fact I just did my taxes over the weekend and my accountant said pretty much everyone is seeing a bit more money in their paychecks.

Last edited:
But self-report isn't. They didn't look at the payroll data, they asked people about it. I'm making more money than I did last year because I hit a new point in my career and got a better job, not because of the tax cuts. Anyone just looking at my pay would see an increase around the same time as the tax cuts - but my take home pay went up because of other factors.

Blind_Io;n3546458 said:
But self-report isn't. They didn't look at the payroll data, they asked people about it. I'm making more money than I did last year because I hit a new point in my career and got a better job, not because of the tax cuts. Anyone just looking at my pay would see an increase around the same time as the tax cuts - but my take home pay went up because of other factors.

You are making a hell of an assumption here. That is that people who are reporting are A) randomly inflating their paychecks (why???) and B) are too stupid to understand that if you got a raise you will get more money regardless of taxes. I can tell you in my case my paycheck increased outside of my raise, I know this because our payroll fucked up and gave everyone checks sans raise in January and then had to do another deposit of "missing" money. So I saw my paycheck EXACTLY as it would have been without a raise. Was the case for entire company.

What it is asking is if people notice a change. For many people, the benefit of the tax change is too small to make any kind of difference.

Blind_Io;n3546464 said:
What it is asking is if people notice a change. For many people, the benefit of the tax change is too small to make any kind of difference.

You are basing that assertion on what exactly? My change was noticeable, also what is noticeable? For someone an extra $100 is noticeable for someone else a grand is chump change

LeVeL;n3546473 said:
We just had a quarterly meeting that around a hundred employees attended. As soon as it was announced that increases in paychecks aren't an HR screw-up but the federal tax cuts, someone at my table said "huh? I don't even look at my pay stubs, good to know". So maybe people just aren't paying attention so that's why they're not noticing a change.

Look, it's simple math - pay cuts across the board very obviously result in people taking home more money.
​​​​​​

Huh?

That's not what he said. I think that paying down the deficit when the economy is healthy is vital, otherwise we end up with deficit spending for economic stimulus when we are already burried under massive debt.

Another day, another story that shows Trumps political stances are not based on principle ...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-melania-trump-immigration-20180221-story.html
Melania Trump's parents are legal permanent residents, raising questions on 'chain migration'
The parents of first lady Melania Trump have become legal permanent residents of the United States and are close to obtaining their citizenship, according to people familiar with their status, but their attorney declined to say how or when the couple gained their green cards.
Immigration experts said Viktor and Amalija Knavs very likely relied on a family reunification process that President Donald Trump has derided as "chain migration" and proposed ending in such cases.
The Knavses, formerly of Slovenia, are living in the country on green cards, according to Michael Wildes, a New York-based immigration attorney who represents the first lady and her family.
"I can confirm that Mrs. Trump's parents are both lawfully admitted to the United States as permanent residents," he said. "The family, as they are not part of the administration, has asked that their privacy be respected so I will not comment further on this matter."
The Knavses are now awaiting scheduling for their swearing-in ceremony, according to a person with knowledge of the parents' immigration filings.
Questions over the Knavses' immigration status have escalated since Trump campaigned for the White House on a hard-line anti-immigration agenda. Those questions grew sharper last month, when the president proposed ending the decades-long ability of U.S. citizens to sponsor their parents and siblings for legal residency in the United States.
Trump has repeatedly blasted the long-standing policy as "chain migration." In last month's State of the Union, the president called that process a threat to Americans' security and quality of life. Under his plan, he said, only spouses and minor children could be sponsored for legal residency.
[...]
In his State of the Union address on Jan. 30, Trump offered a four-point immigration reform plan that he said "protects the nuclear family by ending chain migration."
"Under the current broken system, a single immigrant can bring in virtually unlimited numbers of distant relatives," the president said in his speech. "Under our plan, we focus on the immediate family by limiting sponsorships to spouses and minor children. This vital reform is necessary, not just for our economy, but for our security, and our future."
Trump underscored his position in a Feb. 6 tweet.
"We need a 21st Century MERIT-BASED immigration system," he tweeted. "Chain migration and the visa lottery are outdated programs that hurt our economic and national security."
[...]
Also there is some good joke-material in there somewhere about Trump really hating his in-laws and not wanting them getting into the country ...