The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

Ireland too.

Here is thread of how Trump has talked about the virus from January 22 to today.

This

Is why this is a problem.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/17/8166...hat-they-re-hearing-from-trump-on-coronavirus

Poll: Americans Don't Trust What They're Hearing From Trump On Coronavirus

Boris causing confusion too.

Here is how to do it the right way -

I'm a former Deputy Director of Government communications and ran the Department of Health press office during the swine flu pandemic. Some thoughts on daily press conferences and criticism the Government wasn't getting its comms right. /1

The golden rule is to show that the Government is in control and being open and transparent and available to answer questions. It should have said 2 weeks ago that it would hold weekly or twice weekly press conferences and more if necessary. /2

The drip drip of articles, interviews, briefings to select journalists doesn't cut it. It might work with normal political stories but its dangerous in a pandemic /3

Putting a lot of Government ministers on the media looks sensible but it weakens the message. The Government should decide now who its top scientists and top ministers are and only use them. The more people you use, the more confusion there will be. /4

During the 9 weeks of the initial swine flu pandemic we had one bad weekend where the messaging went awry - that was the weekend the Chief Medical Officer stepped back and we allowed a Junior Minister to do weekend political programmes /5

In summary - regular press conferences are great but Govt needs to use the same experts as much as possible so the public develops a relationsip of trust. PM and Ministers should say as little as possible about health risks and the science, that's hard for them but its vital. /6

A crucial part of communication in pandemics is to look ahead to the next big decision and explain the factors in making it. Being open about the dilemmas to win public trust. Its ok to talk about possible isolation for months for over 70s but this was handled badly yesterday. /7

Mainly because we didn't have a proper platform with the experts who went through the dilemmas and factors before making this decision - lessons need to be learnt from that. /8

But you would expect a big change in approach from today. In the swine flu pandemic when I heard the media say people were confused it stung, it was the worst thing you could possibly hear. Yesterday's criticism of Government comms will have been heard at the top. /9

Trump Now Claims He Always Knew the Coronavirus Would Be a Pandemic
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/politics/trump-coronavirus.html

Last edited:

It's odd that the Fox News line line up with the Presidents line. It's like they are unfair and unbalanced.

Last edited:
Next week they will have a talking point that says something like "93% of people think the President is doing a 'Very Good' job or better"

Why would Trump not want people to know what is going on? Hmmm, could it be the election?

His excuse for everything has been "The stock market is doing great!" - it's literally the only thing he's consistently brought up as a point of pride. Now that it's tanking and people are unemployed, he has no other policy or accomplishment to prop him up.

I'm still waiting for the first installment of Wall payments from Mexico.

Reactions: MWF
Peter Alexander NBCNews White House Correspondent asked a simple question -

Reporter asks Trump: What do you say to scared Americans?

There are no bad questions. Only bad answers. @PeterAlexander question was brilliant for its simplicity and what it allowed Trump to reveal about himself. He is an unsteady leader. He is wilting under the pressure and flinching under fire. The weakness is simply extraordinary.

Peter Alexander NBCNews White House Correspondent asked a simple question -

Reporter asks Trump: What do you say to scared Americans?

"bad" and "nasty" questions..... How old are you? Is calling questions bad or nasty not sensationalist?

Also I'm thinking a national shutdown is going to happen obviously because the President is saying he doesn't think it's necessary.

Everything they have told us so far has either been a lie or a deliberate act misleading us.

Also I'm thinking a national shutdown is going to happen obviously because the President is saying he doesn't think it's necessary.

Everything they have told us so far has either been a lie or a deliberate act misleading us.

I would like to refer back to my post on January 23rd in the Random Thoughts thread.

I wasn't worried, but then Trump said it was under control. That made me concerned.

Pointing out that one person on a network is delivering a message of hope, while another points out that the president is busy calling reporters names when pitched softball questions is not hypocrisy; it's saying that Anderson Cooper is doing what Trump should be doing as the fucking President instead of having a tantrum on live TV.

Americans are scared! How is that not a valid question! Our President lied to us or doesnt have the mental capacity to see the problems that we are facing. Our elected officials that did find out the enormity of the problem dumped their stock. I want to know why should we trust anything they say? I want to know how they have the audacity to breath free quarantined air. IF IM THIS MAD NOW WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO WHEN PEOPLE START LOSING FAMILY MEMBERS?

Yeah, they handed him that question in a silver platter and he fucked it up. Media would've twisted whatever he would've said, but he should've at least given something to twist

"The american people should do their best to stay safe, wash their hands and obey precautions as they come." There.

I wish they had shot right back.

"You call me a bad journalist, I call you a bad President. You call the corporate owner of my news outlet Concast I call you a FUCKING MURDERER!"

At this point the press should be throwing shoes at the whole bunch of them.

Pointing out that one person on a network is delivering a message of hope, while another points out that the president is busy calling reporters names when pitched softball questions is not hypocrisy; it's saying that Anderson Cooper is doing what Trump should be doing as the fucking President instead of having a tantrum on live TV.

If only AC could get Sean Penn to take over like he did in Haiti :)

U.S. intelligence reports from January and February warned about a likely pandemic

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said officials had been alerted to the initial reports of the virus by discussions that the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had with Chinese colleagues on Jan. 3.

Azar couldn’t get through to Trump to speak with him about the virus until Jan. 18, according to two senior administration officials. When he reached Trump by phone, the president interjected to ask about vaping and when flavored vaping products would be back on the market,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...9d8cda-6ad5-11ea-b5f1-a5a804158597_story.html

How on earth has his approval rating gone up!!!