The Truth about most SUV's...just brilliant

I'm going to have add that nissan and toyota make some awesome 4x4's oh and the mercades g-wagon is great too.

This is still my favourite 4x4 ad:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KXkQUI31Ko[/YOUTUBE]

I saw this commercial on TV right after my father bought his Escalade. I burst out laughing at it because like the "ambiguous" SUV in the commercial, the Escalade is an over-hyped, over-priced, poorly built, P.O.S.

Do all of you hate fake SUVs? Or do you guys just dislike the fact that many of them are marketed as 4x4s that can climb mountains, ford rivers, trek across miles of ice, etc? Because I drive a Murano, but it has never been marketed as a hardcore off-roader.

Do all of you hate fake SUVs? Or do you guys just dislike the fact that many of them are marketed as 4x4s that can climb mountains, ford rivers, trek across miles of ice, etc? Because I drive a Murano, but it has never been marketed as a hardcore off-roader.

I've always quite liked the Murano, it's the same sort of car as the BMW X3/X5, but without all the pretention of them. Nissan seems to make very honest cars, on the whole.

I've always quite liked the Murano, it's the same sort of car as the BMW X3/X5, but without all the pretention of them. Nissan seems to make very honest cars, on the whole.

Yeah Murano is not bad, I think my annoyance with "sports activaty vehicles" is summed up nicely with this video.

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=05MCk_pCM5g[/YOUTUBE]

Some people actually watch this video and think the santa fe is the better 4x4. It's just a dam car, you have to specify 4wd as an option for gods sake!!!

the ad is great i have to say

but a bit offtopic: if youre going to buy a 4x4, buy a proper one, not a tall, big heavey, but safe, unsporty sports utility vehicle.

Show that Hyundai a bit of mud or a steep hill to climb then, it runs away home to mummy. :p

Hyundai are actually getting a bit cocky with their marketing, challenging Land Rover. Hyundais and all Korean cars are still considered less desirable than Japanese cars, so that's quite a stretch..

I'm surprised noone mentioned the Toyota Land Cruiser. I think it's one of the best SUV's along with the Land Rover (and Range Rover) and the Mitsubishi Pajero.

I find it very hard to see the H2, Lincoln Navigator and Escalade as SPORT Utility Vehicles...

I'm surprised noone mentioned the Toyota Land Cruiser. I think it's one of the best SUV's along with the Land Rover (and Range Rover) and the Mitsubishi Pajero.

I find it very hard to see the H2, Lincoln Navigator and Escalade as SPORT Utility Vehicles...

I gave Toyota my vote, hilux and land cruiser are just a few of the good ones. Nissan's patrol/safari is simply the best. Isuzu troopers are decent too.

It's stuff like the honda cr-v, toyota rav4, honda joy machine, good road cars, but why don't you just buy a good estate instead, it's cheaper, drives better and uses less fuel?

Do all of you hate fake SUVs?
I do, but that's just because I fail to see a point to them. If I want a road going vehicle with some space, I'll pick up a decent wagon (estate). But to each his own, plenty of people hate the kind of junk I've driven, doesn't bother me 8).

Nissan seems to make very honest cars, on the whole.
There's just those little marketing mistakes, you know like, "ZOMG amazing 'Ring times! ... oh yeah, we used slicks ..." ;)

While I agree that the car-based SUVs are useless off-road and would get stuck on a wet lawn, they do have their place. They're fine for people who just want a normal car with more space and a better sense of security. Most people don't need or care about the hardcore off-road equipment, so it's not there.

Land Rover makes the best off-roaders, they take a solid chassis with durable components and tough off-road equipment and fit car-like luxuries to it, adding the sense of refinement. Deep down, every Land Rover is a hard-working car, it just doesn't show it. 8)

That made me laugh. Every time I sat in an SUV, I was trying to find out why it's so cramped even when it's that huge on the outside. No rear leg room (XC90, and I'm not talking about the little seats in the boot), less space on the back seat than in a Citro?n BX,...
They're like monstertrucks. Normal cars with overgrown suspension and big wheels. Completely pointless.

Get a Renault if you want a safe car.
Get a people carrier if you want to move lots of people around (they'll thank you for it as well, because it has loads more space).
Get a van if you want to move stuff around.

SUV's are crap and dangerous to other people on the road. They're penis enlargements without an actual operation.

Show that Hyundai a bit of mud or a steep hill to climb then, it runs away home to mummy. :p

Hyundai are actually getting a bit cocky with their marketing, challenging Land Rover. Hyundais and all Korean cars are still considered less desirable than Japanese cars, so that's quite a stretch..

Well if Hyundai accepted the fact that they are "less desirable" then they might as well not try at all. To 75% of consumers, the Sante Fe is going to make a lot more sense than an LR3 ever will.

Why bash the X5? Its an awsome vehicle. What is the other alternative to a vehicle that will comfortably seat 7 people that has a bit of coolness to it?

Look at it this way, for Porsche, BMW, Audi, ect..the SUV's they build are huge money makers so they can take that extra cash and design better sports sedans/coupes/cars for the enthusiast folk.

That made me laugh. Every time I sat in an SUV, I was trying to find out why it's so cramped even when it's that huge on the outside. No rear leg room (XC90, and I'm not talking about the little seats in the boot), less space on the back seat than in a Citro?n BX,...
They're like monstertrucks. Normal cars with overgrown suspension and big wheels. Completely pointless.

Get a Renault if you want a safe car.
Get a people carrier if you want to move lots of people around (they'll thank you for it as well, because it has loads more space).
Get a van if you want to move stuff around.

SUV's are crap and dangerous to other people on the road. They're penis enlargements without an actual operation.
Not everyone wants to drive a lame people carrier/minivan.

Penis enlargement? Please. I need somthing to tow the boat, snowmobiles, and survive the snowdrifts that we get in Minnesota :rolleyes:

I have seen a Minivan (i think it was a Honda odyssey) trying to tow a boat smaller than ours. it dragged its ass down the road, then when it went to tow the thing out of the water, it got stuck and had to have some good folks with a Suburban and a tow strap to pull it out.

Why bash the X5? Its an awsome vehicle. What is the other alternative to a vehicle that will comfortably seat 7 people that has a bit of coolness to it?

The Land Cruiser can seat 8 and is way cooler.

Reactions: TC
In my opinion the best SUV was one of the first: the series one Range Rover

range_rover_series_1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a lot of difficulty trying to convince my mother that a RAV4 is not a good idea and overall a waste of money.

i concur, we have one and its complete bollocks. even as a 100% on road car. the engines not terribly refined, the ride is rock hard, the tyre roar and engine noise petrusion into the cabin is just terrible. while its built solidly the materials used feel very naff, the center console in ours is just down right nasty and its not even that big inside.

its just not a good car and thats the reason its getting replaced with a lexus IS220d very soon

In my opinion the best SUV was the first: the series one Range Rover

range_rover_series_1.jpg

Jeep was there first. The Wagoneer was sold in the early 60's.

http://img250.imageshack.**/img250/606/52822b0fd84ba9b1960ba96uo6.jpg