The Truth about most SUV's...just brilliant

skr

Car(s)
1992 BMW 525iA, 1999 Ford Focus Estate Ghia 1.8
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7taz2tffbA[/youtube]

Eventhough I hate the X3 I have to admit that this commercial is brilliant. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean back when SUVs were used to tow and haul stuff off-road for a purpose instead of being glorified wagons in lipstick like BMW builds?

I can see a lot of shit-slinging that's gonna go down here...but it's about time. Fuck the X3, it's the worst car sold today IMO.

lol This is why all the newest SUV's are incapable pieces of shit. They want them to be more like cars then trucks.

I can see a lot of shit-slinging that's gonna go down here...but it's about time. Fuck the X3, it's the worst car sold today IMO.

Ehh I don't know if I would go that far but I do get people all the time telling me how poor they think the X3 is relative to the cars I sell.

While I agree that the car-based SUVs are useless off-road and would get stuck on a wet lawn, they do have their place. They're fine for people who just want a normal car with more space and a better sense of security. Most people don't need or care about the hardcore off-road equipment, so it's not there.

Land Rover makes the best off-roaders, they take a solid chassis with durable components and tough off-road equipment and fit car-like luxuries to it, adding the sense of refinement. Deep down, every Land Rover is a hard-working car, it just doesn't show it. 8)

i love that advert. just the first bit obviously. i hate the X3, and the X5, and any other SUV that doesn't have a green oval badge. Vette Boss got it 100%, LR is the only good 4x4 manufacturer, which i why i love 'em.

i remember one of the shows trying the capabilites of the X5, and it failed miserably against a series 1 Landy. and even on road tyres the new Disco and Range Rover can go seriously off-road.

still a great advert though :D

i love that advert. just the first bit obviously. i hate the X3, and the X5, and any other SUV that doesn't have a green oval badge. Vette Boss got it 100%, LR is the only good 4x4 manufacturer, which i why i love 'em.

i remember one of the shows trying the capabilites of the X5, and it failed miserably against a series 1 Landy. and even on road tyres the new Disco and Range Rover can go seriously off-road.

still a great advert though :D

That was Top gear. I should have some pictures and maybe videos of a bunch of brand new Land Rovers driving off-road monday.

We have an off-road driving even this weekend for all our Land Rover customers.

Good ad.

Bad car.

/End.

that first video is insane

so you work for Land Rover?

i live very close to their experience centre at Rockingham castle here, and my driving instructor works for them as a senior instructor. i expect you've haerd of people like Vince Cobley too :)

I have a lot of difficulty trying to convince my mother that a RAV4 is not a good idea and overall a waste of money.

Cute comercial, but if I did buy an SUV, I'd much rather have the truck chasis and truck engine. Though I think it funny that the guy started off with a Cadillac Escalade-ish SUV and had a Ford F-150 underneath...

And if I wanted an overglorified wagon I'd get me an XC70...

Cute comercial, but if I did buy an SUV, I'd much rather have the truck chasis and truck engine. Though I think it funny that the guy started off with a Cadillac Escalade-ish SUV and had a Ford F-150 underneath...

And if I wanted an overglorified wagon I'd get me an XC70...

Ya, I noticed the F-150 too, I loled.

Agree.

Best towing SUV = Chrysler Aspen with the Hemi. Comfortable, cheap, powerful, and tows 8750 lbs.

Interesting commercial, but as I thought when I first saw it, the argument cuts both ways -- what's hidden beneath the non-truck SUVs is the fact that they are fake SUVs based on cars that have little or no offroad ability whatsoever -- poor ground clearance, no transfer case (meaning with three open differentials what you have is in fact one wheel drive), no low range. Repeat the same commercial with an Accord or a 3 series hiding beneath the exterior. Add the lame attempt to redefine their fake 4x4s as "Sports Activity Vehicles" (does BMW really think ANYBODY will call their tall cars SAVs?) and, well, you get where I'm going.

^ Best towing SUV is the VW Toureg with the V10 diesel. Badass :)

^^ And I have to stick up for Jeep to be on the 4x4 pedestal with LR.

Last edited:
Interesting commercial, but as I thought when I first saw it, the argument cuts both ways -- what's hidden beneath the non-truck SUVs is the fact that they are fake SUVs based on cars that have little or no offroad ability whatsoever -- poor ground clearance, no transfer case (meaning with three open differentials what you have is in fact one wheel drive), no low range. Repeat the same commercial with an Accord or a 3 series hiding beneath the exterior. Add the lame attempt to redefine their fake 4x4s as "Sports Activity Vehicles" (does BMW really think ANYBODY will call their tall cars SAVs?) and, well, you get where I'm going.

Last I checked, I don't believe BMW, or any of the "fake" SUV makers market their cars as hardcore off-road vehicles. They market them for what they are: tall wagons usually with 4wd meant for the road. I have never seen a BMW X5 or X3 commercial where the car was climbing up some dirt road pretending to be an off-roader. They're not meant for it, not built for it, and not sold like it, so I don't know where all this backlash is coming from. So the X3 has zero off-road ability...it's not supposed to have any. It's supposed to have on-road ability, which it does. I think this wannabe-SUV attitude is a result of magazines and TV shows comparing all manner of SUVs together when they're made for different purposes.

I'm no fan of SUVs myself mainly because I don't like the high seating position, poor performance, and top-heavy feel, but I can see why people buy these things regardless of off-road ability. I guess that's why here in the States the new buzzword is crossover vehicles. Truck-based SUVs are still called SUVs, but more and more, car-based SUVs are being referred to as crossovers. Maybe that'll clear up the confusion.

Last edited:
Last I checked, I don't believe BMW, or any of the "fake" SUV makers market their cars as hardcore off-road vehicles.

I'll name a few...

Almost all the Sizuki SUV's (SX4, SVX, etc.)
Volvo XC70 (I loled at this)
RAV4 used to be
there are more, but I can't think of them.

P.S. I agree, Stick up for the jeeps!

In defense of the XC70, whilst not a hardcore offroader, it's a heck of a softroader. I drove one for two weeks up in the north of Scotland on a zillion miles of single-track and more than once I dropped two wheels off with complete confidence to let oncoming white van men by :)

Steve