The Ultimate macOS Thread

From what I remember the improvements to iChat were all mostly concerning video chatting, which I don't do, ever.

They added some basics functions that help making it just that little bit better from before, like now it doesn't freeze when you send a picture to someone and a little indicator shows the progress of the send process.

Doesn't look like much, but it really changes things :-D

How's apple when it comes to warranty?

I'm considering buying that ex-demo 13" Unibody Macbook, which still has 3 months of apple warranty left, then just returning it to Apple for a once-over and have any issues fixed up.

Well if you're shipping it all the way to the US it will take awhile, if you are taking it to the store they'll do it in about an hour.

I don't know about Australia, but Apple Europe has its service center in Ireland and they are famous for only employing leprechauns who return your computer with the issue fixed, but three new issues added to compensate. Local Apple store service centers (over here in germany) are much better, but most insist on keeping your computer for three to five days if they have to do anything that involves opening the case.

I've had to have an iPod replaced and the top cover of my MB replaced. The iPod was on the spot and the top case took a couple of hours on a Sunday and here you need to make an appointment. No complaints about the service.

I've been upgrading my Power Mac G5 which I haven't used in ages (including the 23" Cinema HD display). Added some memory, getting an airport extreme card (Which is kinda hard to find), and got a new hard drive and DVD drive. I was running Panther (10.3) and Apple doesn't sell Leopard (10.5) anymore, and the prices I saw online were a couple of hundred. Office Depot showed it for 129 bucks, but they were out of stock.

Weird story, I called Apple and the person said they have it for 129. I didn't order it then because I wasn't quite sure at the time what exactly I was going to do regarding all the upgrades, and when I called back a different person said they don't have. They put me through to Apple Care and the agent sent me the install DVD for only $16 bucks. Awesome.

Anyway, the point of me posting. Can I use the apple remote for my macbook with the G5? Or what do I need to make it work.

I don't think the G5 has got an IR sensor, which is used for the remote :-/

If you have a bluetooth enabled phone you can look for a solution like Sailing Clicker which will allows you to do the same thing :)

Oh yes, there is :)

You have Remote by Apple to control iTunes, Keynote Remote for Keynote and I believe the guys from VLC did one too.

Any partiucular tips/hints for OSX? Useful programs, etc?

Not sure. Something I use pretty often is Command (Apple) + Shift + 4 for taking screenshots.

How about some windows-equivalent shortcut keys?

*Yes, I owned a hackintosh for a while, but that was with a normal keyboard.

mostly just command instead of control.
command + alt esc is the most important to know, Mac equivalent to ctrl + alt +del.

I am really liking GeekTool. It's a prefs pane that allows you to run commandline programs and have them displayed on your desktop. It has a nifty mode where the return code of the program is used to show a green or red dot. I use it to have an easy-to-see status update for the FG DB server and forum status. I'll make a screenshot if anyone wants to see

I am really liking GeekTool. It's a prefs pane that allows you to run commandline programs and have them displayed on your desktop. It has a nifty mode where the return code of the program is used to show a green or red dot. I use it to have an easy-to-see status update for the FG DB server and forum status. I'll make a screenshot if anyone wants to see

i didn't understad a word what you said, but please post screenshot :)

Screenshot, as requested:

DBR