The Ultimate macOS Thread

I'm behind the times. New Macbooks?

So how do you click on things without a mouse button? Also, no matte screen option? Pfft screw that, I'll keep my MBP with a nice screen thanks. I wouldn't mind the gpu upgrade though, seeing as I actually need gpu power :(

also I use NeoOffice - http://www.neooffice.org/ for word processing. The new OpenOffice.org apparently has proper OSX support now, haven't bothered with it yet though.

i took a look at the new macbook pro's, damn the case feels rigid as hell. and the edge to edge glass makes it hell of a lot easier to clean.

I'm behind the times. New Macbooks?

So how do you click on things without a mouse button? Also, no matte screen option? Pfft screw that, I'll keep my MBP with a nice screen thanks. I wouldn't mind the gpu upgrade though, seeing as I actually need gpu power

the whole trackpad is the button. just push on the lower half of it and itll sort of hinge down and click
ive tried one and it's hard to say whether i like it or not. should get used to it
but the large trackpad is certainly great

also, continuing with the cool apps

Screen knock
http://welcometochrisworld.com/2008/10/02/screen-knock/
uses the inbuilt motion sensor to change spaces
just tap the side of your mac and itll change them

pretty cool app

I'm actually considering selling my current laptop, and getting one of those new MacBook's, surely they're not cheap, but they look magnificent. Mind you, if you look at them like you'd look at cars, they're quite cheap, they hold their value.

This Dell I bought almost 2 years ago, was around 1500 EUR, right now, I'm hoping to sell it at 500 EUR. The first iBook I had (used), bought and sold it for 500 EUR (after a year). The PowerBook G4 I had after that, bought it for 1000 EUR, sold it for 800 EUR (also after a year)(quite a significant loss for an Apple, but I sold it after the Intels came out, so that made the price drop quite big).

The only thing I'm worried about at this moment is that's a first revision of a new design. What will it's flaws be? Will there be any? Judging by previous first revisions there have always been a couple of this and thats that weren't perfect.

I'm happy though they also lowered the prices of the AppleCare package, not so happy about the fact only the more expensive MB has a backlit-keyboard, and that the Remote doesn't come as standard anymore. Good thing I have one lying around from my Universal Dock I don't use at all.

Really, really glad they finally up'ed the GFX-department though, 9400m, not too shabby. If they'd finally give the iMac a 9600 or better I would also be very tempted by buying that.

Btw, you guys get 12%? What a rip off, we only get 6%. :| But for that we do get a 125 EUR discount on a new iPod, too bad I don't need one.

Cheers

there are 2 stores

Eductation and Higher Education.... 6 and 12% respectively. you can only get to the HE store via your universities network or over the phone so long as you provide proof you are a student attending university

i took a look at the new macbook pro's, damn the case feels rigid as hell. and the edge to edge glass makes it hell of a lot easier to clean.

so it should, have you seen how they make the bulk of the case for these things?

its machined from a solid billet of aluminium.... 13 machining processes with lasers (IR and UV types perhaps) and CNC's

solid on piece construction... should improve structural strength and improve fit, finish and tolerances.

^ Well it's not totally one piece, is it? They must use a separate piece for the bottom after they've shoved in all the hardware. The old one wasn't that many pieces either, I think 3 including the screen.

Hopefully they've made the aluminum more sturdy. My old MBP had quite a few dents on the aluminum chassis, even though I never abused it. It was really easy to bend.

I'd prefer a traditional keyboard and trackpad too. But Apple always fails at input devices anyway...

Generally you're right but the new Apple aluminum keyboards are simply incredible. Even people who are staunch critics of Apple have loved it.

no HDMI on the Pro

Extremely worthless video port considering the availability of DVI->HDMI cables/adapters, not to mention the inherent issues of including HDMI (therefore HDCP) and Apple recently taking a firm stance about copy protection, especially ones that require a hefty license.

I think the best solution for Apple would be to make a desktop docking station for the Macbook and Macbook Pro. I understand why El Jobso is removing ports from the computers, and his desire to have a buttonless computer. Just give me a docking station that has HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort, FireWire 400/800, eSata, etc... etc... for the people who need / want those ports.

Generally you're right but the new Apple aluminum keyboards are simply incredible. Even people who are staunch critics of Apple have loved it.

I was talking about mice, not keyboards. They're never decent...

I was talking about mice, not keyboards. They're never decent...

Well the mice I'll agree on, but then again I won't use anything other than Logitech mice (MX518, G5, etc) anyways.

there are 2 stores

Eductation and Higher Education.... 6 and 12% respectively. you can only get to the HE store via your universities network or over the phone so long as you provide proof you are a student attending university
Ah, I see.

It's 6% at MAX here, no mather your degree of education. The reseller offered me 3% and I wouldn't have gotten a 125 EUR discount on an iPod. So I decided to just get it off the Apple site, although the estimated delivery date is 10 Nov. now. Grrr! I don't like waiting! :lol:

I just got a look at the MacBooks and MBPs. Damn they are nice. <_<

The MacBook is solid as hell, much more rigid than the last gen MacBooks. I was completely surprised with the trackpad as well. Having the huge trackpad is nice and it clicks about 3/4 of the way up.

My only complaint is that with the MacBook and MacBook Pro side by side, you can still see a distinct difference in screen quality. I'm uncertain whether they are using the same screens or if they're still using a higher quality screen in the MBP, but the MacBook looked like crap compared to the MBP. (Or maybe it was just that particular MacBook)

I just got a look at the MacBooks and MBPs. Damn they are nice. <_<

The MacBook is solid as hell, much more rigid than the last gen MacBooks. I was completely surprised with the trackpad as well. Having the huge trackpad is nice and it clicks about 3/4 of the way up.

My only complaint is that with the MacBook and MacBook Pro side by side, you can still see a distinct difference in screen quality. I'm uncertain whether they are using the same screens or if they're still using a higher quality screen in the MBP, but the MacBook looked like crap compared to the MBP. (Or maybe it was just that particular MacBook)
Hmm, can't say I have noticed that in the store. Difference between old and new LED displays was very very obvious though.

It does indeed feel quite rigid, and according to ifixit.com, also quite easy to maintain yourself (finally). Which probably also is the reason the AppleCare prices went down.

Hmm, I can't find myself in what those people say, maybe my current laptop screen isn't that good, so I'm used to it. :p

But if it indeed turns out to be crap when it arrives, it's going back to Apple without hesitation. For an already overpriced notebook, I expect something flawless.

I completely agree. For what seems like an underpowered, smaller MacBook Pro it should look perfect.

Just got the unibody a few days ago. It's a solid machine and the glass pad is a dream to Jobsian obsession with no buttons.

macbookpropropro

3009504625_cdec4eec7a.jpg

:mrgreen:

Happy!

The only disappointment is that for whatever reason my Exchange account works perfectly fine with my iPod touch (calendar and email wise), yet on an Apple computer, iCal still isn't part of the whole Exchange deal. So I still have to use Outlook on my other computer to not miss out on that.

The screen isn't all that bad, it's much better than my previous laptop screen and I'm really relieved after hearing all those boo-stories. Much, MUCH better blacks too.

Ok, how the HECK do I disable the Apple Remote functioning with my Universal Dock? Everytime I want to just control the computer, it also kicks in the iPod.

HALP! :(