The Ultimate macOS Thread

Don't get the same adapter as Polly, you need one designed for the Unibody MacBooks! Optical Drives in older MacBooks used PATA while the unibodies use SATA :)

There's a SATA version of that exact adapter:

DSC_0.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180524269893

But if you compare it to this one (which I think I'll buy):

373127463_o.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220644043981&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You'll see that its missing 3 screwholes on the adapter, and the ifixit guide shows that the superdrive installed on the MB pro has those screw holes on it too. But the first adapter is a bit cheaper, so i'm curious as to what will work better.

And I'm thinking I might buy a separate DVD drive instead of getting an enclosure for the superdrive since good cases aren't cheap.

Last edited:
The issue with eBay is that even if you order the second one, you might receive the first one anyway (and vice-versa as well)... I guess they'll both work OK, even though I'd prefer to have the second one with the screws on the front so that it doesn't move inside the machine once screwed.

All these utilities get their informations from the system_profiler command line, so they'll return the same stuff :)

You can also check the System Profiler.app utility in /Applications/Utilities.

/jumping in on the battery talk

So, my battery's only supposed to retain 80% capacity up to 300 loadcycles, I'm at 70% and 667... I suppose there's no chance of Apple giving me a new battery under warranty, eh? And that comes out to 0.75 loadcycles a day, I pretty much drain my battery every time I'm running on battery power so... I guess I'm stuck with a sucky battery then?

/jumping in on the battery talk

So, my battery's only supposed to retain 80% capacity up to 300 loadcycles, I'm at 70% and 667... I suppose there's no chance of Apple giving me a new battery under warranty, eh? And that comes out to 0.75 loadcycles a day, I pretty much drain my battery every time I'm running on battery power so... I guess I'm stuck with a sucky battery then?

Does Apple have a separate battery warranty? I know my Dell does/did-1 year compared to the 3 years on the whole machine. I found that suddenly (like 2 months after I bought the laptop) the battery capacity plummeted significantly. A Online Chat later and a new battery was on it's way on the condition that i'd cross ship the other back for inspection/testing.

If you notice a noticeable drop in runtime...perhaps you might have a case?

The battery has the same warranty as the mac, but it has a limited number of cycles. Non-unibodies were warrantied for 300 cycles and a bit (you could always discuss with Apple), unibodies should be ok for at least 500 for the ones with removable batteries and god-knows how many for the one with integrated batteries. Apple needs to communicate on that one day...

Hopefully this week I will find the time to take the MBP into Apple for them to look at the battery issue.

Any idea what might happen? I am thinking in terms of my files, will they likely replace the battery or give me a new unit altogether? I would obviously prefer the latter, but since I am away from home and my desktop if I got a new laptop that would mean I would lose a whole bunch of crap.

I suppose it would be wishful thinking that they give me a new unit and also somehow get all my junk over?

I'm pretty sure they'll just replace the battery. Hopefully they'll be able to do it on the spot, but they might need to keep it for a little while.

Keep it for a while? Nah, I won't settle for that... not while I'm away from home and dealing with a 20 day old unit. I suppose I just gotta go and see what they say.

It's kind of funny, I'm now remembering my old MBP was problematic too and Apple mailed me a new one. I think I got a little speed bump too since they had upgraded the CPUs in the meantime.

The battery has the same warranty as the mac, but it has a limited number of cycles. Non-unibodies were warrantied for 300 cycles and a bit (you could always discuss with Apple), unibodies should be ok for at least 500 for the ones with removable batteries and god-knows how many for the one with integrated batteries. Apple needs to communicate on that one day...
When I asked (I went through 4 batteries on my last laptop <_<) they said the opposite. Batteries are considered disposable and you get a shorter warranty that DOES NOT get extended if you buy apple care. Both the store(s) and calling them gave me this answer.

Does anyone else's unibody MBP have a bit of flex on the bottom? When I lay down in bed and put it on my chest it gives a small thud and the same when I lift it off. Not a big deal, but I was kinda enjoying the thought that this thing is rock solid.

When I asked (I went through 4 batteries on my last laptop <_<) they said the opposite. Batteries are considered disposable and you get a shorter warranty that DOES NOT get extended if you buy apple care. Both the store(s) and calling them gave me this answer.

They replaced my swollen battery on the spot even 1.5 years into my AppleCare.
I also replace faulty batteries with more than a year of usage on a weekly basis for the customers in the shop where I work :)

Boot Camp is pissing me off... the keyboard is acting up and question marks turn out as ? and and apostrophes turn out as ?... any ideas? :p

Boot Camp is pissing me off... the keyboard is acting up and question marks turn out as ? and and apostrophes turn out as ?... any ideas? :p

Windows language/formatting settings correct?

http://img168.imageshack.**/img168/4435/languageo.png