The Ultimate macOS Thread

The latest MacDefender variants require nearly no user intervention/authentication to install, it's literally a drive by thing.
One does have to step through the installer though....so in theory one could cancel if the buttons in the installer UI weren't swapped or all mapped to "next". One could Force Quit it too I guess

MacDefender is apparently dead, it was a company in Russia and most of their people are now under arrest :-d Well, that's if you actually believe the Russian police and press of course.

Some schools use Cisco Clean Access Agent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_NAC_Appliance#Clean_Access_Agent to verify that the system's in compliance with their security policy (AV, Windows/OS X patches up to date, firewall status, etc.) before letting them have full network and internet access. If he removes it, he could lose connectivity until he re installs it and re validates his system.

Well, that sucks.

Just get rid of it, how's she going to know that you have it or not?

The woman knows everything. She's kinda insane, hence the IT position at a high school.

The latest MacDefender variants require nearly no user intervention/authentication to install, it's literally a drive by thing.
One does have to step through the installer though....so in theory one could cancel if the buttons in the installer UI weren't swapped or all mapped to "next". One could Force Quit it too I guess
You would still have to visit a compromised site. I rarely visit sites I don't know, my daily site list is static and most other stuff I need to look at can be found on a few professional sites that I also know quite well. With OS X defending yourself from malware is as easy as paying attention, it's just not a big enough target yet for automated malware (it'll get there I'm sure)

The only reason to run an antivirus software on a Mac is to check files you get from Windows users and forward to other users for viruses so you won't unknowingly spread Windows viruses.
Yeah that is pretty much the only reason I have mine as it picks up the windows ones. It is not actually technically installed on this drive either, I would have to boot off my external partition as I didn't feel the need of clogging this drive with it.

Which antivirus do you guys use?

iAntiVirus. Free as well. I'm not sure how good it is since I've never had an issue though.

Sister got a new 11-inch Air today seeing as it's the Tax-Free Weekend. She loves it. So far.

New PC/Mac yesterday:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K -
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 -
Graphics Card: Asus Radeon HD 6870
RAM: G Skill Sniper (16GB)
Case: Antec 300
Power Supply: Asus 600W
Optical Drive: LG Cheapo
Hard Drive: Seagate 1 TB 7200RPM

All in all very happy so far

Got a question for those of you with optibays - Does the iDVD patch still work after you update from SL to Lion?

I updated my hackintosh to Lion. It went completely smoothly. The only problem is that I don't have room for a desktop in the house, so it's tucked away in the server shed for when I need to sync my iPhone or test the Minecraft server.

I love that I was simply able to boot up, choose the install partition from the bootloader, install, reboot, restore from time-machine, and all was well. It's fixed the Nvidia Fermi crashes too.

I got a 11" Air today :D
I am jealous. I'm thinking of getting either an 11" or a 13" sometime in the next 4 months; I'm leaning to the 11", but has the small screen been annoying? I'd mostly be using it for web-browsing and text-mode editing (ie, vim over SSH), so I was thinking I could just use full-screen mode for the most part.

Last edited:
Well, just updated to Lion. Not really seeing what the fuss is all about, but some of the UI overhaul is pretty nice.

Now just have to download all the files for updating to bootcamp 4.0

Joy of joys the newly released of netatalk 2.2 nows works with Time Machine. It has started to back up now.