The Ultimate macOS Thread

Don't get a black one. They haven't made them in a while so the technology in them is old. The new white ones have the latest video card and chipset and such similar to the aluminium ones. I highly recommend an Alu one though (I bought it) They have DDR3 and the glass touchpad is sooooooooooo nice. The overall quality feel of metal and glass is so great that I'll never go back to a cheap plasticrap laptop! :)

I have an Intel graphics macbook Polly, if you get a blackbook for a good price, go for it :) My Macbook is running snowleopard fine :) So its future proof for another 2 or so years at least.

I'd rather have a alu Macbook than a plastic one tbh, but I don't quite like the look of the white ones and if I would go for a alu one, it just had to be the new 13" MBP.

So either Black Macbook or Macbook Pro. And this is where the price comes in. <_<

i hope the new ones are built better than mine, in a year in a half i have had the hard drive the cd drive the right fan and the logic board replaced, pos computer for $2000 i expected it at least to last a year(does work well when the hardware isn't broken)

Really? I've got the previous-generation MacBook Pro, and it's been fantastic.

Another app I forgot about, but don't want to keep from you guys;

CoverSutra

screenshot1.png

screenshot3.png

screenshot12.png

I looove CoverSutra. :D

I'd rather have a alu Macbook than a plastic one tbh, but I don't quite like the look of the white ones and if I would go for a alu one, it just had to be the new 13" MBP.

So either Black Macbook or Macbook Pro. And this is where the price comes in. <_<

Why not go for a refurb Macbook (non-pro) Alu? It will have performance stats similar to the pro while being cheaper. The black books are just sooo out of date. I would NOT buy one.

fthls7.png

Apple has the best refurb programme in the industry and it is as good as new. Everything you can touch is brand new, and it has the same warranty as a new one.

Last edited:
Why not go for a refurb Macbook (non-pro) Alu? It will have performance stats similar to the pro while being cheaper. The black books are just sooo out of date. I would NOT buy one.

Problem is that right now over here, the cheapest new Macbook is effectively just about 100 bucks more than the cheapest refurbished unibody Macbook, due to the educational discount and free iTouch thing that they offer.

But hey, I guess I'll just wait and see what I end up buying. Whatever Macbook it will be, I know that I am going to adore it. :D

Where is "over here"?

Well, a "Schwarz" MacBook costs ?849 from Amazon.de (only place you can get them now besides eBay), which is the same price as a refurbished Alu one from Apple, so I wouldn't bother with that. It just comes down to whether you want the plastic one with student discounts (?949 - ~?100?) and a free iPod, the cheaper refurb Alu MacBook (?849), or the more expensive refurb MBP(?999).

Good luck! :)

My calculations were ze following:

tidy, used black one: ~600,-

refurb unibody: 849,-

MBP with discount and if I re-sell the iPod: ~950,-

But I've seen tidy, used unibodys on offer for as less as 700,-. That would be a good compromise I guess.

Just make sure you can still buy AppleCare if you're buying used. (Do buy AppleCare on eBay, it's ALOT cheaper, I believe I paid 80 EUR rather than the 300 or so Apple wants) If you want, I can look through my email history and try to find the seller.

^^Oh, yeah if you want to resell the iPod, that would help. Didn't consider that until after posting.

I personally would be sceptical of used laptops, but that's just me. I don't know how important battery condition is to you.

Last edited:
The new 13MBP has a higher quality LCD screen, an SD Card reader, firewire, and the line-in has been abolished.

On top of that, only the Pro has the very useful backlit keyboard.

So does the 2.4GHz Alu regular MB.

Just make sure you can still buy AppleCare if you're buying used. (Do buy AppleCare on eBay, it's ALOT cheaper, I believe I paid 80 EUR rather than the 300 or so Apple wants) If you want, I can look through my email history and try to find the seller.

Thanks, I found that. I'll definately keep an eye on that.

^^Oh, yeah if you want to resell the iPod, that would help. Didn't consider that until after posting.

I personally would be sceptical of used laptops, but that's just me. I don't know how important battery condition is to you.

I'll be very careful if I buy on ebay. But I'm on another board which is perfect for slightly used electronics. A lot of nutters on there like me, who buy toys and re-sell them just a few months later because we get a bit tired of them. So we keep everything in perfect nick from the first day, always keeping the resale value in mind.

Well, if you need any help redirecting a package from the US to get a good deal, I might be able to help, since an Alu MB is only ~?600 here. The key is to put a low value on the customs/insurance form, but then if it gets lost in shipment, you are screwed since you can't claim the full value.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer mate, I really appreciate it. But I think I wouldn't want to risk it, customs over here went quite keen on that for the last few years, mostly due to the plummeting dollar and a certain other Apple product which people started to import en masse. Plus we have that different key layout, different power adaptor things. Nah, too much off a hassle all in all.

To clarify, you still pay VAT. You just pay VAT on ?500 instead of ?600. Also, with the keyboard, you can just swap the letters around in to the correct position (QWERTZ) and buy a few replacement keys (cheap) and set OSX to German Keyboard input mode (I did this to mine for the UK layout with the only difference being the shape of the Return key). Anyway, just a suggestion since I know some other people who have done it.

Last edited:
:hmm: ..I guess I'll look into it and get back to you.

Wierd, just noticed for the first that your avatar is animated.. :blink:

Not sure if it was discussed here, but I just learned that the Snow Leopard upgrade will work on intel-based macs still running Tiger. So that means I can upgrade for 25 bucks (on amazon) instead of $150! I ordered it already.