The Ultimate macOS Thread

I've never used iChat because of the AOL thing. I use Skype and it works great. So the only advice I can give you is try to convince your friend to use Skype instead.

Are your versions compatible? Maybe one of you needs to update, or revert.

I've seen it before. Usually what it is is a misconfigured firewall or incompatible router on the PC side. If you'd like, at some point we could test it out to make sure that's what it is.

Also, did you set the bandwidth throttles in iChat? iChat menu:preferences:Audio/Video then down at the bottom set that to the minimum of 100kbps.

I just hackintoshed a dell mini 10V into a macbook mini, so I guess I'm the newest member of the OSX club. Anyone got any suggestions for killer apps, etc?

I just got my Macbook Pro a few days ago, so I'm a new Mac user too! Very happy with my laptop so far, except my wireless router always crashes so I lose connection sometimes. Any suggestions on what kind of wireless routers is good for Macs?

Any suggestions on what kind of wireless routers is good for Macs?

Any router, it doesn't matter whether it's Mac or PC.

But if you don't want dropped connections then you probably don't want Netgear products.

I just got my Macbook Pro a few days ago, so I'm a new Mac user too! Very happy with my laptop so far, except my wireless router always crashes so I lose connection sometimes. Any suggestions on what kind of wireless routers is good for Macs?
Any decent one with a decent name. Netgear, Linksys, (I almost shutter to say it, but...) Belkin... As long as it's a name brand, you should be OK.

I'm using a SMC wireless router that I got 5 years ago; it was quite good for PCs, but not too good for Macs. The one that I got from my ISP (Telus Siemens SE567) was even worse; I lose my Internet - but not my wireless connection - every 15 minutes!! The SMC is better, but I'm looking for something that's more reliable. Do you folks have any recommendations as to which specify model will work? It seems Macs are more "choosey" as to wireless connections compared to PCs. Thanks!!

Apple stuff works best with other apple stuff in my experience. I'm not a huge mac user, but I do support a group of labs running mostly mac stuff and a network of student computers that's at least half mac.

I'm using a SMC wireless router that I got 5 years ago; it was quite good for PCs, but not too good for Macs. The one that I got from my ISP (Telus Siemens SE567) was even worse; I lose my Internet - but not my wireless connection - every 15 minutes!! The SMC is better, but I'm looking for something that's more reliable. Do you folks have any recommendations as to which specify model will work? It seems Macs are more "choosey" as to wireless connections compared to PCs. Thanks!!
Any Linksys/Sysco router won't do you wrong, I will say.

Whereas Netgear routers may route your packets off to god knows where.

Anyway, most of the issue with "Mac Router Compatibility" comes from weird implementations of passwords/passcodes/keys for wireless networks. I would say Linksys/Cisco, D-Link, then Belkin in that order.

I quite like the Apple Airport Extreme, but at $200CAD with no discount in sight, it's a bit expensive. I would take a look at LinkSys and D-Link as I've heard very good things about them. Thanks for your suggestions folks, greatly appreciated it!!

My Linksys PCI wifi card is rather shitty. The drivers are unreliable (I have to disable and enable the card all the time). I got a much better experience out of the $20 Belkin card I picked up 6 years ago that still works great in my brother's PC.

My Linksys PCI wifi card is rather shitty. The drivers are unreliable (I have to disable and enable the card all the time). I got a much better experience out of the $20 Belkin card I picked up 6 years ago that still works great in my brother's PC.

erm isn't that the why broadcom's wlan-cards are so widely used, as linksys/cisco makes working routers.

I use an Airport Xpress (?) and I'm pretty happy with it. Use it for wireless printing and used to use it for Airtunes and streaming movie audio but not anymore. It was overheating for a while but not anymore.

I did have a Buffalo router and had the same problem as Bobo (inet dropping out intermittently but connection OK) but I think that was because I set it up wrong - something to do with the ip address being self assigned or some such nonsense.

I haven't experienced any dropouts for a whole day (knock on wood), so I think I have some time to wait for either a discount for the Airport Extreme, or shop for a LinkSys/D-Link router in the next 2 weeks. Right now my most immediate concern is my cheap Microsoft mouse, as the scroll wheel is broken. The Magic Mouse (I've used up all my USB ports, so I need a Bluetooth mouse) is out of stock, so I have to wait.

surprisingly, now that it is in range I rarely have issues with my actiontec verizon one :blink:

I haven't experienced any dropouts for a whole day (knock on wood), so I think I have some time to wait for either a discount for the Airport Extreme, or shop for a LinkSys/D-Link router in the next 2 weeks. Right now my most immediate concern is my cheap Microsoft mouse, as the scroll wheel is broken. The Magic Mouse (I've used up all my USB ports, so I need a Bluetooth mouse) is out of stock, so I have to wait.

D-Link, LinkSys or Netgear are 100% fine.

(I've used up all my USB ports, so I need a Bluetooth mouse)

Bluetooth is quite battery-hungry. I'd recommend to get a USB hub and a cable mouse.

Hmm, so I finished installing the new 500GB HD into my MB pro today, and I'm wondering why it seems to be running a bit more sluggish than before. They're both 5400rpm drives, so there shouldn't be much of a speed difference.

I've already repaired disk permissions and verified the disk using disk utility. Might it be just because I simply copied everything over to the new HD via time machine that its running a bit weird?

Damn, never create rules to automagically move all your FinalGear mails into a separate folder, I haven't checked them in a week :-D

For your problem, Time Machine is known to cause some cases of sluggishness, the best way to do things is to directly clone the old drive on the new one using Disk Utility for instance :)