The Ultimate macOS Thread

Oh I see!

You can use gfxcardstatus to force the machine to stick on the integrated graphics while they fix the bug :)

Those are the main reasons that I use Safari almost exclusively when on Mac. It's a shame, Chrome feels decidedly snappier, if you ask me.

Oh I see!

You can use gfxcardstatus to force the machine to stick on the integrated graphics while they fix the bug :)
Thanks I couldn't remember the name of that software :)

Also I have noticed a weird thing, sometimes when it comes back from sleep it loses wi-fi, by that I mean it connects to the WAP and appears to be connected but doesn't seem to get the DNS information as I cannot access any sites (get an error) at first I thought it was the router overheating as I couldn't use the Airport Utility to get to it and my Time Machine back up failed (have a drive plugged into the AEBS). So I restarted the router and it fixed it, happened again yesterday but my fiancee had no problems and then all of a sudden I lost the connection and when reconnected worked fine. Happened again today and I just disabled Wi-Fi and enabled it again and it worked fine again. It worked fine on Snow Leopard so I'm assuming this is Lion specific.

EDIT: Instaleld gfxcardstatus and it's confirmed simply starting Chrome will switch the system to run on the discrete GPU which is likely because Chrome comes with its own embedded version of Flash. I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple did it on purpose to force people to go with Safari since this issue seems to have been around on the 2011 MBPs since release.

Last edited:
Also I have noticed a weird thing, sometimes when it comes back from sleep it loses wi-fi, by that I mean it connects to the WAP and appears to be connected but doesn't seem to get the DNS information as I cannot access any sites (get an error) at first I thought it was the router overheating as I couldn't use the Airport Utility to get to it and my Time Machine back up failed (have a drive plugged into the AEBS). So I restarted the router and it fixed it, happened again yesterday but my fiancee had no problems and then all of a sudden I lost the connection and when reconnected worked fine. Happened again today and I just disabled Wi-Fi and enabled it again and it worked fine again. It worked fine on Snow Leopard so I'm assuming this is Lion specific.
Weird. Sounds like the kind of thing that would be sorted out with a software update.
EDIT: Instaleld gfxcardstatus and it's confirmed simply starting Chrome will switch the system to run on the discrete GPU which is likely because Chrome comes with its own embedded version of Flash. I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple did it on purpose to force people to go with Safari since this issue seems to have been around on the 2011 MBPs since release.
Remember Hanlon's Razor. Flash is a piece of crap.

Weird. Sounds like the kind of thing that would be sorted out with a software update.
Or firmware but yeah I think the 10.7.1 is likely going to take care of it. I have noticed that it connects to the network faster.

Remember Hanlon's Razor. Flash is a piece of crap.
No argument here but the point is that it doesn't do the same thing on Safari, it looks like for some reason third party software either doesn't know how to tell the laptop to stay on the Intel GPU or the OS doesn't know that just because the software needs access to the GPU for some hardware accelerated tasks it doesn't need to run on the Radeon.
I don't understand why Apple doesn't have options in the Energy Saver to run on integrated only when on battery though (and gfxscardtatus while has that option doesn't seem to actually be able to force it, might just be that it has yet to be updated for Lion)

Does anyone know of a way to deugly address book and ical?

Does anyone know of a way to deugly address book and ical?

I wish. Those were changes I was really hoping wouldn't make it past the developer builds.

Do you know why I haven't upgraded? This screenshot.
see_fullscreen.png

Oh look! Apple has stolen the horrible gawker layout that makes jalopnik so annoying. Yes, I can switch to thunderbird but why should I have to go through that pain in the ass of relocating all the files because apple decided to ruin something else.

see_fullscreen.png

Oh look! Apple has stolen the horrible gawker layout that makes jalopnik so annoying. Yes, I can switch to thunderbird but why should I have to go through that pain in the ass of relocating all the files because apple decided to ruin something else.
That I do not understand. And I also do not see what this has to do with Gawker.

PS.
BRxaU.png

I have a question - if i get a bootable lion dvd from a friend will it still install fine even though we have different accounts?

Anyone have any idea how to create a boot disc for Lion after installing it already ?

I had a bit of a special moment and forget to create the install disc before installing Lion.

Since I've already installed Lion, the Lion Installer has been removed (or hidden really, really well) so I can't create an install disc. I usually have an OS X install disc with me on the road in case I need to boot my MBP from it if there are any OS problems.

Any ideas ?

ETA: I've tried to go and re-download the installer from the app store but it's greyed out and labelled 'installed' on both my iMac and MBP.

To redownload the installer on a computer running OS X Lion, press and hold the Option key while you click the Purchases tab. If the button to the right of the Install Mac OS X Lion item doesn't change to "Install" and allow you to download Lion, use Spotlight to search for "Install Mac OS X Lion" on your computer.

from another forum.

That I do not understand. And I also do not see what this has to do with Gawker.

PS.

Screenshot2011-07-27at15544PM.png

You don't see the resemblance in the layout?

Also it would be incredibly stupid it download something that costs money and would force me to to go through the massive pain of downgrading again if I didn't like it just to see if you could switch the layouts to something less obnoxious. Apple is not exactly a company that does that very often especially since prizak posted a bunch of things that require terminal overrides (which doesn't include the override for the media button I had to find for SL myself awhile ago) and I assume by the fact you didn't reply to the question of deuglying address book and ical they can't be, and someone mentioned earlier in this thread preview is stuck as blue not neutral background which would also annoy the heck out of me.

Screenshot2011-07-27at15544PM.png

You don't see the resemblance in the layout?

Also it would be incredibly stupid it download something that costs money and would force me to to go through the massive pain of downgrading again if I didn't like it just to see if you could switch the layouts to something less obnoxious. Apple is not exactly a company that does that very often especially since prizak posted a bunch of things that require terminal overrides (which doesn't include the override for the media button I had to find for SL myself awhile ago) and I assume by the fact you didn't reply to the question of deuglying address book and ical they can't be, and someone mentioned earlier in this thread preview is stuck as blue not neutral background which would also annoy the heck out of me.
Web based e-mail is your friend :p You would need to use it somewhere first if you are used to some specifics, in my case I fire up Chrome and thats about as far as I get :D

see_fullscreen.png

I actually think that looks quite nice. I was using a hack that allows side-by-side preview in Mail.app in SL until I switched to Sparrow, and this looks like 1/2-way between the two. I think my wife will like it a lot too, since she really wanted to use Sparrow for the interface, but didn't want to lose the RSS integration.

Web based e-mail is your friend :p You would need to use it somewhere first if you are used to some specifics, in my case I fire up Chrome and thats about as far as I get :D
Which is fine for one email address, but when you need a couple and honestly though gmail's sorting options are way better than when I switched off web based for them, it is still not nearly as good as mail's are.