The Weather Thread

THGL

Car(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) Limited
Only in New England:

Dude, we got you beat here in Louisville. Yesterday's high was 55, today 3.

The cold came in so quick, the news was warning of "flash freezing" of the roads last night. I've never heard the weatherman use that term before.

toma_alimosh

Also known as "Myke Hunt"
Car(s)
2014 Volkswagen Jetta
Oh, the weather outside is frightful,
And the fire is so delightful,
But since we got lots of snow,
Ah, hell no! Ah, hell no! Ah, hell no!

jdwud

Car(s)
Oldsmobile Intrigue (rip), Ford Fusion
A video from the Pettit Ice center. People have been tossing hot water into the cold air around here, we don't get weather cold enough very often.

GRtak

Forum Addict
It was so cold here this morning the dog gave me her Looney Tunes Buzzard impression.

Uhhhh, no no nope, I don't wanna!

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
How are you guys keeping your house warm? It's 2F here and keeping this old farm house 67F is making the heater run overtime.
Contractors oversized the furnace in my place. The heater hasn't run any more than it usually does. But, builders suck at sizing HVAC systems and ducting.

However, 50% of the windows on the house have replaced with fancy double pane gas charged windows. That might help since the single panes have either condensation or frost on them. :dunno:

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
That's something I'd like to do, replace the old leaky windows in the house.

I'm to blame if the heater downstairs is undersized. I bought something cheap to replace a leaking propane furnace.

XeroState

Car(s)
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
While I do kind of feel bad for those in cold weather, on the other hand I laugh and say "Welcome to my world" lol... 2 feet of snow, followed by 55kph winds with the next day having a day time high -48C with the windchill, and an overnight low getting close to -60C with the wind.

No schools closed, no businesses closed. Ordinary day lol

That American Girl

Car(s)
None, right now. Bye Bye Mustang. :-(
Contractors oversized the furnace in my place. The heater hasn't run any more than it usually does. But, builders suck at sizing HVAC systems and ducting.

However, 50% of the windows on the house have replaced with fancy double pane gas charged windows. That might help since the single panes have either condensation or frost on them. :dunno:

I have double pained windows yet I still had ice on all the frames. :)

Also, In Zanesville here, we hit a record low of -29 with the wind chill. In Columbus, we had to bring in the damn polar bears!

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
That's something I'd like to do, replace the old leaky windows in the house.
Start there. Check your attic and add insulation, caulk any leaks. But, you do need some to maintain air quality in the house. Do a Manual J load calculation. You can be super detailed with it but, you don't have to be.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Start there. Check your attic and add insulation, caulk any leaks. But, you do need some to maintain air quality in the house. Do a Manual J load calculation. You can be super detailed with it but, you don't have to be.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that calculation.

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
I think winter may have forgotten us. Sure it's been lashing down with rain and causing floods and the high winds have brought down some trees and roof tiles but it has been so mild this winter the daffodils are already sprouting in the garden and it's not even the middle of January!!

Currently overcast with sunny spells and a balmy 9C. :unsure:

he-he

Car(s)
Lotus Elise SC; still misses motorbike :(
Grrr, thanks Matt! You've just guaranteed snow on the day of the London Marathon :p

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
I think winter may have forgotten us. Sure it's been lashing down with rain and causing floods and the high winds have brought down some trees and roof tiles but it has been so mild this winter the daffodils are already sprouting in the garden and it's not even the middle of January!!

:dance:

captain_70s

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'77 Triumph Dolomite 1300 + '83 Triumph Acclaim

The temperature is sitting at a causal 4-7C around here, By rights it should be sub-0 most mornings and rarely over 5C during the day at this time of year. It's like autumn has decided to stick around for another few months...

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
DONOR
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
We finally got some winter weather here. Flurries of snow yesterday and sunny -10C day today. :clap: I think it's the first time we're at sub zero temperatures since early December..

Last edited: