James May: The weekly Telegraph column by James thread

Trains that carry cars? Oh James, you're a man with my own heart. I wish they had that service more thoroughly in the US too; I'm looking at a road trip through the Midwest, but my god the distances between cities are massive there.

I love how the Google can't even back translate its own work correctly.

Bonjour mes amis! Je returnevouz from la belle France. Tres beau! Tres jollie! Le soleil brille, et il fait chaud. Un vent leger souffle de l'Atlantique*. Je suis broke grace ? la leaux value la pound contre l'Euro, merci M. Brun et votre traiteurs au pays.

Et seau on et seau on.

Hello my friends! I returnevouz from la belle France. Very nice! Tres Jollie! The sun shines, and it's hot. Light winds from the Atlantic *. I'm broke thanks to Leaux value the pound against the Euro, thank you Mr. Brown and caterers in your country.

And one bucket and one bucket.

Well, to be fair. I think the "et seau on et seau on" was James's invention, not Google's. :D

I can't help but get the feeling that there is something hidden in this article that I'm just not seeing. What it is, I have no idea.

I can't help but get the feeling that there is something hidden in this article that I'm just not seeing. What it is, I have no idea.

Have you tried lining up the first letter of every sentence or paragraph? ;)

JamesMayAutocar.jpg

I love how the Google can't even back translate its own work correctly.

Bonjour mes amis! Je returnevouz from la belle France. Tres beau! Tres jollie! Le soleil brille, et il fait chaud. Un vent leger souffle de l'Atlantique*. Je suis broke grace ? la leaux value la pound contre l'Euro, merci M. Brun et votre traiteurs au pays.

Et seau on et seau on.

Hello my friends! I returnevouz from la belle France. Very nice! Tres Jollie! The sun shines, and it's hot. Light winds from the Atlantic *. I'm broke thanks to Leaux value the pound against the Euro, thank you Mr. Brown and caterers in your country.

And one bucket and one bucket.

I think some of it is a combination of James (the last sentence certainly is) and what Almighty Google gave him.

Methinks a more accurate translation would be something like this...

Hello, my friends! I've returned from the beautiful France. Very nice! Very pretty! The sun is shining and it's hot. A light wind is coming from the Atlantic. I'm broke, thanks to the low value of the Pound against the Euro -- thank you, Mr. Brown and the traitors in your country.

And so on and so on.

(Three years of high school French finally paying off. Woo!)

Last edited:
traiteurs = caterers? Errrrr... dunno about that. On the other hand, it could go either way. (Traitor, as in betraying the country as a whole; caterer, for catering to the one-eyed one's whims.)

Just checked my dictionary - traiteurs = caterers. Traitors = traitres (with a little accent thing over the i).

He did refer to the price of oysters..

Hate people who have to prove themselves right, don't you?

Just checked my dictionary - traiteurs = caterers. Traitors = traitres (with a little accent thing over the i).

He did refer to the price of oysters..

Hate people who have to prove themselves right, don't you?

And James May gets his French words word-for-word correct, does he? He's a columnist, for crying out loud, not a pedant. He's talking about Gordon Brown, a fall in the pound, those who caused it, and his own (comically exaggerated) bankruptcy as a result. Hate people who miss the point, don't you?

Goodness, all this fuss. To think I got pretty much the jist from my awkwardly translated Google text. I left the entirety of my French in the ballet studio so I won't even try this debate.

Digital as well now: :)

Whatever James says, wouldn't you just love a Satnav with the voices of theTG3? Just make sure that whenever James tells you to go left, to turn right. :p

?now turn left, no wait i meant right. oh cock?

Well, to be fair. I think the "et seau on et seau on" was James's invention, not Google's. :D

Multilingual pun. :D

"...and so on, and so on...." ;)

Argh, and someday I'll learn to read the entire thread first...

Last edited:
"To reach Il de Re we drove from London to Portsmouth (in the Porsche ? I lost that one)"

aww. Predicted as much, but I still wanted to hear of him and Woman in the Citroen.

Oh dear. James should probably never go on holiday in Texas. :unsure:

I was thinking alone the same lines when I read it. GOD Texas is big. But I think one of the biggest problems is, there is nothing to look at as you drive along. I was doing 90 mph across I10 fron Houston to San Antonio and the only way I could tell I was even moving at some points was watching the overheads getting closer.