James May: The weekly Telegraph column by James thread

Hey, slightly off-topic: Papers' nicknames- Torygraph=Telegraph, Daily Fail=Mail The Scum=The Sun
The Observer's about to become The Obsolete (David Mitchell tweeted it's prob closing) - What's The Guardian called? I know the readers are "Guardianistas", but the paper itself - does it have one?

The Grauniad, because the Guardian is famous - or infamous - for its misprints and typos.

Or at least it used to be in the old typesetting days - the Corrections and Clarifications section used to be hysterical reading on a daily basis.

Sadly, since everything became computerised there is much less, and tends to be factual rather than typos, misprints etc.

I'm afraid the extra mid-week column, turned out to be the one that is in this weekend's newspaper. The Torygraph put it up early, probably because it had some news value. Thus, no new column until next weekend.

Hey, slightly off-topic: Papers' nicknames- Torygraph=Telegraph, Daily Fail=Mail The Scum=The Sun
The Observer's about to become The Obsolete (David Mitchell tweeted it's prob closing) - What's The Guardian called? I know the readers are "Guardianistas", but the paper itself - does it have one?

I've only ever heard it referred to as the Grauniad..... and my uncle who is a confirmed Guardian reader refers to the Telegraph as "The Dreadnought". One day I might get around to asking him why.

The Sun is also know in rhyming slang as the Currant Bun.

Other names for papers - News of the Screws, Oh Ah Daily Star - that one may be just my office! - and recently the Dependent. (They've moved into the same buidling as the Mail and are using their "back office" departments and are rumoured to be slowly being absorbed into the Mail group))
The dreadnought is a an old Fleet Street name for the Telegraph - no idea why. The Times was known as the "Thunderer" but I doubt that readers ever referred to it as that

Last edited:
Our local paper in Newcastle is called the 'Ronnie Gill' because that's what 'Chronicle' sounds like when shouted by those blokes who sell it in the street.

The Grauniad, because the Guardian is famous - or infamous - for its misprints and typos.

Or at least it used to be in the old typesetting days - the Corrections and Clarifications section used to be hysterical reading on a daily basis.

Sadly, since everything became computerised there is much less, and tends to be factual rather than typos, misprints etc.

I've only ever heard it referred to as the Grauniad..... and my uncle who is a confirmed Guardian reader refers to the Telegraph as "The Dreadnought". One day I might get around to asking him why.

The Sun is also know in rhyming slang as the Currant Bun.

Other names for papers - News of the Screws, Oh Ah Daily Star - that one may be just my office! - and recently the Dependent. (They've moved into the same buidling as the Mail and are using their "back office" departments and are rumorued to be slowly being absorbed into the Mail group))
The dreadnought is a an old Fleet Street name for the Telegraph - no idea why. The Times was known as the "Thunderer" but I doubt that readers ever referred to it as that

Our local paper in Newcastle is called the 'Ronnie Gill' because that's what 'Chronicle' sounds like when shouted by those blokes who sell it in the street.

Thanks guys! :D

MWF: I wonder if calling it the "Dreadnought" is somehow connected to the Telegraph interview Kaiser Wilhelm gave that fuelled English-German animosity just before WWI, about the time that the Dreadnought was launched?
I know one of the Pankhursts launched a newspaper called the women's Dreadnought, but that would have been VERY left-wing & therefore unlikely to be associated with the Torygraph!

And to think here we just call our newspapers by whatever name's on top. We don't have nearly the newspaper drama that you have in the UK. It's like a soap opera really.

In my country everybody trust in the newspapers, even when is clear that they?re distorting the facts according to the interests of the newspaper?s owner

I'm afraid the extra mid-week column, turned out to be the one that is in this weekend's newspaper. The Torygraph put it up early, probably because it had some news value. Thus, no new column until next weekend.
:(

*waits patiently*

Until the Torygraph people get on to it, here's a scan made by the lovely DutchDiva. :)

dailytelegraph6september2009.jpg

http://img530.imageshack.**/img530/6054/e2flowers.gif

It's good to see at least one of them analyzing humor. This leaves me hopeful that there will not be a repeat of the catastrophe that was the end of the teen car challenge in 13x02 (teen cars around the test track).