Clarkson: The Weekly Times Comment Column by Jeremy Thread

Does anyone understand the comment about Greg Lake? I really like that song and now I'm a bit worried...

I get really annoyed at the Christmas music being played in the stores and radio. Its not that I don't like some of the music, but I can only listen to Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire so many times. I know its Christmas and everyone is feeling jolly, but is it really necessary to play the same stuff every single day. Its stuff like this that makes me want to watch the horror movies in my collection. Its really sad considering that for the most part Christmas is a nice time in the year.

I feel sorry for the shop assistances who have to work in a shop that is playing Christmas songs all day.

Speaking as a former shop assistant who did three Christmas seasons in retail, ME TOO. That, combined with the hordes of shoppers whose intelligence could be charitably described as "sub-par" and who are extremely rude, is enough to make a girl homicidal.

Speaking as a former shop assistant who did three Christmas seasons in retail, ME TOO. That, combined with the hordes of shoppers whose intelligence could be charitably described as "sub-par" and who are extremely rude, is enough to make a girl homicidal.

Try being a waitress in this season. You have to provide for all the drunken parties that come in, my best friend also works in a dance themed bar so she has to dance to jingle bell rock every time someone orders something off their christmas menu.

I feel sorry for the shop assistances who have to work in a shop that is playing Christmas songs all day.

I worked in retail for 5 years. FIVE years!

*shudders* The main reason I refuse to step foot into ANY store on "Black Friday".

We were instructed to have Christmas music on ever radio and Home Theater system unless the customer changed it. To get people 'in the shopping' mood.

*still has nightmares of Black Friday customers*

Last edited:
A bit, yeah. Mainly "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town", Bruce-style, for extra zing. :D

If you guys want a proper Christmas song........

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01hpEpoYLw[/YOUTUBE]

Try being a waitress in this season. You have to provide for all the drunken parties that come in, my best friend also works in a dance themed bar so she has to dance to jingle bell rock every time someone orders something off their christmas menu.

*shudder*

I would like to amend my original post and state that anyone who has to deal with the general public at this time of year is entitled to sympathy, all the adult beverages s/he needs, and also one get-out-of-jail-free going postal incident.

My sisters and brothers in retail misery and I came up with a plan: when we rule the world, we're going to require everyone to work at least two Christmases in either retail or food service. Guaranteed to make everyone nicer and the world a more pleasant place in general.

*shudder*

I would like to amend my original post and state that anyone who has to deal with the general public at this time of year is entitled to sympathy, all the adult beverages s/he needs, and also one get-out-of-jail-free going postal incident.

My sisters and brothers in retail misery and I came up with a plan: when we rule the world, we're going to require everyone to work at least two Christmases in either retail or food service. Guaranteed to make everyone nicer and the world a more pleasant place in general.

Or for that matter on halloween. I've worked in a supermarket and had to ID people buying eggs and also this year in the in food service you have to deal with all those familys that the parents dragged thier kids out to try and stop them celebrating and having fun. The uber conservative religious ones normally but occasionally anti commerciallism- I mean fine If you want to come out that's no problem and if you want to stop your kids celebrating or avoid it thats your choice but seriously can you respect the fact your in a public place? They argue all night and somehow it becomes your fault when the cheeky neighbour kid wanders on into the place to trick or treat in the resturant. I'm nice so normally I give them one of the lollys we give to customers or sweets or something we keep on the counter becasue there aren't very many of them and I admire thier pluck :p but of course the conservative religious family doesn't see it that way and doesn't leave a tip.
:wall: I hate working in holidays, thankfully I have this Christmas off! :D

Mad props to anyone who works retail during the holidays. I paid my dues in college so I can earnestly say I feel your pain.

But getting back to Jezza, I agree with him on Greg Lake, Chris Rea and the Pogues (*love* Fairy Tale of New York. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. It's one of my favorite unChristmassy Christmas songs ever), but surprised The Waitresses "Christmas Wrapping" didn't at least get honourable mention.

Those of you of a certain generation will no doubt remember it, but for those who don't, here it is. It's a great tune and I highly recommend it ...

[YOUTUBE]UUOxmXPo69w[/YOUTUBE]

Or for that matter on halloween. :D

I worked in a seasonal Halloween store for a couple of seasons. Loved it because, well, the merchandise was cool and we had loads of fun playing with it during slow periods. But hated the customers who got mad if we were out of whatever they wanted to be, because of course it was our fault if they were too uncreative to come up with something other than what 65% of America wanted to be. Hated the ones who came in looking for a costume two days before. And definitely hated the occasional Christian conservative who'd wander in with dirty looks, explanatory pamphlets, and a mission to convert the heathens. :rolleyes:

[cut] . . .surprised The Waitresses "Christmas Wrapping" didn't at least get honourable mention.

Those of you of a certain generation will no doubt remember it, but for those who don't, here it is. It's a great tune and I highly recommend it ...

I have this stuck in my head for weeks every winter! Love this song, sad to see it go unmentioned. *wanders off, singing*

Last edited:
This week: So, Piggy, Buttocks and Rat -- what shall we call Gordon?

Lord Clarkson of Oversteer said:
It was a different story when I was at school. The housemaster was Buttocks, James Smith ? a white boy from Trinidad ? was Chicken George, the man who taught English was Rat, the clumsiest boy in school was Spanner, my history teacher was Piggy and I was Ness. I like to think this is because I was long and thin but I suspect it?s because I looked like a monster.

Ok I'm getting 404s on both Jeremy's columns this week. What gives? I've tried several paths in over 2 days.

Edit: That's weird. The one thing I didn't try was another browser. Access is fine in Firefox (errors = Opera). If you're having trouble, try that.

Last edited:
So... anyone got a nickname in school? Mine was "Flieger", meaning "aviator" in English. Probably because I used to draw airplanes when I was bored through periods (which was most of the time).