Unverified Ownership The Whambulance

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Subarus and shit
What:
1991 International 4900 4x2 Chassis cab with an ambulance body by <somebody>.
Date of Manufacture: 4/1990. Those model years sure do come early.
Navistar DT466 mechanically injected 7.6L I6 diesel. 165 horsepower edition (the lowest for roadgoing applications).
198000ish miles. At least the second engine (it has a rebuild plate on it)
7800ish hours (no idea if that was reset with the engine...)
24000ish GVWR
13000ish curb weight
4 wheel hydraulic disk brakes
Hydroboost power brakes with an ELECTRIC backup when the engine isn't running or there's no power steering pressure (whaaaaaaaaat)
200A alternator
20A AC shore power (to AC bus and to DC bus via battery charger)

Why:
Because I'm an idiot

Where: Hell.

Known defects:
Inverters were removed, so the DC bus cannot power the AC bus.
The overpressure runoff hose from the radiator cap dry rotted off and points directly at the air intake. Need to stick a peice of hose on there and point it somewhere else.
The spin-on diesel filters are rusty AF, gonna replace those because they get holed
The tires are positively and completely shot.
The air suspension leaks because the airbags are perished. With the engine running, it keeps up, though
The hydralic brake line to the rear axle exploded during the drive home and dumps the ENTIRE quart of fluid out of the reservoir in 1 stop. The fronts hold fluid, elsewise I'd be dead now.
There are holes in the rear of the box from the removal of equipment
There is water ingress to the ceiling of the box from fuck knows where but I'll bet it's an antenna hole.
Quasi-illegal paint scheme.
Gas pedal is incredibly stiff. Probably needs lubrication.
Dogshit slow. Geared for 55mph max
Difficult to get the transmission to be in the gear you want (this may be down to the stiff throttle linkage though)
Headlight buckets are rusted RIGHT out. Whatever. They're standard sealed beam shit.

Todo in the event that all defects are fixed:
RV retrofit interior.

The deadline: Last week of January 2020

The glory:

Last edited:
(the boards and ramps are to prevent it from sinking into the ground)

Good to see your indulgence for self inflicted pain continues.

Quasi-illegal paint scheme.

Why is the paint illegal in any way?

I am equal parts terrified, intrigued, disgusted and feeling sorry for you.
Congrats?

1. Insanity is relative, depending on how much you actually handed over for the damned thing.
  2. What are you actually planning to do with it if you can get it into a semi decent running condition and watertight? (I'm presuming some kind of RV or Zombie Apocalypse Bug Out Vehicle).

All I can think of when I see ambulances now is Letterkenny.

Video is a hyperlink because it shows a bare human backside. Also, INCREDIBLY NSFW language; wear headphones.

https://youtu.be/mMHTbWwqU7A?t=13

Meanwhile, can't wait to see this turn into an RV.

Good to see your indulgence for self inflicted pain continues.

Why is the paint illegal in any way?
The paint fade is so bad the official markings are more legible than they are on most "marked" ghost police cars. It's questionable enough that I don't feel like getting shot by random podunk power mad idiots.

1. Insanity is relative, depending on how much you actually handed over for the damned thing.
  2. What are you actually planning to do with it if you can get it into a semi decent running condition and watertight? (I'm presuming some kind of RV or Zombie Apocalypse Bug Out Vehicle).
  1. $1000. First offer and he took it no question, so I overpaid.
  2. RV for 1-2 humans is about as far as the plan goes atm.

Oh, uh, all those siren horns? That shit is present and wired. I would have worked this out though a complex trial and error process but my drunk idiot friends got in it and flipped random switches, and upon discovering "nothing worked" left them right where they were. And then I got in, turned the key and it was like a sonic bomb went off.

Police vehicle decommissioning: SMASH EVERYTHING WITH HAMMERS AND PAINT OVER THE DECALS

Ambulance decommissioning: Peel the decals off, leave the rest (previous owner got it with the light bars and only removed them after nearly being shot by podunk idiots. I have the light bars...