The "What the Bloody Fuckintosh?" Thread

I've generally found all "life hacks" to be either well-known, unnecessary or stupid.

Sex toy company admits to recording users' remote sex sessions, calls it a 'minor bug'

I have some news: the Internet of Things is a mess. A hacked refrigerator sounds slightly scary, but a vibrator-controlling app that records all your sex sounds and stores them on your phone without your knowledge? That's way worse.

Today, a Reddit user pointed out that Hong Kong-based sex toy company Lovense's remote control vibrator app (Lovense Remote) recorded a use session without their knowledge. An audio file lasting six minutes was stored in the app's local folder. The users says he or she gave the app access to the mic and camera but only to use with the in-app chat function and to send voice clips on command ? not constant recording when in use. Other users confirmed this app behavior, too.

A user claiming to represent Lovense responded and called this recording a "minor bug" that only affects Android users. Lovense also says no information or data was sent to the company's servers, and that this audio file exists only temporarily. An update issued today should fix the bug. We've reached out to Lovense to verify this comment and will update when we hear back.

This isn't Lovense's first security flub. Earlier this year, a butt plug made by the company ? the Hush ? was also found to be hackable. In the butt plug's case, the vulnerability had to do with Bluetooth, as opposed to the company spying on users. In a separate case unrelated to the Lovense, a company called We-Vibe was sued after after its Bluetooth-enabled vibrators allegedly collected and recorded users' personal information. The company ended up settling the class-action suit for $3.75 million. Then,

All of this is to say that if you're going to purchase connected sex toys, do your research. Trust in the toys' makers is essential. Still, vulnerabilities exist in any smart device, so recognize the risks before going online.

Correction 4:26 PM ET: This article previously stated that Lovense created the We-Vibe vibrator. This was incorrect, and we regret the error.

More or less the same thing as last year's We-Vibe privacy issue...

That's why the Internet of Things sounds good, but is a pretty terrible idea if manufacturers don't think twice...

There are more consumers than manufacturers, that wider variety means that there are more numbnuts amongst the consumers than you might think. That's why the security and privacy mustn't be offloaded to the consumer, instead those considerations have to be built-in to the devices by the manufacturers.

When I see how many security products (cameras, routers and whatnot) are released with standard passwords and activated, for the consumers unnecessary services and then see how many people use them with hardly any knowledge of securing them (as in "I'll just plug it in, oh, I can access it, good") it's a bad decision to offload these things to the customers. Since there is so much more to the IoT than security cameras people spend even less time thinking about security issues of non-security devices, and that's how you get botnets.

Self-taught rocket scientist plans to launch over ghost town

?I don?t believe in science,? said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. ?I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that?s not science, that?s just a formula. There?s no difference between science and science fiction.?
Aerodynamics and fluid dynamics aren't science? Does he know that the word "science" stems from the latin word "scientia" which means "knowledge"? What does he think where that formula came from? Right, everybody knew about aerodynamics and fluid from the beginning of time... :rolleyes:

We will soon have a new posting in the Darwin thread about this guy.

Now, I know the sun is Garbage, but this nicely illustrates a more broader Problem with all the name calling going on ...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5732932/snowflake-students-dub-frakenstein-misunderstood-victim/
SNOWFLAKE students claim Frankenstein’s monster was a misunderstood victim with feelings.

A professor has even suggested the lab-created murderer could be protected by human rights laws.English author Mary Shelley's classic novel Frankenstein has terrified millions since it was first published in 1818.

In it, scientist Victor Frankenstein’s monster gets snubbed by society and then murders his creator’s brother, pal and bride. But an academic has revealed growing support for the beast in the introduction to a 200th anniversary edition of the book.
Prof Nick Groom, of Exeter University, said: “When I teach the book now, students are very sentimental towards the being. But he is a mass murderer.”
He then asked: “If he’s not human, but he is intelligent and sentient, does he have rights?”
Mary Shelley expert Professor David Punter, of Bristol University, said: “It’s a familiar story isn’t it, someone with a terrible upbringing going on to commit terrible crimes.
“The monster does deserve sympathy. “I don’t believe he would qualify as human and I’m not sure he would qualify under any kind of animal rights regulations either. I think the poor chap would rather fall in between two stools.”

Would I have thouhgt taht someone working at the sun had actually read and understood Frankenstein? No. But I would not expected them then to go out and belittle people that did ...

Clearly, it's California itself that causes cancer.

Most definitely. It's the common denominator in all these things that cause cancer.

Eh, I’ve just accepted that all things we consume contains some amount of cancer. Whether it’s for population control or “oops, we didn’t know,” I don’t know and haven’t really bothered to check.

I just find it staggering, given that the second biggest cause of cancers in general after smoking is obesity, and in a country where so many people are clinically and chronically overweight, why a judge should slap a writ on coffee chains because of a suspected link to a substance that may or may not cause a marginal increase in the likelihood of developing some form of carcinoma.

Oh, that's right, because fat-shaming people is wrong, kids, m'kay?

Nations of the world, if ever Hypocrisy becomes an Olympic sport, don't bother entering a team because the the Good 'Ole US of A will open up a can of whoop-ass and take every medal going for the next two centuries.