The "Which shows do YOU consider ALMOST as awesome as Top Gear?" Thread

Nip Tuck
Entourage
Dexter

those are the best!

Star trek is great as wel, loved the latest movie!

my favourite program other than top gear is my family. insanely good show.

QI - i adore Stephen!
House - really naffed off Season 5 is on Sky. Which i don't have:mad:
Mock the Week
HIGNFY
Silent Witness
ER
Scrubs
Time Team (yes, i'm an anorak, ok?)
Spring/Autumnwatch (see above)
Anything James does, ever :D
Anything Stephen does, ever "
Old stuff i will rewatch:
Buffy
Red Dwarf
Jeeves & Wooster (Stephen AND Hugh, what's not to like?)
A Bit of Fry & Laurie (ditto)

Mythbusters
Deadliest Catch
Dirty Jobs
Hell's Kitchen
Doing Davinci
Ice Road Truckers
Heroes...

Are all set on the DVR :)

And then I watch the reruns (to me anyway) of Top Gear on BBCA when they are shown. I wonder if they'll look any better when BBCA is going HD here in a few days.

Last edited:
Hard to say because Top Gear is in some ways incomparable and in some ways not the best ever show- for example, if I want dark humour and sarcasm I wouldn't expect it from Top Gear, I would watch Blackadder or House. So I will simply list the television I enjoy most:

House
First season of Heroes
Lost
Old Brit sitcoms with Atkinson, French, Laurie, Fry or any combination of the four, such as:
Blackadder
Vicar of Dibley
Bit of Fry and Laurie etc (I own them but have temporarily forgotten their titles)

The TG presenter's individual works (James May's Big Ideas, Clarkson's Motorworld, etc)

Though I know movies don't go here there are very few that I really enjoy so I'll list them anyway:
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Pirates of the Carribean trilogy
Alien Trilogy
Godfather Trilogy

As you can see I like trilogies :)

And a couple of Anime (waits for flames):
Death Note
Wolf's Rain

Still waiting to watch Mythbusters and Lie To Me, looked promising.

EDIT: Forgot Arrested Development, QI and the News Quiz (audio).

Last edited:
TV shows:
- House
- How I Met Your Mother
- Ashes to Ashes (obviously Life on Mars too)
- Pretty much anything with James May in it, esp. Oz and James :D

And, eh, I don't think these really count as shows, since they're just miniseries with a few episodes at most, but anyway:
- Band of Brothers
- Generation Kill (very much worth watching)
- Long Way Round/Down & Race to Dakar

And in a league of it's own:
The Wire

Time Team.
I used to like Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs.
Bit burned out on both now.
Modern Marvels on The History Channel.
The major networks here in the states are complete, absolute s*%t 99.99 % of the the time. Old episodes of C.S.I. Vegas are good but I watch those on Spike. Liked House but it seems to have jumped the shark already. I haven't finished watching this last season.

The cable networks aren't much better. The History Channel, A&E, TLC and Discovery are nearly unwatchable. I completely loath all the damn blue collar jobs shows that have taken over these networks. I have a blue collar job. I want tv and music to take me away from my dreary day to day life when I'm not working. :mad:
Discovery Science, National Geographic, History International are occasionally tolerable. Usually when they are showing an old program from the 90's that aired on their parent network. How The Earth Was Made and The Universe were pretty good. Strange that it took The History Channel to make 2 of the best science programs to air on U.S. t.v in the past 5 years.

I've got about 800 gigs of u.k. documentary programs that I've downloaded off Usenet and Bitttorent sitting on my hard drives right now. Ancient, Medieval , Early Modern history, History of religion, History of Art and Architecture, Archeology and Anthropology are the types of shows I live for. Not a damn bit of it on U.S. television except for the occasional butchered BBC/C4 shows that air on PBS or Digital Cable networks like Ovation & History international. I would gladly pay a license fee to the BBC for unfettered access to these shows.
I'm a big Sci Fi fan as well. I have all of Star Trek, Star Trek The Next Generation, Star Trek Deep Space Nine and Star Trek Voyager. Didn't like Enterprise. DS9 is my favorite Trek show. I also have all of Babylon 5.
Loved, loved, loved, LOVED FARSCAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't watched the Sci Fi Channel since they took it off the air. Liked Lexx as well.
I've just finished downloading all of Torchwood and Primeval which is airing in very butchered form here in the States on BBC America. Hope these shows are as good as their trailers make them seem.
I'm afraid to watch and Dr Who because if I like it, I will have terabytes of stuff to look for online and download. I'm drowning in dvds enough already.
I like some shows on PBS but I usually download those off the internet as well. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Garage - Discovery
Ashes to Ashes - BBC
Mock the Week - BBC
The Inbetweeners - E4/C4.
Wheeler Dealers - Discovery Turbo.
Scrubs - Every other channel lol.
Red Dwarf - Dave
James May things - BBC

Car shows and comedy ftw.

Last edited:
QI- One of the few shows that doesn't insult the intelligence of its viewers, and it has a ton of absolutely fantastic humor in it. Stephen Fry is a god, there are very few people for whom I have more respect than him.
How I Met Your Mother- Great characters with incredible chemistry between the cast. The writing is top notch as well.
Big Bang Theory- Almost the perfect sitcom, and I appreciate it for the same reason i do QI.

Anything the TG3 do.
QI
HIGNFY (the Brian Blessed ep is awesome)
Stargate
BSG
Firefly
Mythbusters when it's on in the UK
Mock the Week.
That's about it, and yes I am a geek.

It's sounding like I need to look into QI. It's coming up on this thread probably more than anything else.

It's sounding like I need to look into QI. It's coming up on this thread probably more than anything else.

You SO do. It's as rewatchable as Top Gear. In fact, I'm in the middle of a marathon rewatch at the moment. :)

Not sure if it's for you? Try this out:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1zuAQAhhMI[/YOUTUBE]

I love QI, but it makes me feel like such an idiot when watching it!!:):(

One of my favorite episodes was the Series E show on Eating with Johnny Vegas. He is a riot!

Oh!! Thought of some more!!

Father Ted
Black Books
South Park - Most of the time
The Simpsons - Some of the time, it's gotten pretty shit lately.
Friends - Yes, I still watch it 5 years on :)
Mock the Week - I am so going to hell for laughing at most of Frankie's jokes!!

You SO do. It's as rewatchable as Top Gear. In fact, I'm in the middle of a marathon rewatch at the moment. :)

Not sure if it's for you? Try this out:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1zuAQAhhMI[/YOUTUBE]

Ok I DO like that. It's like Jeopardy with belittling and swearing.