The "Which shows do YOU consider ALMOST as awesome as Top Gear?" Thread

Speaking of shows which may be canceled too soon, Life is amazing. I wholly encourage anyone who likes crime shows with a bit of humor added in to check it out.

Sorry, but MST3k will always be awesomer. But Top Gear is an extremely close second. :p

My husband LOVES MST3K.
I like it a bit.
I got nearly all the episodes off usenet several years ago.
We have quite a few vhs tapes and dvds as well.

Sorry, but MST3k will always be awesomer. But Top Gear is an extremely close second. :p

Have you downloaded any Rifftrax? Twilight is particularly awesome.

Have you downloaded any Rifftrax? Twilight is particularly awesome.

Only a few, but I do watch all of their complete stuff. Like the shorts.

Problem is, I can't bring myself to buy most of the movies they mock. I buy the ones I have, but I will probably never see Twilight unless someone GIVES me the movie. :lol:

At this point, I can only think of two that are at that level, and they're both epic SciFi series:

Farscape
Doctor Who

Everything else pales in comparison. Also, note that none of these shows are American. Lost could almost make it, except that half the episodes suck. If it was as good as it sometimes gets ALL THE TIME, then it could be on that list.

Edit: Oh, and Firefly, which I just noticed that someone else mentioned. If only it had gone on longer...

Problem is, I can't bring myself to buy most of the movies they mock. I buy the ones I have, but I will probably never see Twilight unless someone GIVES me the movie. :lol:

Well, there's a group that has dubbed Rifftrax over the films and you can torrent them. Not great quality, but who needs great quality when you're watching Twilight?

Or there's always Netflix.

Also, if someone gives you Twilight, shoot them. That should be a capital crime.

At this point, I can only think of two that are at that level, and they're both epic SciFi series:

Farscape
Doctor Who

Everything else pales in comparison. Also, note that none of these shows are American. Lost could almost make it, except that half the episodes suck. If it was as good as it sometimes gets ALL THE TIME, then it could be on that list.

Edit: Oh, and Firefly, which I just noticed that someone else mentioned. If only it had gone on longer...

How can you mention Farscape and not like Stargate?

Now I'm starting to think I should just move.

Lie To Me
Royal Pains (only a few episodes so far, but still good)
House
Mythbusters
Dirty Jobs
Burn Notice
Family guy :)
American Dad :)

Last edited:
Here's my shows that i currently hold in high regard.

NCIS (if Top Gear was my fave show to watch, this would come in second place).
Arrested Development (as far as comedies go, this one was way ahead of the game).
QI (Stephen Fry & Alan Davies along with occasional appearances by Rich Hall, Bill Bailey and Jezza himself, how can anyone not like it?)
The West Wing (my FG tag surname should be a good give-away on this one, i really enjoyed the show and it taught me a lot about how the American Political system works).
Yes Minster, Yes Prime Minister (if The West Wing says a lot about the American System, this series does the same for the British system. It might be a comedy and its age shows but its still one of our best shows made.)
24 (three words only, Jack Bauer rules)
Battlestar Galactica (only rarely does a show break from its original format and become its own. This dealt with so many issues despite being a sci-fi show and even despite the controversy about the final episode it was still one of the best Sci-Fi shows made.)
Firefly (Buffy was great, Angel was ok but this was the show that really made me a fan of Joss Whedon. The Combination of Western and Sci-Fi had never occured before and it's such a shame it was never given the chance to live to its potential)
South Park (Whereas some shows i lose interest in after their fourth or fifth series, Scrubs, Friends, The Simpsons and Family Guy. This show seemed to hit its stride in its fifth season and i still enjoy it. I really enjoy how Trey Parker and Matt Stone point out the flaws and Eric Cartman is probably one of the most evil and imaginative characters i've seen in a cartoon).
Finally i'd like to add a Anime show, Cowboy BeBop (This show is a prime example of Anime at its best. Music, Story, Animation and character building that really works. This is always the show i use to introduce others to Anime).

How can you mention Farscape and not like Stargate?

I like Stargate. It's just not my favorite. But I really only like SG1 and not Atlantis so much.

I'm really not adding anything new here, but:

Stargate, etc., not going to list ALL of the sci-fi shows
Doctor Who
Scrubs
CSI: Miami & NY
Chuck
Big Bang Theory
Dirty Jobs

There's a lot more, but it's hard remembering all these things.

EDIT: v Thanks sky for Two and a Half Men, forgot about that one.

Last edited:
I am not much of a tv watcher.

Nothing currently on even touches Top Gear but there are a couple of things I like to watch.

Better off Ted
Did like Myth Busters but I think it has jumped the shark
Ice Road Truckers
Used to like deadliest catch, but nothing new ever seems to happen now.
I like the helicopter logging thing
Two and a half men. I love Charlie Sheen and will watch anything he is in
Same with James. Always seem to enjoy anything he has done

I watch some news programs

Qi I really like
The Office - Uk and US

I am going to check out some of the things I have seen on this thread. We all seem to have a lot in common in our television viewing. I am esp going to check out Torchwood.

Entourage ftw.

The Stargate series is pretty good, IMO, but not consistently, which is why it's not on my list.

Farscape, like Top Gear, was always promising even early on, and just got better over time. And Doctor Who is nearly always magnificent, except maybe with the 6th and 7th doctors.