The "Which shows do YOU consider ALMOST as awesome as Top Gear?" Thread

I have quite a few other shows that I watch, but I still like Top Gear the best.

So In no particular order my other favorite shows:

Doctor Who
Torchwood
Lie to Me
Bones
NCIS
CSI
Life (sadly still not picked up for a new season yet :cry:)
Chuck
Mythbusters
The Soup
The Dish

Almost as good as Top Gear? Tough call.
Visually, watching DS9 i fell in love with the works of Jonathan West, ASC. So, if he's at the helm, it will look great.

In terms of overall entertainment/rewatchability value, it's a tough call:
-The X-Files. I watched the Pilot the other day and was just amazed how brilliant it holds up after almost 20 years.
-Star Trek: Deep Space Nine from mid-second season to the end. They learned all the lessons they could from Babylon 5 and produced the second-best sci-fi series ever.
-Firefly. Never lived to see a second season, but it definitely is one of the, if not the best TV series ever. Or at least, it could have been.
-NCIS starting from season three.
and, of course: Der Kommissar. Still the best crime/police procedural ever.
-Die Zwei (german dub of "The Persuaders!", see below).

I suspect the british "Life On Mars" will join this ranks soon, but as i've only watched two episodes so far, it's too early to tell.

Not necessarily, The Office is a huge hit for example. But anytime you try to copy a show from someone else it loses something in translation.
There is at least one example of a show actually gaining from dubbing: The Persuaders!. Some non-wiki sources even claim that Rainer Brandt, the author of the german dubbing, was already hired as the head writer for a planned second season when Roger Moore landed the role of James Bond and the series thus ended. The series features some great cars, too, so you should watch it.

Last edited:
Most good shows have ended and aren't on anymore or they've gone bad and aren't worth watching anymore.

The Wire.
The Sopranos (but only the first three seasons)
The Simpsons (but only the first 9 or so seasons)
John Adams (but that was more of a mini-series)
Father Ted
Blackadder
The Office
Futurama (but that was very hit-and-miss)
I used to like Top Gear but it hasn't been good in a very long time.
Kitchen Nightmares.
Life On Mars.

I still watch Family Guy, American Dad and King Of The Hill but they're not really very good anymore.

Of the shows that are still being made and made well:

Antiques Roadshow.
Grand Designs.
SBS World News.

It's only those three, really. I don't watch much TV...

I watched House but it got repetitive and stupid.
I watched The Mentalist for a while but now it's all about that jock-looking-dude and 'will he or wont he' hook up with Van Pelt.:rolleyes:
MythBusters was good but it's so bad now... I stopped watching it when I realised that they actually make it bad on purpose.

There is at least one example of a show actually gaining from dubbing: The Persuaders!. Some non-wiki sources even claim that Rainer Brandt, the author of the german dubbing, was already hired as the head writer for a planned second season when Roger Moore landed the role of James Bond and the series thus ended. The series features some great cars, too, so you should watch it.

oh yes, oh yes, oh yes! i never even bothered to watch that in english, because i don't think it'd be funny that way. definitely a great show!

I don't know what's wrong with the Simpsons for people to say "up to season9", I still like the new seasons. I also liked futurama, even more than the simpsons. it's a shame they're only doing "movies" of that now.

apart from that i'm not too much into tv-shows, from then on it's movies for me! (does anyone like the old pink panthers with peter sellers?)

LOST
South Park
The Office

That's pretty much it for me.

Add the first season of Twin Peaks to my list. Without that (and without the second season sucking so bad) the X-Files would not have been possible, so in a way, it's already on the list.

[YOUTUBE]C9kejvxRokg[/YOUTUBE]

Generally I don't really watch a lot of TV. However, I still have my favorites. I generally don't seem to care for live-action sitcoms. If I watch any shows, they are usually animated shows aimed more toward mature audiences.

Futurama
South Park
Family Guy
etc.

Never got DS9 tbh. TNG and Voyager were more my thing. The former mainly because Picard was brilliantly cast and written and the latter for the EMH's camp humour and Janeway (pukka MILF) and Seven of 9 (need I say more?)

On a totally different tack, my favourite drama dates from 1985 on good old BBC1 - "Edge of Darkness". Would love to know if anyone else here remembers it and loved it as much as I did.

PS Thanks to all who have responded to this thread - I wan't sure if people might find it a bit lame but I was amazed at the response when I woke up today!

Other shows I watch in addition to TG:

UK shows:

Spooks
New Tricks (I hadn't seen this one listed yet and I think it's a riot.)
Torchwood
FG

US shows:

Weeds
Californication
Life (r.i.p....cancelled too soon. Put Sarah Shahi behind the wheel of the r.p.c....other than dealing with a new baby I hear she might have a little extra time :woot:)

AUS shows:

TGA

DS9 - because Odo and Kira broke my heart. BSG - because it said more about the human condition than a hundred pretentious "serious" dramas.

Supernatural and Nip/Tuck and Angel (mm, Spike) - I bow to no one in my love for Jeremy, James and Richard but sometimes I just want to lust after amazingly hot men with homo-erotic relationships (wait, maybe I'm back to Top Gear after all)

American drama series are much better than British ones in my book, with a few exceptions - loved Life on Mars and Torchwood (they killed ** 2 nights ago, the bastards)

Mineworksfine- I remember Edge of Darkness too - one of the greats.

Never got DS9 tbh. TNG and Voyager were more my thing. The former mainly because Picard was brilliantly cast and written and the latter for the EMH's camp humour and Janeway (pukka MILF) and Seven of 9 (need I say more?)

Loved TNG back in the day. (IMO, Picard was, is, and always will be the best Captain of the Enterprise.)

Some more additions to my list (now that I've thought of 'em)...

* 'Allo, 'Allo (favourite BritCom of all time)
* Fawlty Towers
* Blackadder
* This Is Wonderland (Canadian drama, lasted just three seasons...brilliant stuff, IMO)
* The Border (also Canadian...waiting to see when S3 will start)
* The (New) Red Green Show ("If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.")

There have been things I liked about all the Trek series except really Enterprise. TNG was brilliant in its own right, mostly thanks to Picard/Stewart but Data was a great character (my personal favorite) as was Worf. As for DS9, I too was broke hearted by Odo's broken heart. I was absolutely nuts about the Garek story arc and the Ferengi amused me to no end. The biggest part of DS9 was that, as someone else mentioned, they did take a lesson from Babylon 5. It was the first Trek series to really work with on going story arcs. This was continued into Voyager as well. Probably the thing Trek did even better than B5 was keeping episodes stand alone and yet still working within the arc. You could walk into an episode of B5 and be utterly lost but not so with DS9.