The "Which shows do YOU consider ALMOST as awesome as Top Gear?" Thread

DS9 rocks:cool:

Another DS9 fan here.

I like it too, just most people I know wouldn't admit it. :p

Never got DS9 tbh. TNG and Voyager were more my thing. The former mainly because Picard was brilliantly cast and written and the latter for the EMH's camp humour and Janeway (pukka MILF) and Seven of 9 (need I say more?)

Ah, Voyager. I didn't like the doctor at first, but after awhile he grew on me and ended up as one of my favorites. Then there was Tom Paris, who I hoped would become a redshirt and die on the next planet they went to, but he too grew on me.

Never got DS9 tbh. TNG and Voyager were more my thing. The former mainly because Picard was brilliantly cast and written and the latter for the EMH's camp humour and Janeway (pukka MILF) and Seven of 9 (need I say more?)

On a totally different tack, my favourite drama dates from 1985 on good old BBC1 - "Edge of Darkness". Would love to know if anyone else here remembers it and loved it as much as I did.

PS Thanks to all who have responded to this thread - I wasn't sure if people might find it a bit lame but I was amazed at the response when I woke up today!
Thought Voyager had the best start of any of the ST shows hated the doc at first but became my fav charter but the writing just got worst and worst and in the last season it was if they had just given up. But then was it a 7of9 thing for you?
racingfan1 the internet is full of trekers.

Last edited:
I know, it just seems like most of them think everything about DS9 is below their contempt, except for the Dominion War. :?

Maybe it's just the ones I talk to/hang out with.

It was, for quite a time, very popular to hate DS9 because a) it wasn't on a spaceship called Enterprise and b) they didn't go anywhere. People who got hung up on that in the first season often never got past it to realize what an amazing show it truly was. There were also issues of it being a new and still awkward new show while TNG was finishing it's highly polished final seasons.

As you can see, the smart people (the types who like Top Gear, clearly) were big fans. :-D

It was, for quite a time, very popular to hate DS9 because a) it wasn't on a spaceship called Enterprise and b) they didn't go anywhere. People who got hung up on that in the first season often never got past it to realize what an amazing show it truly was. There were also issues of it being a new and still awkward new show while TNG was finishing it's highly polished final seasons.

As you can see, the smart people (the types who like Top Gear, clearly) were big fans. :-D

Ah, got it. I didn't mind that it wasn't on a version of Enterprise, and I didn't start watching it until after TNG was over anyway.

Hmmm.

Life on Mars
Ashes to Ashes
The Chaser (any of their shows)
Breaking Bad
Dexter
30 Rock
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Look Around You
Dilbert

That's about all I can think of at the moment...

At the moment for me it has to be House.

Would be great if they could get Hugh Laurie on in the SIARPC segment

:+1: Reckon Hugh Laurie would be a good one. He's a petrolhead on the quiet and rides bikes too so plenty of chances for Jezza to take the piss.

Among all the DS9 talk, am I the only one who would pick Babylon 5 as on of his/her favourites? (Forgot to do so in my first post in this thread.)

Among all the DS9 talk, am I the only one who would pick Babylon 5 as on of his/her favourites? (Forgot to do so in my first post in this thread.)

There have been a few B5 mentions on this thread. I've always considered B5 superior to pretty much any other sci-fi show although these days Torchwood is a close second. If I ever have money I'm absolutely buying all 5 seasons on DVD. It's just been a surprisingly long time since it finished airing.

It's just been a surprisingly long time since it finished airing.

My brother bought them some time ago, and after that I went through all seasons in a sort of continous-marathon watching whenever I had time, and I was seriously surprised how good the CGI stuff was, considering the age and fact that it's a TV show (well, in the later seasons at least, there is a considerable difference between season 1 and 2). :blink: :D
And it pulls off the 'epicness' of the overall story very well without drifting into the cheesyness of some other shows.

Last edited:
My brother bought them some time ago, and after that I went through all seasons in a sort of continous-marathon watching whenever I had time, and I was seriously surprised how good the CGI stuff was, considering the age and fact that it's a TV show (well, in the later seasons at least, there is a considerable difference between season 1 and 2). :blink: :D
And it pulls off the 'epicness' of the overall story very well without drifting into the cheesyness of some other shows.

I couldn't agree more. I got some of the movies and also the Rangers series from Netflix a while back and was surprised how little it had aged. They worked really, really hard on the CGI at the time. I want to say the whole thing was shot on film. It was a truly great show. Too bad there won't be any more. JMS has said for certain no more B5 "as long as they (cast members) insist on staying dead" and he doesn't appear interested in writing anything new for TV.

UK show not mentioned before - Green Wing - it rocks, but you may need to be British to understand some of it as it is about the NHS - well in parts.

A bit off-topic, but I have to say, racingfan1, I'm digging your ME2 icon. I can't wait for that game! :)

I like B5, as I'll watch and be biased towards any sci-fi shows, but I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites.

A bit off-topic, but I have to say, racingfan1, I'm digging your ME2 icon. I can't wait for that game! :)

:lol: I love the first game, and absolutely cannot wait for the second. I'd still have Marvin, but I stumbled across this and couldn't resist. :D

There have been a few B5 mentions on this thread. I've always considered B5 superior to pretty much any other sci-fi show although these days Torchwood is a close second. If I ever have money I'm absolutely buying all 5 seasons on DVD. It's just been a surprisingly long time since it finished airing.

The price on the season box sets is down to $27 each on Amazon.
They were $47 when I bought them.

The price on the season box sets is down to $27 each on Amazon.
They were $47 when I bought them.

Oh wow, that is very tempting. The 5 season set is only $120. I know I need to save that money for things like groceries and pet food, but let me just say DO WANT.

Glad to see all the Babylon 5 mentions. Babylon 5 is a prime example of excellent story telling. As far as i know, for its time, B5 was doing the whole Story Arc stuff long before other shows were. The concept of events in one episode having consequences in the next or in later episodes was something i loved about the show and on top of all that it had a excellent storyline.
I really do wish that much like Firefly, Crusade had been given a chance to find its feet and so on. There's so many plotlines left dangling in the B5 universe from the 2 spin-offs that i wish JMS would get to work on resolving them, as comics, dvd movies, novels or whatever. Just to bring some sense of closure to the B5 universe.