The who have Top Gear insulted this week thread

Uuu if she wins...can I sue for all the Polish, German, Eastern European jokes in the past? :D

i've been re-watching the series while building websites.
what clarkson says about americans regularly is just as bad as anything said about mexicans. maybe worse.

TopGear and the boys have gotten rich and famous for saying offensive things. Karma can be a real bitch. :dunno:

No, they haven't. Top Gear and the boys have become rich and famous for producing a unique programme which brings pleasure to millions. And offensive to one person is funny to another.

This mass-hysteria is pretty tiring. You would think Mexico has bigger fish to fry than to broadcast this all over their news channels. I agree with other posters, other nations have been equally "insulted" and it produced nothing of the sort. Remember Clarkson in the first US Special... "Everyone is very fat, everyone is very rude and everyone is very stupid... its not a travel program, its the truth." Come on.

If there is anything truly damaging to come from this, it would be a possible backlash against British tourists in Mexico.

No, they haven't. Top Gear and the boys have become rich and famous for producing a unique programme which brings pleasure to millions. And offensive to one person is funny to another.

None of that contradicts what I said though. For what it's worth, I agree with you.

This mass-hysteria is pretty tiring. You would think Mexico has bigger fish to fry than to broadcast this all over their news channels. I agree with other posters, other nations have been equally "insulted" and it produced nothing of the sort. Remember Clarkson in the first US Special... "Everyone is very fat, everyone is very rude and everyone is very stupid... its not a travel program, its the truth." Come on.

If there is anything truly damaging to come from this, it would be a possible backlash against British tourists in Mexico.

Other posters are wrong. I'm sorry, but they just are. People are being blinded by their love for the show, and not looking at this objectively. I've repeated this many times now, but Hammond crossed the line when he said "I'm sorry, but just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican."

When you couple Hammond's statement to the other negative comments made about Mexicans, this paints a picture that being of Mexican/Hispanic background is a bad thing. A large number of people are failing to recognize that fact, because of their diehard fanhood for the show. If you had a Mexican friend, would you say something like that to them? If you would, what does that say about you?

Other posters are wrong. I'm sorry, but they just are. People are being blinded by their love for the show, and not looking at this objectively. I've repeated this many times now, but Hammond crossed the line when he said "I'm sorry, but just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican."

When you couple Hammond's statement to the other negative comments made about Mexicans, this paints a picture that being of Mexican/Hispanic background is a bad thing. A large number of people are failing to recognize that fact, because of their diehard fanhood for the show. If you had a Mexican friend, would you say something like that to them? If you would, what does that say about you?

I think the difference here was the "concentrated" nature of the rant in one news section out of the blue. Normally the rants are small snippets across multiple shows - a dribble of "stereotype jokes". This one was a tidal wave...hence the reaction.

If you had a Mexican friend, would you say something like that to them? If you would, what does that say about you?

No, of course I wouldn't. :sad: Just as I wouldn't tell my French friends that they're a bunch of treacherous, work-shy, land-burning peasants... What I said is, other countries have been insulted in the past.

I think the difference here was the "concentrated" nature of the rant in one news section out of the blue. Normally the rants are small snippets across multiple shows - a dribble of "stereotype jokes". This one was a tidal wave...hence the reaction.

True that, it did make it more intense.

Last edited:
I know all the people who have a blind love for TG couldn't care less and they will think (as it has been so well exposed in the recently locked tread) that Mexicans overreacted etc. etc. but apparently the UK parliament seems to think it is not at all an overreaction:

Corbyn, Jeremy
That this House condemns the ignorant, derogatory and racist remarks about Mexico made by the Top Gear presenters on 30 January 2011; notes that this level of ignorance is far below anything expected from anyone in the public eye and illustrates a serious lack of judgement by the programme makers; further notes that the programme is shown in Mexico and that the Mexican press have already taken note of these insults; also notes that the Deputy Prime Minister is due to visit Mexico in two weeks' time and such comments by the BBC are both unacceptable and untimely; and calls on the BBC to make a public apology as a matter of urgency so that there is no significant interruption to the excellent political and economic relations that the two countries currently hold.

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=42416&SESSION=905

You may want to research what a early day motion is and who the person who filed it is.

No, of course I wouldn't. :sad: Just as I wouldn't tell my French friends that they're a bunch of treacherous, work-shy, land-burning peasants... What I said is, other countries have been insulted in the past.

Please accept my apologies, I didn't mean you specifically.

That has been pretty much my point all along.

Everyone here seems to think that since they insult anyone, it is fair game. I just don't see it that way. Great Britain might have very historical and long lasting relationships with their colonies and age old enemies (like France, Germany) and allies.

I could very well say something as ignorant as that to a friend. I could say to my friend Mario who is black "All you people are good for is playing basquetball and singing rap" and he would probably laugh, then punch me and then retort with something like... "Shut up and make me a taco." And we would both laugh. But Mario is my friend of 10 years. I take care of his kid sometimes, he takes care of my daughter sometimes, etc.

Mexicans simply do not have that kind of relationship with England, the Mexico-Great Britain relationship has been one of respect for decades. Lady Di was received in Mexico like if she was Jackie O (another very revered and loved public person for Mexicans).

We simply do not make jokes about British people.

We do make jokes, and very very rude ones about Spaniards, and Argentinians. But again, we have a long history that "allows us this."

So in that context, this is why I think the line was crossed, it was un awarded by all means and only presents itself as yet another opportunity to perpetuate an age old and incorrect stereotype of a nation that is simply trying to make its little mark in the world.

Sure... they make fun of Germans all the time, but they are pretty much neighbors, and they are constantly praising their engineering talents (and rightfully so). Sometimes the entire show seems like a showcase for VW AG. Just the previous show they were selling a Skoda.

But when they "welcome" Mexico with nothing but insults... well... I think that is just beyond what could be acceptable by most measures.

That's not really what I meant. There are many many topics that they could have made banter about without making the statement "I'm sorry, but just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican."

You may have been offended had they said something other than what they did, but it would never have reached (and outraged) the large numbers of people that it did, had they not implied that being a Mexican is not acceptable.

Last edited:
That has been pretty much my point all along.

Everyone here seems to think that since they insult anyone, it is fair game. I just don't see it that way. Great Britain might have very historical and long lasting relationships with their colonies and age old enemies (like France, Germany) and allies.

I could very well say something as ignorant as that to a friend. I could say to my friend Mario who is black "All you people are good for is playing basquetball and singing rap" and he would probably laugh, then punch me and then retort with something like... "Shut up and make me a taco." And we would both laugh. But Mario is my friend of 10 years. I take care of his kid sometimes, he takes care of my daughter sometimes, etc.

Mexicans simply do not have that kind of relationship with England, the Mexico-Great Britain relationship has been one of respect for decades. Lady Di was received in Mexico like if she was Jackie O (another very revered and loved public person for Mexicans).

We simply do not make jokes about British people.

We do make jokes, and very very rude ones about Spaniards, and Argentinians. But again, we have a long history that "allows us this."

So in that context, this is why I think the line was crossed, it was un awarded by all means and only presents itself as yet another opportunity to perpetuate an age old and incorrect stereotype of a nation that is simply trying to make its little mark in the world.

Sure... they make fun of Germans all the time, but they are pretty much neighbors, and they are constantly praising their engineering talents (and rightfully so). Sometimes the entire show seems like a showcase for VW AG. Just the previous show they were selling a Skoda.

But when they "welcome" Mexico with nothing but insults... well... I think that is just beyond what could be acceptable by most measures.

I've got to tell you, this may be the best explanation of the furor so far. The UK isn't Texas (thank goodness:) ). But I can assure you that if the three had that conversation on any street corner in this state they would be either 1)attacked by the locals of any race or 2)hauled off by the local police for their own protection!

My wife and I have watched TG for years. She was truly surprised and shocked at Hammond's comments, and she's English by heritage. I too thought that if anyone was going to start the racial stereotypes it would have been Clarkson. Yes, you can trash the food. You can trash the cars. You can even trash the weight! (See Clarkson on Americans)...but Richard crossed the line and the others followed him across it.

And for those of you who say it's just a joke....well...would you tell a joke the "n" word at the end? If so, I feel for you. The point is, that words do hurt. And if you're going to use "edgy" humor you really need to be careful to know where you can go. I don't know anyone on this board on a personal basis, so I wouldn't be caught dead slapping down your heritage, not to your face, not here on the board.

Had the boys said the same...or similar...about anyone in Europe, it probably would have been fine....certainly not what we've seen here. As has been said so well before, there's a history there, a familiarity that allows such liberties to be taken. I can call my neighbor, who I've known for years, an SOB. I wouldn't do that with HIS neighbor, who I barely know.

All I know is that a 10 second acknowledgment that they went too far would be nice and would certainly restore the respect that I have for the guys and their work. Racial stereotypes are a lazy comedian's way of getting a laugh. The boys are better than that.

By the way hajj. I just checked further and this EDM is signed.

Sir Peter Bottomley
Jeremy Corbyn
John McDonell
Andrew Love
Andrew George

And Bob Russell. Does this make it official enough?

Maybe who knows, the BBC is in the end still independent and not bound by the parliament. I doubt that this will be debated in the house of commons, but I might be wrong. Some of these MP's are backbenchers, so they might also just be in for the publicity.

And I thought it was bad when celebrities in the US go political, it's worse when political figures dive into showbiz.

At least you know which politians have no sense of humor.

Well, if it goes badly, another stereotype will now be added in Britain, when it comes to Mexicans: Having no humor! :p

As a German I can only say: Welcome to the club :D

Last edited:
At least I got to rewatch that part and laugh again.