The world's next fastest supercar...testing on Top Gear's track?!

*sigh* And yet...I can't find any videos anywhere of someone actually driving upside-down in a tunnel anywhere. I understand the difficulties of paving upside down, and making something long enough that the driver can have enough time to turn upside down, and turn back down within a safe distance. It wouldn't have to be a whole track in a tube, obviously, just one section of it, with enough space behind it for the cars to get to their anti-gravity speeds...but still...

Tommy Lee Jones did it... in a Crown Vic:

http://img468.imageshack.**/img468/1219/ltd0118103ieft6.jpg

:p

Cars 40 years from now will all be Water powered 70hp plastic mobiles sadly.
Yeah, probably. Around now we were supposed to be coasting off to work in our nuclear-powered turbine Fords and Chryslers at 400mph. Look where that got us.

From looking at that video it dosen't look like that will be able to go over a speedbump. So that means that even if it does get on the show it still won't go on the power lap board.

If anyone has read the latest TG magazine issue (6th June) then they would see there is a feature on the T1. The Stig will be driving it and will set a hot lap for the powerboard as it is road legal.

You can't out run a Motorola.

no but you can sure hide from one!

The CCXR/Caparo is a interesting debate, i'd bet the Caparo wins, but the CCXR will still be hugely impressive

i really like the Caparo, it IS extreme, but it has passion and character, its not like the Ariel Atom, the Radical SR3, or any of they other super-simplistic track cars, it has meaning. Where the Ariel and the Radical look for easy speed, the Caparo looks for ultimate speed

i wouldn't be surprised if between the CCXR and the Caparo, if the CCXR is still more of a laugh, even though the Caparo will most definitely be more thrilling.

Why does everyone mention the hellcat but forget the SSC Ultimate Aero? Twin Turbo V8 with over 1100bhp top speed of 273.....

And to whoever said it could probably drive on the ceiling, The Saleen S7 can do that already, so it wouldn't be a first.

The Saleen S7 is hardly the first for it either. They've been saying that about aero designed supercars for years. Any well designed car with ground effect aerodynamics should be able to do it, given that its lightweight enough (not sure the Saleen is to be honest).

That being said, no one has tried it yet, so for all we know its complete BS. I think its definitely something that could be shown to work in a wind tunnel. Just build a rig to hold it upside down onto the ceiling of a wind tunnel, turn it on, and retract the rig and see if it sticks. Hell, you could even do it with a scaled down version, since they are exactly the same in most cases (except for size).

Even if this was shown to work, I'm not completely sure that it would work in the real world, as the transition from floor to wall to ceiling is tricky and the forces are very different, and the fact that even a small bump would probably make things go very wrong very quickly.

I don't think I have been excited to see a car as I have for this Caparo. If I were to build a car myself from scratch, that would be very similar to what I would try to make. Futuristic, Stlylish, Agressive, hugely fast and great handling make for a pretty cool and badass car. The only thing taking away from this will be the "cool wall" factor , because it will likely be so expensive and exclusive that only the immensely rich car geeks will be able to afford it. Non enthusiasts probably won't be too excited either. But for me, its definitely on my dream car list already, and all I have seen is a couple short videos and a couple pictures. Definitely the kind of car I would drop everything to follow around if I saw someone driving it on the road, which is a very short list.

JH

I think the caparo will be quicker, but the CCXR will of course be faster.. :)

framepic.php

framepic.php

I found these pictures on Car Walls. Are they on the TG test track? Looks similar, but then all airfields look the same.

Last edited:
The Saleen is not in a good Condition a german Mag claimed some months ago. It scratches the Track if you're going faster than 280km/h.

They wrote that the Saleen creates way too much Downforce for the current setup of the Suspension.

I believe that car has already made an appearance in the Top Gear studio, but not on the track.

Yes, it has.

This one that's in the new TG mag (the silver one in discussion now) is basically a new model, improved on the one seen here, that was at the British Motor Show last year.

[youtube]5I21UyKG3-s[/youtube]

Top Gear 'BBC' don't actually own the test track, i believe if i can recall it is a Lotus test track? i think........ so it would come to me as a big suprise that caparo are using the test track, because they are on the same track doesn't mean that they will feature the car on the show. as much as we would like that we can always wish :p

TopGear BBC rent the track. But it's not owned by Lotus, it was just designed by Lotus so that all the abilities of the cars would be tested (oversteer, understeer, grip limits...).

Why does everyone mention the hellcat but forget the SSC Ultimate Aero? Twin Turbo V8 with over 1100bhp top speed of 273.....

And to whoever said it could probably drive on the ceiling, The Saleen S7 can do that already, so it wouldn't be a first.

Dude! No one has done the driving upside down test, all just theoretical. F1 cars are said to be able to do it, it'd be a cool test, but its so damn dangerous and expensive.

If it's be street legal, it will be an equivalent to the Radical SR3: A Racer you can drive to the circuit with. And after racing you don't have to change the car to get home. :D

It is fully street legal.