There really IS one of everything in Dallas

Remember this?

How about a MiG-17?

Yes, it's real. The guns are missing but the avionics, ejection seat and turbine are all still there.

The story is that it was bought by the lady when she was touring Europe looking for things to sell in her antiques store. She spotted the MiG in a Norwegian museum and bought it cheap. If it?s out there much longer, the original Polish markings will probably start ?bleeding through? the silver paint and pseudo-Soviet Air Force markings.

Specifically, it's the oldest surviving example of the Polish version of the MiG-17F, called the Lim-5. Most obvious identification point is that it only had one 23mm cannon supplementing the 37mm cannon instead of two like most versions did.

Unfortunately, the lady that owns it is just going to let it rot there.

Welp, a couple years later I found myself in the same part of the Dallas Metroplex during daylight hours with no time commitments - so I dropped in on the Lim-5/MiG-17F. Pictures are of course clickable for higher resolution, etc.

IMG_0479

IMG_0500

Height comparison:

IMG_0487

IMG_0481

Wingtip was already torn up last time I was by:

IMG_0483

IMG_0485

IMG_0484

I think there's a cover panel missing from the tail.

IMG_0486

IMG_0490

Looks like some or even all of the turbine is still in it:

IMG_0519

IMG_0491

IMG_0493

It's slowly sinking into the earth.

IMG_0496

Note empty gun pods below the intake.

IMG_0497

IMG_0498

Plexiglass windscreen panels are starting to alligator/spiderweb and go:

IMG_0515

Avionics still look to be there:

IMG_0514

Ejector seat's in place too - or what's left of it is:

IMG_0502

Some vehicles nearby:

IMG_0478

One of my colleagues bought one of those for the business late last year in "barn find" condition. I think we paid about £1000 for it, and it sold in the same state at auction for over £6k.

I like classic cars, but that is one ugly-ass POS.

This has BRITISH written all over it.