Those damn super long "Random Thoughts" and "Awesome" threads

It would depend on how you searched, wether by threads or by posts. If by posts, it would probably come up with the info you need without searching twice.

Doing a search with results shown as posts isn't terribly useful as you just get tons of false positives and such. It's often why I limit my searches to thread titles only.

Why should I have to search first for threads and then within individual threads?

Do people in this forum ACTUALLY use the search? Does vB provide a stat for that?

sometimes for thread titles

but i've never managed to find anything inside a thread...

Even for thread titles the search function is not really good. For anything that's buried inside some marathon thread, it's hopeless because of countless false positives.

And yet, marathon threads capture most of the activity here. The rest goes mostly into threads with near useless titles because being witty is deemed more important than giving a good idea about the topic...

... only slightly exaggerated.

but that being said, the only reason you ever want to search a thread is if you remember someone making some statement in the past, and now you want to confront him with it..

all the other things are easier found through google or youtube...

If I search for anything in this forum, I tend to not use the built-in search function because it's crap, like in any other forum.

I do it via google: site:finalgear.com "what you were searching for" and bam, 99% you get what you wanted.

You can search within a thread as well.
But it's very hard to find where the conversation starts and where it ends. Unlike with a thread.
Also with a thread you can search using a common words and determine by thread title if the thread is the one you are looking for. With posts you always have to go through every post and it's accompanying discussion to see that.

Last edited:
I love the random threads. As other have mentioned, they have more of an ongoing discussion kind of feel to them.

There's a lot of stuff in Random Thoughts that I might not want to make a whole thread for. Shoot, when I have made threads for random topics, people are like, "what are you doing?" The megathread has its place. People just need to do a better job of discerning what goes in an ongoing chat vs. what deserves its own thing.

My balls, for example, really did need their own thread. They're so big that they outgrew all the other ones.

Okay, so dumb question: what's the distinction between "Random Threads" and "General Automotive?"

Aren't they kind of the same thing?

The damned illuminati! Thats what the distinction is ninjacoco and you know why? Because the goddamn limeys won't play ball!

And speaking of balls when you drape them in front of my eyes like that i can't look up your bum THEIR TOO BIG COCO!

Let random dogs lie

Last edited:
Okay, so dumb question: what's the distinction between "Random Threads" and "General Automotive?"

Aren't they kind of the same thing?

Yeah, not sure why we have that subforum. I guess to throw silly threads in that'll be short to avoid cluttering the main subforum? I might merge the two.

They're all pretty random, IMHO.

I vote for getting rid of the Random Threads subforum under General Automotive. Just have those threads in the main General Automotive.