Tiny cracks on tires

lv2xlr8

Car(s)
99 Mistubishi Galant
So I have a couple of issues with my tires again. I've attached pictures of both issues and hoping to get a response as I'm going on a 230 mile trip back home tomorrow.

(The white/gray stuff on the tread is rock residue, there are no scuffs or anything on the actual tread.)

The last few weeks I've noticed these tiny cracks in between the actual tread and the sidewall.
cac950166fd4.jpg

And after my drive down, I noticed this small hair line crack.

b9802924e549.jpg

The tire (drivers left) in question is a 205/55 R 16 Conitental ContiTouring that has always been kept within 1-3 PSI of its intended 32 psi (currently it is at 33.) However, the other 3 tires I have are Good Year RS-A. All other tires are in good shape and all have been kept within 1-3 psi of there intended pressure. The tires are due up for a rotation.

The Contis have almost 7500 miles and the RS-A have close to 10,000. I wasn't able to find the DOT number to see when the tires were manfuactured though.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Not an expert but I would say they are getting old and the rubber has hardened and started cracking.

Tires can get bad way before the grooves have worn out.

The sidewall chip/crack is a bit worrying. The forest of small cracks is the phenomenon known as "weather checking": http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=30

Also, if you can't easily find the date codes, chances are good that your tires date to before 2000 and therefore are at least 9 years old. They should be replaced straightaway if that is the case. More information is available here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&currentpage=30

The rest of the date code might be on the other sidewall of the tire.

So I ended up replacing the tire...but I was stuck since there was only 1 shop open. I ended up buying a Hankook Ventus K104 (only tire avail in my size.) I hadn't realized till I got home that tire is unfortunately a Summer tire and can't be used in the winter.

So I'm looking for another RS-A to just match the others since I haven't had any issues with them.

the words "can't be used in winter" are so much throughn around these days :p, i survived a winter with summer tires, glad i don't have to do that again, winter tyres are way better even on clear cold tarmac. though winter tyres in summer are a every bad idea, they tend to lose grip rapidly

Last edited:
So I ended up replacing the tire...but I was stuck since there was only 1 shop open. I ended up buying a Hankook Ventus K104 (only tire avail in my size.) I hadn't realized till I got home that tire is unfortunately a Summer tire and can't be used in the winter.

So I'm looking for another RS-A to just match the others since I haven't had any issues with them.

"Can't use summer tires in winter" pfft. The average moron manages, I'm sure a proper budget-strapped petrolhead shouldn't have any problems.

Mind you the moron that knocked out my electricity last night was probably on summer tires (and driving 70 in a 40... On an inch of snow)

I never got winter tires for the Sebring, but I don't plan to try that with the RX.

I have to say though I drove through some pretty bad storms and never felt in danger of not being able to make it. Just had to take it slow.

My old Dunlops did that. Chunks started ripping from the tread. Never buying that mmake again!

I'm debating what I should do right now. Driving in the snow is not an issue for me so either way I'll be okay. I think I may be able to break even or get close if I grab an RS-A and sell the Hankook on Craigslist or something.

So I was checking out the old tire, now that it is off the car and it says DOT 4104. So the shop I went to get the tire changed, sold me a 3.5 year old tire since I replaced it around May of 08. I have read that most tires are supposed to have the DOT logo on each sidewall but on this tire, it's only on one sidewall. He conveniently installed on the inner sidewall.

I mean, I understand that I should have checked myself but I just assumed the tire was good as it was in a good condition. I don't even know what kind of recourse I have with the shop as I can go there and complain. But in there defense, I'm coming back a 1.5 years later with a bold claim.

I guess, you live and learn.

EDIT: If anyone is local, I'd be careful when going to Ashland Tire & Auto. They have quite a high labor rate but I heard they were good for tire swaps but I guess not. It could just have been 1 rogue worker but I'd keep my eyes open if you go in there especially if you have something replaced internally where it is not as easy to spot how old it is.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of professional services

Fixed for you. It's hard to find honest knowledgeable people in any labor/service line of work.

I plan on picking up a beater car in the spring to slowly teach myself how to do my own repairs so that I don't have to throw away money or possibly get scammed by a dishonest mechanic.

Fixed for you. It's hard to find honest knowledgeable people in any labor/service line of work.

I plan on picking up a beater car in the spring to slowly teach myself how to do my own repairs so that I don't have to throw away money or possibly get scammed by a dishonest mechanic.

that is what i did, and it turned out great, i even started improveing it, and i don't have any mechanical/electrical knowledge what-so-ever. i kind of like getting my hands dirty from time to time, but be warned, it can be VERY frustrating and you can mess up badly.

and i have a mechanic i go to when all goes wrong, never had any issues with him, he is really kind of cool, he actually does minor details tightening panels / reparing plastic covers and such without paying him extra, probably because i'm a regular for some years now, and i always leave tips, over time i found out that mechanics from the authorized dealer are actually less handy but charge way more.

Last edited:
I know I'm late and all, but any cracking indicates an old tyre. And AFAIK old tyres are just as bad as worn ones.
So I'd say replace ASAP, which you've already done.

But do you now have 1 Hankook and 3 Goodyears? Isn't that illegal (over here it is anyways), because you always need identical tyres on every axle. So you can have 2 Goodyears on the front and 2 Hankooks on the rear, but not one Hankook and one Goodyear on any axle

But do you now have 1 Hankook and 3 Goodyears? Isn't that illegal (over here it is anyways), because you always need identical tyres on every axle. So you can have 2 Goodyears on the front and 2 Hankooks on the rear, but not one Hankook and one Goodyear on any axle

No, he's in America where they don't give a crap about that sort of thing. They let all kinds of asinine shit fly. Hell, he could probably pass inspection in a lot of places with his tires like that.

Hell, he could probably pass inspection in a lot of places with his tires like that.
Or you could just live in a state that doesn't have state car inspections. Lots of fun driving down the road, not knowing if that guys brakes work properly or not.

Side note: Oklahoma is the only state in the US where it is legal to drive with no hood on the car. True story.

Isn't that illegal (over here it is anyways), because you always need identical tyres on every axle.
No, he's in America where they don't give a crap about that sort of thing. They let all kinds of asinine shit fly. Hell, he could probably pass inspection in a lot of places with his tires like that.

:lol:
I was going to reply "Dude, he's in the US... I don't think they give a damn" as well.

Side note: Oklahoma is the only state in the US where it is legal to drive with no hood on the car. True story.

That's not true; in Pennsylvania it is perfectly legal to operate a vehicle without an engine cover as long as the fan is shrouded.