Tires squealing all the time

Pedrocas

9gag reposting troll
Car(s)
Citroen ZX 1.4i Tonic
My tires squeal everytime I make a turn, even at low speeds, like 10 and 20 km/h, they squeal like I'm drifting or something. The tires got the correct pressure and they're good for, at least, another 30k km, I don't drive all that much. So, what to do to stop with the squealing noise?

Well I would say check the pressure, make sure whatever gauge you use is good. Tires can get old before they are worn out, look at the thread depth on both sides, might have uneven wear.

Remove pig from inside the wheel :D

And this is bad how? :p

What brand are they? I once had old de-studded winter tires on my Bluebird, and they made the best squeal ever at only 40 km/h.

Are they Michelin XM1s? They tend to squeal a lot after a few years of usage.

But yeah the rubber is just degrading and probably due for replacement. Not uncommon.

Only way to "stop" the squealing is to get new tires, I'm afraid. I have the same problem - plenty of tread left, even wear, and correct pressures, but my tires squeal all the time, even at low speeds. Why? Because I drive like an ass and I've heatcycled them too many times to the point where the rubber has lost grip.

This started happening when I test drove a 2008 Cobalt and turned off the traction control. I just assumed crap tires to bump up economy numbers and promptly moved on to another car.

Well I would say check the pressure, make sure whatever gauge you use is good. Tires can get old before they are worn out, look at the thread depth on both sides, might have uneven wear.

Remove pig from inside the wheel :D

Pressure is okay, I've used three different gauges, thread depth is okay, I don't drive that much, so the tires are not worn off. Checked for a pig inside the wheel, found none.

And this is bad how? :p

What brand are they? I once had old de-studded winter tires on my Bluebird, and they made the best squeal ever at only 40 km/h.

Michelin something.

Are they Michelin XM1s? They tend to squeal a lot after a few years of usage.

But yeah the rubber is just degrading and probably due for replacement. Not uncommon.

The rubber is fine, plenty of thread depth and even wear.

Only way to "stop" the squealing is to get new tires, I'm afraid. I have the same problem - plenty of tread left, even wear, and correct pressures, but my tires squeal all the time, even at low speeds. Why? Because I drive like an ass and I've heatcycled them too many times to the point where the rubber has lost grip.

I bought this set of tires like 10k km ago.

This started happening when I test drove a 2008 Cobalt and turned off the traction control. I just assumed crap tires to bump up economy numbers and promptly moved on to another car.

The tires I've got on my car right now are a bit bigger than the ones before, these are 175/65 R14 and the ones before were 165/65 R14. Citroen says I've got to put 2.2 bar at the front tires and 2.1 bar at the rear tires, thought I always put another 0.1 on both. Could it be I need to put more pressure because the tires are a little bit bigger than the ones the car came out of factory?

Did you check the sidewall for an age indicator? Tires can change over time and become bad just because of age as well, not just due to wear from driving.

Also check your alignment. Wasn't this car in an accident? That can knock your alignment out.

Did you check the sidewall for an age indicator? Tires can change over time and become bad just because of age as well, not just due to wear from driving.

Didn't knew about that, will check tomorrow in the morning.

Also check your alignment. Wasn't this car in an accident? That can knock your alignment out.

The car got fixed, alignment included, then shortly after I changed the tires. The squealing started a couple of weeks ago, could it be due to hot weather? It's been goodawfully hot here in Portugal lately.

The car got fixed, alignment included, then shortly after I changed the tires. The squealing started a couple of weeks ago, could it be due to hot weather? It's been goodawfully hot here in Portugal lately.

Tyres get softer the warmer they get, so it certainly plays into it, but I'd aswell say check the alignment again and check if the bushes are all okay. Wrong alignment lets tyres squeal even at very low speeds...