To Keep Or Not To Keep - Xperia X10

Timbits93

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport line
Well I recently got the X10 [got it on Tuesday].

After having it for about a week, i'm trying to decide if i should keep the phone or return it [its under 15-days, under 30 min airtime, no damages besides to the pre-applied screen protector].

Pros
#1 - Its an Android Device, something different for a change :mrgreen:

#2 - Large Screen = good haha

#3 - Camera - 8.1MP, 10x Zoom. Its awesome!

#4 - SE custom UI looks quite good with its custom applications.

Cons [Flaws]

#1 - NO MULTI-TOUCH INPUT SCREEN!!! Not sure about Dual-Touch but NO MULTI-TOUCH!

#2 - Really due for an update. It has a snapdragon processor and it can't even take advantage of it! And there are problems that 2.1 would resolve.

#3 - Headphones, can't use any other headphones with an in-line mic on it, its the way SE wired the mic part of things...

I can technically just do that and when the iPhone comes in stock, call in and ask for another HUP [cuz it would be reset by then] for the iPhone 4.

However there are a few things pushing me back on getting the iPhone 4.

#1 - Having owned [still do] an iPod Touch, it makes the iPhone 4 less special to me. I've already experienced probably 80% of iOS due to the limitations of the 2nd generation. So really its not as special.

#2 - The Camera. 5.0MP, 5x zoom. Yeah the X10 has a 8.1MP camera with 10x zoom. However no 720P recording on the X10 till the android update.

#3 - Doesn't have the aspect ratio as on the X10 on the screen, not that it really matters but yeah haha.

Of course the iPhone 4 excels in areas too but you pretty much get my point.

So could anyone help shed some light :cry:

God no, please don't join the iPhoney horde.

What carrier are you on?

If possible, I'd try to get another Android phone, or one that is at least running 2.1 (which would solve most of your concerns). Ice will probably have more insight on this, including the original Droid, Droid Incredible, Samsung Galaxy S, or any number of the HTC devices. The Droid X is great too and it has a huge screen size which you would appreciate, but it does have a locked bootloader, which in layman terms means less modification/customization (think jailbroken iPhone) of your device if you're into that stuff.

Problem is that i'm with Rogers [Only one with the X10] and the next Android they're coming out with isn't due to September...

That would be the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. And they also only have the outdated HTC Dream+ avaliable right now...

So yeah, sure i COULD join the iPhone horde BUT its nice to try something drifferent and Android is starting to grow on me.

And SE needs to hurry up with their updates, 2.1/2.1 NOW, not Sept/Nov.

Probably gonna call up Rogers Data Support later today to inquire about the headphone problem.

Last edited:
It really sucks that the X10 is stuck at android 1.6 at the moment because it really looks like a nie a little phone :)

Android's quite good but in some aspects, it doesn't feel quite as polished as iOS. I get the feeling that they try to implement as many features as they can, regardless of whether or not it works good (I'm thinking about flash right now, which is really stinky and useless on my Nexus One...).

What sort of issues do you have with the X10?

Dunno if its limited to SE devices but only SE headphones with the in-line mic work with it. If i use iPod headphones with the in-line mic, it won't work unless i hold down the button... Normal headphones work regardless though.

Most of the issues i have are mostly to do with Android 1.6 and some common bugs the X10's software has currently.

The headphone mic situation is not only SE or Apple, it's pretty much all phones manufacturers that does that :)

Yeah sorta figured though BB headphones work with the iPod, doesn't work the other way around haha.

Offtopic but, where have you been? haven't seen you on MSN lately haha

Ah sorry, I've been avoiding quite a few people lately and MSN sort of stopped being launched on my computer :-D

2.1 is due to release by the end of Q3 which is september so you only have to wait a bit longer for 2.1

True haha, have to be patient.

Meanwhile, i'm still thinking but will probably end up keeping the X10 unless i have a last minute change of heart haha.

Anyone wanna recommend a screen protector for the X10 if i keep it? The Pre-Applied one has one annoying scratch now that is deep enough that i can see it while using it.