Top Gear America trailer

Obviously, you didn't see the show. You would have cancelled it after the first episode.

Did they ever dig up the pilot episode?

Obviously, you didn't see the show. You would have cancelled it after the first episode.

I watched both episodes on Hulu tonight after i read that article and saw the comments. I fell in love. Truly uplifting and it definitely shows just how lucky each of us is...someone's always worse off. :)

I'ts just my opinion but I think the hosts they picked are too young. I know next to nothing about any of them so maybe they deserve this gig.....but they seem to be lacking in wit and personality. Of course it was a very short trailer. Maybe I am used to watching guys my age (James, Richard) and have gotten used to a sense of humor that comes from having lived a bit. Unfortunately I didn't see anything in the trailer that would inspire me to spend an hour of my life watching. IMHO there are enough twenty-somethings high fiveing each other on tv already.

I'll try to keep an open mind and keep reading here and see what happens. Maybe it won't be as bad as it appears. I just keep remembering when Speedvision turned to Speed; IE started to suck. ("Suck" being generous.) They started shooting for a younger audience (Pinks vs Documentaries on Sterling Moss or Mike Hailwood) and I completely lost interest and subsequently cancelled my cable.

just saw the trailer and i'm a bit unsure about the US version of Top Gear, however i am willing to at least give it a shot. there is enough in there to make it at least look watchable.
problem is going into it, everyone is going to be comparing it to the original Top Gear. much like how Stargate Atlantis was compared to SG-1 and the various star trek spin-offs are all compared to each other. as long as it develops its own identity unique to the show, last thing it should be is a rip off copy of the original.

I would like to draw everyone's attention to a comedian, television show host, car nut, and all around good guy......

Mr Adam Carolla

He was slated to be our Jeremy, Foust would be our Hammond, and Eric Stromer would be our James. This was the way it was supposed to be when Adam still had his radio show in the morning with Teresa Strasser. He broke a confidentiality agreement by discussing on his radio program the pilot show that he, Tanner, and Eric had recorded. All of a sudden, the American TopGear, which was slated to be a primetime NBC show, was scrapped. Now we get Tanner, and two dudes I've never seen or heard of, and it looks even more watered down than Adam says his pilot was.

I will agree with those above me who say they are disappointed with Season 15, but not for the same reasons as you. I know a lot of it is scripted now, and I know that some of the reactions are fake. Does it make it any less fun to watch? Not to me. I am disappointed that they never mentioned once that us fat, lazy Americans are getting our own version. All I can say is that yes, the trailer does look good, and no, it doesn't put me in the mindset of Jackass, or even Nitro Circus for that matter, but it looks good enough for me to watch at least once. That being said, I want Adam and Eric.........period.

Can we ever match the BBC in lunacy? I'm betting we can....

I completely agree. The trailer looks decent but I prefer the other group of hosts. I was at the taping of the pilot with Adam Carolla and the audience got to see it all. I loved everything about it, and Adam was great and Eric/Tanner had great potential. I know Tanner is still involved, but it all seems weird and I found Adam had done a great job to not try to copy Clarkson but bring his own flavor of comedy to the show.

I will watch whatever they come up with, but I'm already a bit disappointed with the cast change. Regardless of why, I think it was a mistake. I can't believe it has been two years since my wife and I were there. I'm sad that it never made it on the air :(

I've read all your comments, and I've watched the trailer twice.

I got into Top Gear in 2008, and I watched the earliest seasons too. I've seen every one I can get my dirty little American hands on.

And I am excited for this. I don't care that it's not TG UK. I don't care that it's called TG. It looks funny. It's something I'll watch, not because there's nothing else on in the States...but because I think this is worth watching.

Don't shoot from the hip--why don't we all watch the first episode when it's on the air, and then make our decisions?

OOhh AHHHH

OOhh AHHHH

Some people just don't get it.

It's a 2:30 mock up trailer not the final version. It was just to see a closed audience reaction.:(:blowup:

From what I have seen if you extrapolate it out it should be OK.

Now lets all sit back and wait then once its aired we can make constructive criticisms eh!

I like the fact it has its own music and Top Gear log not like Aus Top Gear and I think that is one if its failings as It is trying to hard to copy the original.

I have watched all Top gear from before it was Top gear and I think it wasn't until the second last episode that TG made its best episode, and has taken years.

Now let?s put the kettle on and all have a nice cuppa tea.:hammer:

Some people just don't get it.

It's a 2:30 mock up trailer not the final version. It was just to see a closed audience reaction.:(:blowup:

From what I have seen if you extrapolate it out it should be OK.

good luck, i doubt some will listen. i think a few of us has tried to explain this point. they just dont get it.

Now lets all sit back and wait then once its aired we can make constructive criticisms eh!

I like the fact it has its own music and Top Gear log not like Aus Top Gear and I think that is one if its failings as It is trying to hard to copy the original.

I have watched all Top gear from before it was Top gear and I think it wasn't until the second last episode that TG made its best episode, and has taken years.

Now let?s put the kettle on and all have a nice cuppa tea.:hammer:

Has me worried

Has me worried

Sorry to say the trailer was pretty poor. I want this show to succeed and encourage lots of imitators and competitors. More for nut case gearheads like me to watch. That said, I hope the trailer was put together by somebody in the History Channel promo dept. and not the show producers. Surely by now they have more and better footage than the bit with the Caddy. A few questions: Why don?t we hear new Adam speak? Was the director on a coffee break when they picked the wardrobe, it looks like plaid shirts were on sale at Walmart. The Morgan footage is an obvious lift from the UK w/no US host in it. The Moonshine running bit plays to my worst fears for the show, ?let?s dumb it down so ?mericans will like it.? What makes TG good is the wit and quirks of the presenters. Tanner is a very smart and knowledgeable guy, I don?t know the others and nothing I saw to make me think this will be any more than smoking tires and goofball hoonage. The assembled TV critics, if they know the UK show at all, are aware TG is an entertainment show with 3 (or 2.5) very interesting guys who like to play with cars. Usually the trailer is better than the movie (you know, all the good bits) let?s hope this is just a fluke.

Has me worried *UPDATE

Has me worried *UPDATE

So I have a rerun of the series 5 premiere of TGUK on my DVR and it begins with a fabulous tease of highlights of the coming season. That's how you do a promo.

Just watched it again......

.....even more let down the second time around. It is corny and seems to be trying too hard. I'll still watch but the original pilot was SO much better.

I liked it.

For someone who likes old American cars it'll be fun to watch those "buy a car for.." challenges. Its also nice to see they are younger guys presenting i think top gear UK has 3 too many grumpy old gits

As far as sustainability of the series goes, Ice Road Truckers is in its 3rd season I believe. If TGA can't get better ratings than that, then we're screwed.

My goodness coming into this thread is like wading through waist deep shit... some people are sooo whiny about a TV show. FWIW, I liked the trailer and see promise in the show. The car review parts look solid (camera work looks on par with TGUK) and the challenge looked fun (the dirt jumps might have been a bit severe).

Last edited:
They all seem to have annoying voices... but unlike some people I'm not going to judge it before actually watching it.