Top Gear Australia - Hosts announced!

So does it seem like Pizzati will be fufilling the "Stig" role, or will they still use some anonymous guy(s) like the BBC version? I hope it is just him being used for the time attacks if he's up to it, it'll seem a bit tryhard if they keep the Stig concept.

Well they did call for Stig applicants when they called for host applicants, mentioning that the would keep their Stig's identity secret. That doesn't mean Pizzati won't be in the white suit though.

"He's got such bad luck that if he fell into a bucket of boobs, he'd still come up sucking his thumb.?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Exactly what happened to the whole "normal people auditioning for the hosting rolls"? Seems like all those people wasted their time and, in some cases considerable, effort in making those videos.

In general the hosts sound okay, and hopefully they won't try and make it a carbon copy of Top Gear, as that just never works. I must say they could have gotten three people you don't actually mind looking at. I don't think the ladies are going to be attracted to this one like Hammond.

?Warren Brown's on the team because we needed someone who can drive trucks, fire engines and old cars from one side of the world to the other. He's someone who knows how to set a magneto - and he's keen to see if he can get a shark to eat a car while he indulges his strange desire to be wrapped in sausages, while dressed in a rubber suit. More of that in the show!?

A car-as-shark-cage challenge?:blink:

So does it seem like Pizzati will be fufilling the "Stig" role, or will they still use some anonymous guy(s) like the BBC version? I hope it is just him being used for the time attacks if he's up to it, it'll seem a bit tryhard if they keep the Stig concept.

Interesting - and to a point I agree. A version of TG would be a bit strange with no Stig, but perhaps the concept is best left for the original version.

Exactly what happened to the whole "normal people auditioning for the hosting rolls"? Seems like all those people wasted their time and, in some cases considerable, effort in making those videos.

In general the hosts sound okay, and hopefully they won't try and make it a carbon copy of Top Gear, as that just never works. I must say they could have gotten three people you don't actually mind looking at. I don't think the ladies are going to be attracted to this one like Hammond.

You never know, these guys may have submitted videos :p

And so what if they're not exactly oil paintings - that just reassures me even more that they've been chosen for the right reasons.

Cox = Clarkson
Brown = May
Pizzati = Hammond

Before I get flamed, I'll acknowledge that Messrs Cox, Brown and Pizzati are not exactly the same as Messrs Clarkson, May and Hammond. I think it's more a case of having similar qualities to the TG 3, whilst being different enough not to be clones. My rationale behind this analysis comes from reading the bios. Look at some of the parallels:

- Cox is good with the one liners, and looks a lot older than 47 (like Clarkson).
- Brown is into weird old vehicles and seems like the most eccentric (like May).
- Pizzati is the youngest and arguably prettiest, and also has a keen interest in science (like Hammond).

Either way, I still like what I see and reckon that Freehand/SBS did well with their choices.

I'm actually excited about this TopGear. Who knows it could be brilliant!

At the moment I'm comfortable that they haven't stuffed up too badly with their choices. Will have to track down Paris to Peking and see how Brown goes. Good mix of personalities though and some interesting supporting hobbies.

I spoke with one of Morley's mates today - apparently he was offered the job but turned it down.

Small world - I was driving through the city (Sydney) on Wednesday night and thought Oh lovely, a cocktail party at the Ferrari dealers. Maybe I should gate crash :D:rolleyes: But, kept on driving to my destination only to hear on the radio that the TG Team had been announced. Wow! I was so close, I should have gate crashed as the TG announcement was, I believe, made at the afore mentioned dealership.

Catching up with posts:

I think there is room for a guest spot by a female of Sabine Schmidt calibre, not necessarily a female host.

Personally, I don't find Messrs Clarkson, Hammond or May that attractive. It's their chemistry that makes them endearing. So there is hope for our guys yet :p

Someone, Warren Brown perhaps, from the Peking to Paris Rally was supposed to speak at our rally club meeting last year but was a no show. So that's half a black mark against his name.

Yeah, I think TGA is going to work. Bring it on.

As much as I like chicks, I agree with Andy that it'd totally mess up the chemistry of the show. It's hard to hang out with the guys when there's a girl around.

I spoke with one of Morley's mates today - apparently he was offered the job but turned it down.

May be a good thing - look at Stahly, a great motoring journo, but his efforts on tv weren't up to the same standard (but then, maybe he was hamstrung by the show he was on).

You never know, these guys may have submitted videos :p

Not sure if this has been posted already, but SBS have a video with the submitted videos from the 3 hosts:

http://video.sbs.com.au/player/news/index.php?mmid=11228&chid=12&tabid=17

Oohh, I are psychic!

Based on those vids, Charlie & Warren already know what they're doing in front of a camera. Steve perhaps needs a bit of polishing, but his enthusiasm will see him through.

"GTR Fully Sick XU-1" might need some translating for the foreigners...

topgear.com said:
TG goes Down Under

Strewth, fair dinkum, shrimps and other Aussie cliches, we're off Down Under.

After months of X-Factor-style auditions - with less make-up but considerably more shouting - the presenters of Australian Top Gear have been announced.

Motorsport commentator Charlie Cox, cartoonist Warren Brown and race driver Steve Pizzati were chosen from over 4000 entrants to front the Aussie version of Everyone's Favourite Mildly Controversial Motoring Show, which will premiere on the SBS network after the Olympics this summer.

Cox (stage left) will be familiar to British audiences for his BBC commentary work on MotoGP. He won several motorsport titles in the 90s before a massive crash ended his racing career in 1995.

Brown (stage right) is a cartoonist and motoring columnist for the Daily Telegraph who admits to a passion for historic motoring. He collects 1920s fire engines and also owns a Word War II Jeep. Oh, and plays the ukelele. Warren, meet James. James, meet Warren.

Pizatti (centre) is a freelance motoring journalist and a race driver for Porsche Australia. He's also an advanced driving instructor - but don't worry, not one of those ten-to-two shuffly-steering-wheel types - as well as a photography stunt driver and a self-confessed science geek.

Congratulations, lads. We'll bring you lots more from the three presenters very soon... and, just in case you were wondering, yes: Aussie Stig is geared up and ready to go.

Two important things in there.

1. The show is scheduled to premiere after the Olympics (is this enough to get the show on the FinalGear counters viper?).

2. We do have a Stig.:D