Top Gear Australia to Channel 9

You didn't time it?

Yeah I flicked to it a few times but the wife was watching MKR and I forgot to set it to record on one of the PVR's.

I happened to flick over when they were modifying the cars and when Jeremy said "cue the music" and the A-Team music didn't play... I cringed and then turned it back to MKR. and I hate MKR!

That doesn't mean that it wasn't cut. If there were any more than 29 minutes worth of ads, then it will have been edited. The only way we can know whether or not it was cut is if somebody timed either the programme itself, or the ads.

Or by watching the show and observing that nothing was cut out compared to the bbc original.

I dunno if it's because the shitload of ads they crammed in there, but it felt like it was missing something. Looks like next week they are showing 14x01 and the Winter Olympics special as a double episode. 120 minutes running time. Hmmm :hmm:

I'll record it with EyeTv next week and do the experiment. I forgot this week.

I imagine that putting the Bolivia Special on in Adelaide only is a good way to test the ratings.

Last edited:
I imagine that putting the Bolivia Special on in Adelaide only is a good way to test the ratings.

Considering that a whopping 8,000 (!) people turned up to watch the Aussies spank the crap out of the Windies at Adelaide Oval, Nein may have made a very good call re: showing TG instead of the cricket. Granted, it was probably out of their hands anyway, but they could have just done the usual thing they do when they have to fill a programming hole quickly and served up two hours of Two And A Half Men. :barf:

Thats a very inaccurate method. Its easy not to notice something that has been removed.

Well i did watch the original 3 times, the last time i watched was only recently. Sorry my word is not good enough for you, hopefully you can find someone with no life to time the ads down to the second. If you can prove that it was edited then feel free to show me how wrong i am.

I'll record it with EyeTv next week and do the experiment. I forgot this week.

Considering that a whopping 8,000 (!) people turned up to watch the Aussies spank the crap out of the Windies at Adelaide Oval, Nein may have made a very good call re: showing TG instead of the cricket. Granted, it was probably out of their hands anyway, but they could have just done the usual thing they do when they have to fill a programming hole quickly and served up two hours of Two And A Half Men. :barf:

The Bolivian special rated with 165,000 viewers in Adelaide.

Well i did watch the original 3 times, the last time i watched was only recently. Sorry my word is not good enough for you, hopefully you can find someone with no life to time the ads down to the second. If you can prove that it was edited then feel free to show me how wrong i am.

1. I never said you were wrong. Nor did I question the integrity of your word. I simply pointed out that it is easy not to notice small changes, especially if you are familiar with what you are looking at. Anyone who has ever proofread a piece of text can tell you that.

2. Nobody needs to time the ads. Anyone who recorded it on a PVR and then went back and edited out the ads could tell us exactly how long the actual programme went for.

The specials probably aren't a good measure. SBS showed the Vietnam Special in full, as it is very difficult to cut stuff from those sort of episodes. If Nine are good they can cut out the repeat parts from the Winter Olympics special to give more time to the new ep. I just hope Nine show it in HD (was it in Adelaide?), the guides are just saying Widescreen.

As a side note, the Herald Sun's TV liftout today confirmed old episodes of TG are going to be on Go, but it also mentioned that they had the rights to the "Australian, original UK and new US version" (or words to that effect). Do Nine know something we don't?

The specials probably aren't a good measure.

Yet the new series 14 episodes will be even harder to judge. They'll be edited, but how can we tell if any more is taken out than would have been if it was on SBS?

I just hope Nine show it in HD (was it in Adelaide?), the guides are just saying Widescreen.

I assume that it would be. As long as you are watching the HD channel.

As a side note, the Herald Sun's TV liftout today confirmed old episodes of TG are going to be on Go, but it also mentioned that they had the rights to the "Australian, original UK and new US version" (or words to that effect). Do Nine know something we don't?

Is the Herald Sun a Melbourne paper? Is it generally reliable? The bit about TopGear America throws the credibility of the entire article into question.

Is the Herald Sun a Melbourne paper? Is it generally reliable? The bit about TopGear America throws the credibility of the entire article into question.

Unless the person who mentioned The History Channel was picking up Top Gear: America wasn't joking, after all...

The Hun is typical Murdoch trash, I'd take much of what it says with a large amount of salt. That said, facts occasionally end up in there.

I wonder if that's the same article that claimed that Nein paid $19 million for the rights to TGUK, TGA and the TG specials for the next 2 years?

SBS's rights seemed to be for two years, so it may just be the standard term. If it goes well on Nine the BBC might try and get some more cash out of Seven or Ten.

SBS's rights seemed to be for two years

That sounds plausible. Didn't SBS first pick up TG in late 2005-early 2006? I also have a vague recollection of rumours surfacing in late 2007-early 2008 that Nein was going to take TG from SBS. Of course, these rumours died off around the time SBS made the announcement about TGA.

So yeah ... 4 years (2 x 2) on SBS + 2 on Nein. Sounds right. If TG underperforms on Nein, or if Nein want to hand the TG rights back early, you reckon the BBC would let SBS have them for a more reasonable price?

Last edited:
That sounds plausible. Didn't SBS first pick up TG in late 2005-early 2006? I also have a vague recollection of rumours surfacing in late 2007-early 2008 that Nein was going to take TG from SBS. Of course, these rumours died off around the time SBS made the announcement about TGA.

So yeah ... 4 years (2 x 2) on SBS + 2 on Nein. Sounds right. If TG underperforms on Nein, or if Nein want to hand the TG rights back early, you reckon the BBC would let SBS have them for a more reasonable price?

Doubt it, some other station would be willing to try it because Nein wouldn't realise people weren't watching because of them.

Sad thing to remember is that Top Gear to these people is a business, the most important factor is money.

Hence what has happened, has happened.