Top Gear Australia to Channel 9

That sounds plausible. Didn't SBS first pick up TG in late 2005-early 2006? I also have a vague recollection of rumours surfacing in late 2007-early 2008 that Nein was going to take TG from SBS. Of course, these rumours died off around the time SBS made the announcement about TGA.

Yet, when SBS made the TGA announcement, they claimed that they had secured the rights to UK TopGear "for the life of the programme."

I can only assume that the BBC had some sort of exit clause built into the contract.

Interesting & disturbing article in the Daily Telegraph over the weekend:

Out of Gear

NINE was right to coo about its, well, coup, in securing the rights to Top Gear.

But ahead of the program's network debut (Tuesday, 7.30pm) come suggestions of dissatisfaction about the level of media access to the visiting hosts of the UK series, Jeremy Clarkson and James May.

Given the petrol-soaked series' alleged $19 million price tag, there were whispers that some Nine execs were disappointed with the general media silence of Clarkson (currently in the country with May fronting the program's live shows) - beyond his brief appearance on A Current Affair and some gibber about the weather at last Wednesday's "strictly no interviews" press conference.But surely Nine head honcho David Gyngell is only too aware of the anti-press barbs attached to his star signings? As the story goes, Gyngell was denied access to a recent taping of Top Gear in Britain, bounced as part of the program's blanket no-media policy.

We're told that, after bluntly pointing out his financial commitment to the program, Gyngell was eventually granted floor time by the BBC.

Warnie's a top choice

WITH Clarkson and May busy bending their collective elbow (sorry, fronting their live spectacle) last week, Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman was wheeled out to spruik the new Nine relationship and provide detail on Top Gear Australia.

In the closest thing to a confirmation of Shane Warne's role as local host, Wilman said the former Australian cricketer fitted the criteria for a focal frontman.

"He's a big name, a legend and a character. He's definitely in the frame," Wilman said.

"It's a gang going about their business and that has to work; it can't be a TV-forced gang.

"So you put Shane Warne's name in (to the mix) and see how that affects everything. This jigsaw business will go on for a while, but we need to get some shows out this year."

Although he would not be drawn into specifics on the program's budget - "I can't (detail the costs); I'd have to put that tape machine up your bottom and wriggle it about" - Wilman said he and his cronies in Britain would not have the ultimate say on who fronts the local format.

He also denied Clarkson et al were media-wary - "Jeremy doesn't have anything to say that he doesn't already say. And whatever we say or do, the [UK press] will be outraged" - while adding the trio were keen to film an Australian special.

"Australia is beckoning; we have to get out here and do something," Wilman said.

"It's perfect for those three with their bush skills and inherent survivor abilities. Not to mention their love of insects, spiders and ability to stand by one another."

I'm not surprised Clarkson is avoiding the australian media, he probably doesn't have anything pleasant to say anyway. I don't know if it's just him joking around or not but in the past he has repeatedly said that he doesn't like australia. Mind you he doesn't seem to like any countries outside of the uk. Actually he doesn't seem to like the uk much either. :hmm:

According to today's Sydney Morning Herald:

"While the fate of Top Gear Australia is uncertain ? Nine and Freehand will produce a local version, though at this point "specials" are more likely than a series ..."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertai...up-for-top-gear/2010/02/15/1266082234533.html

If Shane Warne is fronting, as news reports seem to confirm is increasingly likely, I'd be quite surprised to see any of the former hosts on the show. I think it's more a case of, Top Gear Australia (as we knew it) RIP.

The only good news gleaned from any of those articles is that there is a hint of a TG UK Australian special. Please don't let it be a cheesy crossover with the new Warniefied TGA.

Last edited:
^ I dunno how much Willman has to do with any australian production. I assume he relies on (bad) advice from some local people as to who would be suitable. Unfortunately nein does seem to think that the average viewer is a complete cretin. I have caught a little bit of Eddie Mcguire doing his thing to the winter olympic coverage... he was interviewing 2 aussie snowboarders and was explaining to the viewers how the Snowboard Cross event was a bit like AFL or NRL!?!? Seriously WTF! :?

Sad thing to remember is that Top Gear to these people is a business, the most important factor is money.

"These people" invented Top Gear, "these people" bring you Top Gear, "these people" care a damn lot about their show, but most of all "these people" are higly-paid TV execs. Top Gear, from day one, was there to make money. Every TV program, from James drinking wine to Simon Cowell shouting at some fat girl cause she can't sing, is there to make money.

Is the Herald Sun a Melbourne paper? Is it generally reliable? The bit about TopGear America throws the credibility of the entire article into question.

Well maybe the Herald Sun knows more than suspected. Today there's a report on the US-car blog Motor Authority saying:

Top Gear USA To Live On At History Channel?

We were briefly excited last year then quickly had our hopes smashed when word of an American version of the U.K.'s hit car-related show Top Gear was released, then quickly canceled after filming the pilot. It had been slated for NBC, but the show may yet live on at The History Channel according to Adam Carolla's CarCast podcast.

Carolla was one of the three presenters of the original American version of the show, alongside race/drift/rally/everything driver Tanner Foust and TV construction guy Eric Stromer.

Tucked in amongst talk of Carolla's $150,000 Lamborghini Miura restoration, the host revealed that Top Gear USA will yet live on at The History Channel. In collaboration with BBC America, the show will see at least one season's worth of episodes.

Carolla himself seems somewhat in the dark on the details, so we'll have to wait for more to develop before we'll know on-air dates and showtimes, but consider our excitement fairly rejuvenated. Sure, it won't be the Clarkson-Hammond-May experience we've come to love, but hopefully it won't be the disaster that is Top Gear Australia. It does look like Tanner Foust won't be joining the new Top Gear USA crew, however, which is a shame, as his presentation and skill behind the wheel would surely have been an asset to the show. Carolla's not even sure that he'll be doing the show.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1042614_top-gear-usa-to-live-on-at-history-channel

Obviously the writer is not a fan of Top Gear Australia!

Update:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-new-home-in-the-history-channel-ar85044.html

Top Gear USA Finds New Home On The History Channel

Let?s face it; the initial run of Top Gear USA on NBC didn?t exactly live up to the enormous expectations of its original UK counterpart; and that?s saying it lightly. Despite the moderate success ? or lack thereof ? Top Gear USA had with its small but loyal fan base, NBC decided to ax the show, proving yet again why they?re the fourth best network in the US right now. Don?t fret, Top Gear USA fans, the show just found a new home in the welcoming arms of The History Channel. Ok, so it?s not exactly the first channel we?d think of buying the rights to air Top Gear USA, but then again, we?ll take it any way we can get it.

According to reports, The History Channel has bought about 10 to 12 episodic rights for Top Gear USA and are also now in the hunt for new hosts for the show. According to one of the hosts of the shows previous incarnation, Adam Carolla, the new Top Gear USA show will also have the same host format, that being three people talking endlessly about cars for an entire hour or so. Carolla even went as far as saying that he?s up for one of the hosting gigs, which leads us to wonder if his former partners-in-crime, Tanner Foust and Eric Stromer, will also have an opportunity to rekindle their stints as hosts of the new Top Gear USA.

We?re all pinning our hopes on the possibility that The History Channel picks up some pretty good hosts for their version of Top Gear USA. No offense to the three aforementioned former hosts, but we feel that injecting some authoritative pistonheads in the mold of a Jeremy Clarkson to be the hosts of Top Gear USA will go a long way in giving credibility to the show.

Last edited:
Let?s face it; the initial run of Top Gear USA on NBC didn?t exactly live up to the enormous expectations of its original UK counterpart; and that?s saying it lightly. Despite the moderate success ? or lack thereof ? Top Gear USA had with its small but loyal fan base, NBC decided to ax the show, proving yet again why they?re the fourth best network in the US right now.

Did the author of that piece do any research?

TopGear USA never had a run on NBC. It never got past the pilot stage. It didn't have moderate success because it never went to air. What small but loyal fan base, the studio audience from the pilot taping? And NBC didn't axe it, they just didn't pick it up.

hopefully it won't be the disaster that is Top Gear Australia.
Obviously the writer is not a fan of Top Gear Australia!

Calling it a disaster is probably a bit harsh. It was aimed at an australian audience, i'm not surprised if the content meant nothing to some guy in the US. :dunno:

Let?s face it; the initial run of Top Gear USA on NBC

Tanner Foust and Eric Stromer, will also have an opportunity to rekindle their stints as hosts of the new Top Gear USA.

Wait... what? Did i miss something?

Did the author of that piece do any research?

TopGear USA never had a run on NBC. It never got past the pilot stage.

Well thats what i thought.

Calling it a disaster is probably a bit harsh. It was aimed at an australian audience, i'm not surprised if the content meant nothing to some guy in the US. :dunno:

Not to mention that it was SBS' highest rating programme during the runs of both of its two series.

Season 1 was bearable, I actually quite enjoyed Season 2.

I think a lot of criticism is from TGUK snobs, to be honest.
I mean yeah it wasn't perfect, but I feel some people were so blindly biased against TGA it's not funny.

15 mins so far and they have really chopped it up. Don't know if it's BBC Worldwide or Nein, it's all wrong anyway.

Fair bit chopped, like the top trumps bit and a bit of SIARPC. Not the worst example ever, but not the best. Wish my sister would SHUT THE FUCK UP THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: change my mind. Lots of ads. Way too many. Not happy Jan :(

Last edited:
Shit i only just got home from work. Is it season 13 or 14? So what did they cut out?